Author Topic: Z fc - the thread  (Read 31224 times)

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
Re: Z fc - the thread
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2022, 10:03:05 »
I also like VR with wideangles in dark places where a tripod or a monopod is prohibited, lenses like the AFS-Nikkor 16-35mm/4. A little large for the Zfc, especially because you have to use the FTZ adapter, but fine down to 1/2".

Ciao from Massimo

Yep, I was just going to add, walking inside amazing old buildings, churches etc I've struggled to get a good iso & high enough shutter sometimes

chambeshi

« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2022, 09:31:41 »
If one started with Nikon with a clasic SLR - notably a FM, FE2, FA or in my case FM2, the Zfc feels a familiar instrument in one's hand. Obviously, it's superior in greater flexibility and all the digital bells & whistles. I have Fn assigned to scroll AFMode and AFC/AFS/MF etc, but I agree I agree only one single Fn button is a big mistake by Nikon. I don't find the battery door much of a risk, because it's must simpler to charge the battery on USB. Downloading images via USB is also fairly fast (RAW+jpg in my case)....particularly as i'd stopped using SD cards after the D780 was traded in.

The main hassle IME is there is no dedicated Auto-ISO position on the ISO dial, top camera left. Neither can it be set up in the i-Menu. A simple work around is to setup this control at the top of MyMenu, and dedicate Red-Record button as the hot key. Rather quick to toggle On/Off, which is must faster than menu burrowing.

I have a 40 f2 as standard prime, and also the nifty smaller 16-50 DX, which is a really decent optic. The 24-120 f4S is my do most longer lens on the Zfc

BUILD QUALITY

Everything OK, except the battery door, which is very flimsy, especially the latch

BUTTONS AND DIALS

Buttons are where they should, the AE-L/AF-L button can be remapped as AF-ON (Menu...Controls..f2).
Be careful, I was fooled the first time around, with the factory default it looks like there are only 3 options available, but if you scroll up the rest of the entries become visible, including AF-ON!

The absence of a second Fn button up front is not justifiable even by aesthetics, if they wanted to make a perfectly FM/FE looking camera they would have had to exclude the front and rear control dials (which are absent throughout the Fex/Fmx series).  Are they working to pull out a ZfcII, like they did with Z6II/Z7II ? I remember Nikon being more serious than that!

It is possible to use the red Video Record button as an alternative to the missing Fn2. The default when not in video mode is the BKT function, most functions that can be assigned to Fn (but not all) can be assigned to the Video Record Button.

The exposure compensation dial is a little smallish, I can live with it, but others did not like it. You can avoid using it with most AF-capable Nikkor Z lenses (24-70/4S and 2.8S, 14-30/4S, 14-24/2.8S, 28-75, 24-200, ...), by mapping the Lens Control Ring (bottom menu option in Menu...Controls..f2...Custom Controls (shooting)) to Exposure compensation. It works flawlessly and smoothly, naturally you lose the MF feature in the lens (can use only in AF modes), but then if you use fully manual vintage lenses you don't lose anything, the focus ring works as usual with vintage MF AI-AIS-nonAI-RF lenses.
One notice: in order for the mapping to work, the exposure compensation dial has to be set to the 0 position, otherwise you turn the Lens Control ring and nothing happens. With that smooth operation you are free to concentrate on the image, and the exposure compensation is visible on the viewfinder (the image turns darker or lighter, and the amount of compensation is shown on the R side).

Ciao from Massimo

chambeshi

« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2022, 09:32:45 »
The Zfc continues to gather attention and endorsements

this guy https://youtu.be/Fw2iA18m7_s

chambeshi

« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2022, 10:02:27 »
40 f2, ISO 2200 f8

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2022, 17:42:05 »
VIDEO

Another use for the Lens Compensation Ring is being able when you shoot video to implement fade-outs and fade-ins. You can smoothly turn the Ring down to -5 (or up to +5) exposure. Not a uinque feature of the Zfc, you can implement this feature in any Z camera from Z9 down to the Z50. It's nice to know it can be done on the Zfc also. You can also assign the aperture to the Lens Ring, it works much more smoothly than the usual front/rear dials which work with clicks, not smooth at all. Try and believe for yourselves!

My new "used" 16-50 arrived today,  they are still dumping it, I only paid 160€, inclusive of postage (SRP is 379€), it's a neat little lens, very good in the retracted position fits most pockets, for me it's going to become my everyday carry camera.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2022, 19:03:27 »
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN Zfc AND Z50

Zfc and Z50 are similar, but not equal.

