Author Topic: Nikon Z -fc formally announced  (Read 6089 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon Z -fc formally announced
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2021, 19:59:25 »
Is it same sensor as Z50?
If Z-fc had in-body stabilization it would be nice but I don't think is has?

In-body stabilization is what I miss most on Z50.

I think the DX-format was meant to be "the" digital format when Nikon introduced it.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2021, 20:10:10 »
The new Z 28/2.8 lens has a plastic mount ! WTF  :-X

It's also an f/2.8 and FX. A same size Z DX 28/2.0 or 1.8 with metal in the build would appeal to me. This lens is clearly intended to be "relatively" inexpensive.

WTF indeed!

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2021, 20:18:18 »
Is it same sensor as Z50?
If Z-fc had in-body stabilization it would be nice but I don't think is has?

In-body stabilization is what I miss most on Z50.

I think the DX-format was meant to be "the" digital format when Nikon introduced it.
IBIS requires extra hardware, weight and depth of the camera body plus costs. I have a hunch a forthcoming (if) Z70 or Z90 (a mirrorless alternative to the D500) will have IBIS in a slightly thicker body. Olympus managed to combine superior IBIS in a very compact body because the M43 sensor is smaller and lighter than a DX and FX sensor.

F2F3F6

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2021, 22:04:55 »
I hoped Nikon would create a mirrorless " Df 2" but this Dx Z-fc  is not what I hoped....

Certainly, it's lightweight, compact, beautiful (I think so), and also cheap (compared with D500)...

But: it's only Dx, no compact Z lenses (compared with Fuji lenses), not so good Ai-Ais or F lenses compatibility (less than a Df), viewfinder inferior to Z5 (2,36Mpix), no vibration-reduction in-body...no classic cable release...

I'm a bit disappointed...! If Nikon produced good compact Dx and Fx lenses, I could change my mind...

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2021, 23:17:59 »
It's also an f/2.8 and FX. A same size Z DX 28/2.0 or 1.8 with metal in the build would appeal to me. This lens is clearly intended to be "relatively" inexpensive.
Dave
Not a lot has been said about the new 28mm lens yet. I agree it would have been nicer if it were faster than f/2.8. Even f/2.5 would be nice, making it a useful half stop faster than zooms covering the same focal length. I think f/1.8 or f/2 in the same size would compromise the optical design too much, or would have to be a DX lens. To maintain the same optical standards of the other FX 1.8 primes, it would need to be at least as big as the Z 35/1.8.

The outer appearance is obviously designed to mirror the older AI and AIS lenses. The lower part is styled like the old aperture rings but it appears to be a fixed part of the barrel. It's disappointing that it does not have a real aperture (or control) ring. In this respect I prefer the design of Fuji and Sony lenses with their dedicated aperture rings. I guess this section provides a useful surface for gripping the lens when attaching or removing from the camera, but the lens also has a chrome grab-ring similar to AI lenses. So much of the styling of this lens is for show rather than functional. I guess the "focus ring" can be configured to control the aperture or exposure compensation like the f/1.8 primes. Maybe this is useful a useful feature but it seems odd to control these functions using a focus ring :o

It even keeps the same 52mm filter size as AI lenses. I think it is a shame the new Z 50mm micro, 24-50 and 16-50 don't share the same filter size, it would be nice to see some standardization in Z lenses.

The optical design is interesting, with a small front element and progressively larger lenses towards the rear, including two aspherical elements. It focuses to 0.19m, a shade less than the AIS 28/2.8. The maximum reproduction ratio is only 1:5, compared to 1:3.9 for the AIS lens, probably due to focal length shortening at close range.

The MTF is very high within the DX image circle. Performance towards the FX corners drops off but is still relatively good:

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2021, 00:56:13 »
I was briefly interested in the Nikon Z fc but it's aimed at different market than I'm in. I want something as small and light as a Nikon FE2 but with AF back button and FV lock. The DX format is fine. If you want more background blurring you use FX, if you want less you use DX. It's a choice if you own both. A fast 28mm Z DX lens in addition to the 28/2.8 SE Z FX would be fine. I guess trying to make the new 28/2.8 look like an old AIS Nikkor is OK but I do see how the "Special Addition" for extra cost to provide nothing more than a grab ring is disgusting to many.

I hope Nikon is very successful with the Z fc and I realize some of the things I want don't matter to many. I must admit I like the look of the Nikon Z fc however "Form Follows Function" so I'll pass.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2021, 09:59:22 »
https://www.fujiya-camera.co.jp/shop/g/gC4960759909275/
the 28/2.8Z is for sale separately, quite cheaply, too :o :o :o from october.

according to my sources, the response has been very good and backorder will look like nikon df situation or even more.

i just realized how easy it is to knock the exposure compensation dial off...something like this should have a lock ::)