Author Topic: ZF-c rumours  (Read 5530 times)

chambeshi

ZF-c rumours
« on: June 14, 2021, 12:10:02 »
Launch end of June apparently. Unfortunate if it is DX but cheaper sensor will price this entry Zed at the opposite end of range to the Df. So a repackaged Z50 in key respects

https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/retro-to-the-future.html

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/06/13/nikon-zfc-retro-styled-aps-c-mirrorless-z-mount-camera-rumored-to-be-announced-on-june-28-new-details.aspx/#more-158087

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: ZF-c rumours
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 12:29:33 »
 :o :o :o :o :o

And the rewind knob?  Seems a little wierd.
Hugh Gunn

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 13:20:29 »
I have really a problem with a DX Z retro camera as it doesn’t make sense with regard to all the old Nikkors as it did with the Df.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 19:36:01 »
:o :o :o :o :o

And the rewind knob?  Seems a little wierd.

The site says the photos are mock-ups. 

I have really a problem with a DX Z retro camera as it doesn%u2019t make sense with regard to all the old Nikkors as it did with the Df.

The camera would make more sense if it had IBIS to stabilize those old lenses. Yes, there would be a problem at the wide end because of the image circle being severely cropped, though I suppose you could use an old 18mm prime to get a moderate wide angle.  The 15mm lenses would give an even wider angle of view but now we're looking at a much heavier and bulkier combo as well as filter difficulties.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 22:17:00 »
Plenty of small & wide lenses to pick from if one uses the appropriate adapter on DX/Z.  Probably makes the combination less cumbersome if a non-Nikkor is used as the F-mount lenses tend to be large and the native Z optics even more so.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 23:38:40 »
I dont understand the concept for this camera ...
After Nikon Df and the skipping of Df2 plans -due to  lack of demand....now we can expect a mirrorless camera with Df like controls - does not make sense to me. Worse it is ust APS-C and not full format - sorry I dont get the idea.
Wolfgang Rehm

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 03:36:20 »
I suspect the idea is to make the camera more the size of the FM-series cameras by giving it a DX sensor.  The Df was much larger than, say, the F3 which was one criticism of that camera.  There have been calls for a "digital FM3a" over the years, and going DX (with no IBIS, either) may make that more possible.  We'll just have to see if this is what they have planned.

Another issue is that many wide-angle film-era lenses have a large ray angle towards the periphery of the image circle.  That can cause image-quality problems on a sensor.  A DX sensor reduces this problem by cropping the outer areas.

Speaking of small lenses as Birna mentioned, perhaps some of the old M42 lenses would make good choices for a very small camera-lens combination.  I expect people will be trying old M-mount and other rangefinder lenses as well.

If I buy one I'll have to do some shooting with my Canon FD 800/5.6L, just to be contrary.  ;)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 04:24:24 »
no FX, no purchase. period. :o :o :o

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 04:51:29 »
I suspect the idea is to make the camera more the size of the FM-series cameras by giving it a DX sensor.  The Df was much larger than, say, the F3...
The current Z cameras are already reasonably compact, although if the grip is removed there is not much room for a battery.

Another issue is that many wide-angle film-era lenses have a large ray angle towards the periphery of the image circle...
There are a handful of "mirror-up" f-mount lenses where the rear lens is very close to the image plane, resulting in a large ray angle to the corners. But most f-mount lenses have a large back-focus distance to allow space for the reflex mirror, so even the widest lenses have relatively shallow ray angles at the corner of the image.

perhaps some of the old M42 lenses would make good choices for a very small camera-lens combination
I am sure that is true, but it seems unlikely that Nikon would build a camera to be used with non-Nikkor lenses :o

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 05:09:35 »
in that case the older L39 lenses would be better :o :o :o

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 06:43:49 »
If you never hold  a small mirror less you dont know how  is it to have a small and light to go  capable camera  :)
See it that way not the other Df way 8)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 10:50:23 »
At present, I'm using my old RF Nikkors on the Z50. The combinations look nice and handle well. Initially i purchased a Sony A7(cannot recall the exact version) for my rangefinder lenses, but the combination was unpleasant to use so sold it quickly off.

The Laowa 11mm f/4.5 is ultra-wide on Z5/6/7, but still very useful as a less extreme wide lens (nearly 110 degrees angle-of-view) on the Z50. Like the other LAOWA offerings it is purely mamual so would certainly blend in well with a ZF concept.

chambeshi

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 10:57:59 »
Judging from forums etc, the key to empower DX and widen affordability of the Z system for action genres is a Z90: with AF at least matching that of the excellent D500. Such a camera should cost relatively less (than a Z9): if the smaller sensor cuts the net cost of a MILC with stacked sensor. Judging from the D500, a Z90 will be used with FX glass mostly.

A 10-20 DX in Z mount will close the biggest gap in the line up. The compact 16-50 DX Z will also be ideal as semi-fixed lens/body cap - types 45 f2.8AIP

Whether it is DX or FX, as we know almost any lens is adaptable to its Z-mount. Indeed, many see a big anticipated role of a ZFc to inject new life into classic glass (mostly FX lenses as said above). Nevertheless, 3 years into the Z system - since release of the FTZ - Nikon still ignores the lack of automatic indexing of the aperture ring on AI / AIS lenses. Equally, owners of older Nikkors still cannot get full AF with a 28-105 AFD, 85 f1.4AFD and all the other screwdriver Nikkors on Zed cameras.... This includes the Defocus-Control primes.

chambeshi

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 10:59:02 »
I see the ZFc glass as half full. The slightly smaller footprint of the Z50 is very noticeable compared to a Z7 or Z6. This is appreciated by those with small hands, and/or seeking a light compact ILC to take to events and for travel etc. It's likely influencers and the Instagram arena will appreciate the ZFc. Owning this camera to be seen with one, posting its images etc might even go viral - across Asia especially.

The niche of the Olympus Trip is stronger than ever, even though smartphones seem to fill it, but this explains continuing popularity of the Olympus Pen. A ZFc should fill it snugly - full control of shutterspeed, ISO, aperture et al, yet also work as "simple" Point&Shoot mode in full Auto with AF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H__HYSAuJU

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 15:51:00 »
A retro Zee camera would only be of interest to me personally if it is full frame to utilize the lens character as originally intended including bonus features like mechanical vignetting. An adapter compatible with the aperture lever of the Ai-S lenses like a Nikon DSLR would also be a bonus for proper EXIF registration, etc.
Cheers,
Jan Anne