The main differences are:
The Zfc exposure times can go down to 900" (15 minutes!), the Z50 goes down to only the usual 30"
On the Z50, you can assign UP and DOWN to FN1 and Fn2 for the  Exposure compensation and Aperture. You can do this on the Lens control Ring on Zfc.
The Zfc has a menu option for setting the parameters (focal length, max aperture) of up to 20 NON-CPU lenses. Z50 does not have this one.
The Z50 has an option for customizing the i menu with the ISO selection, the Zfc has a dedicated L-side dial for it.
The LCD on the Zfc is articulated, on the Z50 it is only orientable
The Z50 has an integrated flash, the Zfc does not have one.
The Z50 has U1 and U2 config save/restore buttons, Zfc does not
On the Zfc you can customize the  i menu with the following (not available on the Z50):
  • Interval Timer shooting
  • Time-lapse Video
  • Focus-shift shooting

You can assign the following to the Zfc Fn button (can't be assigned on Z50):
  • in association with dial, change exposure mode (Matrix, semi-spot, spot, ...)
  • Silent photography ON/OFF

The following are available features on the Zfc, (N/A on the Z50)
  • Monitor Color Balance
  • Pixel Mapping
  • USB Power Delivery

Both Zfc and Z50 are compatible with a dedicated Bluetooth remote ML-L7, which has two additional Fn1 and Fn2 buttons, which can be assigned from camera menus with -few- different options than cameras' Fn Fn1 and Fn2. It would be nice if the button assignments could be the same as what can be assigned to the camera's Fn buttons. Instead only 4 assignments are possible.

You can assign the following to either Fn1 / Fn2:
Same as i Button
Same as Play Button
Same as MENU Button
Disabled (No Operation)

The shooting button has no half press. it focuses and shoots.
The + and - buttons at the top are used to zoom in/out during Live View.
The Multi-selector on the Remote, and its central OK button, function the same as the camera's multi-selector. For example, when you are zoomed in, you can navigate up/down/L/R in the zoomed image with the 4 arrows, just as you would do with the in-camera selector. The zoomed image can be a live-view image or one of the photos saved in memory.

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2022, 09:11:44 »
WISH LIST

No camera is perfect, there are features each one of us would like to be implemented in our toys...

On the Zfc, I immediately looked at the Non-CPU lens data menu.
(GOOD) Now they have a menu with  20 focal entries instead of just 9 (all Z cameras have this, Z50 has 0 entries), an improvement over just 5 years ago, where the D500 had only 9 entries
(BAD) NIH syndrome: the possible selections for focal length are limited, there is no option for selecting say 90mm (Voigtlaender 90mm/3.5) or 7.5mm (hey Nikon, you invented this one!)
(BAD) Same with max apertures, you are limited to f:1.2 - f:22 range,  so you cannot properly identify lenses such as 5cm RF Nikkor f:1.1, or Rodenstock Heligons, or a pinhole lens (maybe f:90?)

(WISH) Would it be sooo difficult to have 1 configurable menu entry, where you enter the aperture (between f:0.5 and f:256 just to stay on the safe side) and focal length (between 1mm and 5000mm)?

Chipping a lens is a possible solution, Dandelion chips have a greater choice of apertures (1 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 2.0 ... up to 90, Nikon has a meager 1.2 1.4 1.8 2 ... 22 - very limited choices), and focal lengths starting at 5 6 7 8 10 12 14 15 17 18 20 21 22 24 ... 2000 mm, with 42 and 90 mm available, while Nikon has 6 8 13 15 16 18 20 24 ... 4000 mm, curiously extending the tele choices up to 4 metres  focal length, but with limited choices especially in the superwide/wide angle  section.

Now that the Zee mount has made it possible to attach almost any piece of glass to a Zee body, it would  be nice that they follow suit with the ability to configure any lens.
PLEASE, NIKON, DO SOMETHING!

More wishes coming...

Ciao from Massimo

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2022, 22:34:02 »
WISH LIST
(BAD) NIH syndrome: the possible selections for focal length are limited, there is no option for selecting say 90mm (Voigtlaender 90mm/3.5) or 7.5mm (hey Nikon, you invented this one!)
This is the same situation with DSLRs - the focal lengths available are only those for F-mount lenses that Nikon made. So for example, you have 80mm (from 80-200 zoom), 85mm (from primes), 86mm (43-86mm), but no 90mm. Curiously, 36mm and 72mm from the series-E 36-72/3.5 are not on the list :o :)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2022, 01:28:21 »
Getting the non-CPU data close matters, at least it did to my Nikon D2H. Here is an experiment I did back in 2005. The lens must have been a 105mm f/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor...

