Author Topic: Z fc - the thread  (Read 30568 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Z fc - the thread
« on: July 31, 2021, 10:31:57 »
As implied by the title, this thread is about our new darling, the Z fc.

It is petite and very cute even in its default 'panda' livery. I probably will aim to get the pink skin modification as soon as it becomes available.

Let any one owning, using, or contemplating the Z fc, contribute to this dedicated thread.

Meanwhile, a quick view of the Z fc with Zoom-Nikkor 43-86mm f/3.5, the kit lens of days long gone. My 43-86 is CPU-modified and works flawlessly on the Z fc.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Z fc - the thread
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 12:17:27 »
All six colours for the Zfc are now available in Melbourne's shops - including the pink one, so your wait should not be too long.  There is a curious grainy feel to the metal work, which seems more coarse than that of the older FM/FE cameras of old.

Is your FTZ adapter modified - I am curious about the colour coding spots on it?
Hugh Gunn

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 12:52:59 »
The FTZ is not modified -- the colour dots simply indicate which cameras should be used with it. (I have an FTZ specifically altered for the use with a converted Z6).

The surface finish is silky smooth to behold and to touch, but in direct comparison to the older cameras (I only have an FE2 remaining), it has a tiny bit of grain to it.

If I understand correctly, modifying the skin requires a visit to the Nikon repair facility.

frankv

• NG Supporter
  • I'm in it for the music!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 16:26:41 »
Birna, how is the experience of manual focus of older lenses with the Z fc?
Frank Vevik

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 17:00:11 »
Not bad. Putting the zoom magnifier on the front function button, where your finger almost magically land, will ease focusing to a large extent.

As always with the mirrorless systems, the hardest task is focusing a very wide lens having only stop-down aperture in low light conditions. My Laowa 11mm f/4.5 is a prime example. This is a situation for which an optical viewfinder and a split-image groundglass reign supreme.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 17:07:22 »
I haven't weakened to the point where I am making room in the bag for the camera, but I''ve made a mental note to thank myself for not selling the almost as new  43-86 that has now found a home again in the bag. I will purchase the dumb FTZ adaptor as soon as possible, to keep the hounds on the trail. Thank you, Birna.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 17:30:14 »
Aside from being well made with a beautiful finish, the last version of the 43-86mm Zoom-Nikkor is a pleasant surprise in a number of occasions. Using  a DX camera prevents the weaker corners from making to much of a negative impact to the overall outcome. Contrast is lower than shown by a modern lens, however this hardly detracts when one is aware of the behaviour.

This was the early morning view from my porch with the 43-86 set to 86mm and f/5.6. Run straight through NX Studio 1.01 with Picture Control Neutral.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 17:54:08 »
The main lens on the Zfc for now seems, not surprisingly, to be the 3.5cm f/1.8 W-Nikkor. It matches the Zfc beautifully. While it is not very rare, sometimes finding a sample in acceptable quality can be time-consuming. My guess is that the price of this Nikkor will climb when people discover how well it suits the Zfc.

Appearing very late in the Nikon rangefinder era at the end of the '50s, it was a very sophisticated design for its time. Except for the inevitable lower image contrast, it actually compares quite favourably against the 35mm f/1.8 Nikkor S-Line which is >60 years younger (!!), if one looks at the centre of the frame at least. However, with the Zfc, that part is what you got anyway.

A snapshot of today to show the excellent quality of the 3.5cm f/1.8. It also has very low geometric distortion compared to many more modern optics.

ianwatson

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 23:02:49 »
Ah, sweet temptation! The lens, that is.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 23:34:29 »
Seems the price level on the 3.5cm f/1.8 has climbed  quite a lot in the years since I got my near-mint sample back in the early 00's :)  Something like 10 times?

Perhaps one of the modern Chinese designs, also without aperture automation but with native Z mount, might be a better direction to follow for a small, unobtrusive lens on the Zfc.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 23:49:33 »
Thank you Birna. It looks beautiful!

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 19:31:14 »
Birna:

Have you tried a f/1.8 AIS Nikkor pancake lens on the Zfc?  Esp. the Japanese version with serial numbers starting with 4?

Thanks

Randy

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 20:12:05 »
I have the "long-nose" version of the 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor and the much flatter 50mm f/1.8 Nikon SE. Both are OK, but will have to yield to the 5cm f/1.1 Nikkor RF when the latter arrives in the not too distant future.

The tiny and so-easy-to-lose 45mm f/2.8 Ai-P Nikkor operates better on the Zfc than on the F-mount DSLRs because its controls become easier accessible. Still not the simplest lens to give a work out if your fingers aren't co-operative :( A plus point is that the 45mm gives the 'green square' in the finder when camera thinks focus is correct.

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 21:10:55 »
Thanks Birna:

I had checked the lens I mentioned on your review site, and thought that the early AIS version sounded like a fine lens.  Perhaps I misunderstood that to be the Japanese version pancake, not the long nose you just mentioned.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2021, 21:16:29 »
I can image the tiny and chipped Voigtländer 20mm f3.5 being a nice match with this Z fc. I once owned this lens and apart from moustache distortion it performed well on APS-C. Birna, do you own this lens?