Maxtrix with non-CPU Data by Dave Hartman, on Flickr

Where there isn't a match, for a 90mm f/2.8 lens I'd probably use 85mm and f/2.8 for non-CPU data.

Dave

---

[To keep this on the same page: I'm quite sure the exposure mode was Aperture Preferred. The only variable between shots was the non-CPU data.]

[ I posted this note on Flickr with the image...

"This was shot with a Nikon D2H and a 105/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor. Deliberately entering the wrong non-CPU data, wrong aperture, gave incorrect exposure. This isn't exposure compensation this is giving the meter disinformation."

]

[I never tested giving the wrong focal length in the non-CPU data so I'm not sure what the effect would be.]
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2022, 09:41:06 »
Getting the non-CPU data close matters, at least it did to my Nikon D2H. Here is an experiment I did back in 2005. The lens must have been a 105mm f/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor...

Maxtrix with non-CPU Data by Dave Hartman, on Flickr

Where there isn't a match, for a 90mm f/2.8 lens I'd probably use 85mm and f/2.8 for non-CPU data.

Dave

Let me see if I understood correctly what you did:
You had a 105/2.8 μNikkor
You took three exposures varying only the Non-CPU lens data between exposures (105/1.2 105/2.8 105/5.0)
...and the observed results were overexposure, correct, underexposure. Were you using A=aperture priority?

D2H (and D2X, and D2Hs and D2Xs) had only one entry for the non-CPU lens data, but they had a neat option: for the focal length selection, you had a two-tier selection process:
-Initially you selected one of three options (wide 6-45 mm, mid 50-180mm, and tele 200-4000 mm)
-And then you scrolled through only the sublist, a faster process than scrolling through a huge single list

The problem you mention (getting as close as possible to actual focal length and aperture) is brought to an extreme with zooms: what to put in the non-CPU if you use a lens such as a 50-300 mm or an 8.5-25 cm ? I solved the problem by putting three contiguous  selections (maybe 4 for the 50-300): 50, 100, 200, 300, or 85 135 250 and then switching non-CPU lens. On the Zfc the Non-CPU selection can be assigned either to the Fn button or to the red video record button, and you can scroll through the 20 entries by rotating either the front or back command dials (both are acting simultaneously).

Ciao from Massimo

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2022, 09:59:55 »
This is the same situation with DSLRs - the focal lengths available are only those for F-mount lenses that Nikon made. So for example, you have 80mm (from 80-200 zoom), 85mm (from primes), 86mm (43-86mm), but no 90mm. Curiously, 36mm and 72mm from the series-E 36-72/3.5 are not on the list :o :)
They don't have an entry for the 21 mm or the 1700 mm either, but I can live with that...
BTW, the 2.1cm/4 will fit on a Zfc only by adding an AI-N/Z tube PLUS an 11mm extension tube (it fits the Z6/Z7 without the extension tube, in this case the sensor box is wide enough).
You have infinity focussing on Z6/Z7, you lose infinity on the Zfc (MAX focussing distance is about 15 cm, the front lens almost touching the subject).

Ciao from Massimo

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2022, 11:39:26 »
From David's examples it is clear that not getting the correct maximum aperture correctly entered has a measurable effect on the exposure accuracy - especially when the entered maximum aperture is off by ~ +/- 2 stops.

Apart from achieving EXIF data accuracy, how profound is the error introduced (maybe ~10%) by not always being able to always input the correct focal length - especially where spot and centre weighted metering patterns are involved?
Hugh Gunn

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2022, 14:19:13 »
From David's examples it is clear that not getting the correct maximum aperture correctly entered has a measurable effect on the exposure accuracy - especially when the entered maximum aperture is off by ~ +/- 2 stops.

Apart from achieving EXIF data accuracy, how profound is the error introduced (maybe ~10%) by not always being able to always input the correct focal length - especially where spot and centre weighted metering patterns are involved?

Automatic EXIF data accuracy is just a dream, if you don't edit manually the EXIFS you will have a horrible 0mm f/0 in the lens description, the documented focal length will obviously be the nearest available one you entered, and more parameters will be off. Here's a sample EXIF from a photo taken this morning with the Nikkor-O 2.1cm/4 on the Zfc (in red are marked additions and corrections to the EXIF):

[EXIF] ImageDescription: Immagini di prova con Nikon Zfc, adattatore AI-N/Z e tubo prolunga Z Meike 11mm
[EXIF] Make: NIKON CORPORATION
[EXIF] Model: NIKON Z fc
[EXIF] LensModel: 2.1cm f/4 Nikkor-O
[EXIF] ExposureTime: 1/50
[EXIF] FNumber: 4.0
[EXIF] ExposureCompensation: +2/3
[EXIF] ISO: 400
[EXIF] FocalLength: 21.0 mm
[EXIF] FocalLengthIn35mmFormat: 32 mm

[EXIF] ExposureMode: Auto
[MakerNotes] WhiteBalance: Auto0
[MakerNotes] Quality: Normal
[MakerNotes] FocusMode: Manual
[MakerNotes] AFAreaMode: Single
[EXIF] Flash: No Flash
[MakerNotes] VibrationReduction: Off
[MakerNotes] ActiveD-Lighting: Off
[EXIF] Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
[MakerNotes] HDR: Off
[EXIF] DateTimeOriginal: 2022:02:23 09:56:58
[EXIF] CreateDate: 2022:02:23 09:56:58
[MakerNotes] TimeZone: +01:00
[MakerNotes] DaylightSavings: No
[EXIF] Artist: Massimo Bianco
[EXIF] Copyright: ©2022 Massimo Bianco
[EXIF] UserComment: ©2022 Massimo Bianco
[EXIF] Software: Ver.01.20
[MakerNotes] ShutterCount: 440
[MakerNotes] MechanicalShutterCount: 440
[XMP] Subject: (Meike Tube 11 mm) , (AI_N/Z adapter)
[MakerNotes] SerialNumber: 6013963
[EXIF] LensMake: NIKON
[MakerNotes] Lens: 21mm f/4
[EXIF] LensSerialNumber: 226374

[MakerNotes] DirectoryNumber: 100
[MakerNotes] FileNumber: 0427
[EXIF] ExifImageWidth: 5568
[EXIF] ExifImageHeight: 3712

There are a few things that could be fixed in EXIF automatically by Nikon:
-They could have image width and height in the NEF's EXIF (Absent, instead present in JPG's EXIF)
-They could store image width and height according to orientation (if it's a portrait mode they could exchange the width with the height)
-Tey could report correctly the parameters inserted for the Non-CPU lens data entered instead of 0mm f/0

0mm f/0 should be displayed only if user has selected an empty entry among the 20 possible options!

Knowing Nikon's reputation for perfectionism, I don't understand why they haven't got it right in the 18 years (2004-2022)  that these errors are present and documented  throughout Nikon's lineup...

Ciao from Massimo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2022, 16:49:34 »
You make the situation look even worse ... Image Comment should not be "RED" as the user always would have to enter this, if one bothers at all. For cameras able to record audio notes this is moot anyway as you can add whatever info you require there. Z fc alas is not amongst those but the Z6 and Z9 have the feature. Many cameras won't record the lens serial number even for AF lenses and I hardly call that a flaw.

Olympus (I have the E-M1.2) allows you to enter lens focal length, max. aperture, and a label for the lens itself. On the other hand, the available slots are restricted (5 if I remember corretly) and changing between them very awkward, like the remainder of its menu system. Olympus also has the nifty audio note feature although evidently implemented as an afterthought  (like the Z6 obviously).

What I dislike the most is the loss of all automatic features of lenses we have enjoyed since the early '60s, just because we want to put that lens on our brand new mirrorless camera. Hopefully more third-party makers follow Viltrox and Cosina in provided us with updated Z-mount offerings having the required electronic circuitry built-in. Focusing a wide-angle lens at shooting aperture is worse than not having its data recorded in the EXIF after all.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2022, 17:33:12 »
You make the situation look even worse ... Image Comment should not be "RED"

Birna, congrats for spotting this! I meant to put my own additions in a different color, but undoing the html red and putting in the html blue was too much! So I left it in one color!

[ this is also true of the line [XMP] Subject: (Meike Tube 11 mm) , (AI_N/Z adapter) - they are very optional keywords]

Fortunately, with the possibility of zooming in the EVF, focussing any MF lens, even superwides, has become easy-peasy...
On the Zfc, you don't even have to dedicate a button to zooming, the + and - zoom buttons are accessible by your thumb in a very natural manner, and the zoomed image is formed either on the EVF or on the rear LCD, depending on which one is the active display.

I record the serial number of the lens, especially when I have more than one sample of it, so it has become a consolidated habit.

I think it's possible (and a simple task) to create an AIS-FTZ adapter, with a connection to the Ai-AiS ring, and an encoder that translates the position of the ring into the actual apertures 1.4 2 2.8 4 ..., transmitting this information to the body. Naturally Nikon has the power to do this, probably they don't have the motivation...

Ciao from Massimo