Author Topic: ZF-c rumours  (Read 5528 times)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
Re: ZF-c rumours
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 16:06:11 »
Nikon did a lot of things right with the Df. Amongst the wrong things was - i say it once again - offering a kit lens without aperture ring.
When nikon is bringing a new retro style camera there should be a new adapter offering AI and screwdriver-AF capability.
Probably the front wheel will be better (it is a nuissance with the Df) - but I can't imagine that i am going to buy it.

If nikon is bringing a retro camera to distract that they are not on par technologically with their mirrorless opponents this is also not a good sign imho.
Wolfgang Rehm

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 17:43:35 »
I would like to see Nikon or some third party manufacturer make a FTZ adapter with Ai capability.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 18:09:03 »
perhaps some of the old M42 lenses would make good choices for a very small camera-lens combination
I am sure that is true, but it seems unlikely that Nikon would build a camera to be used with non-Nikkor lenses :o

On this particular point I was commenting from a user standpoint in response to Birna's earlier comment, not suggesting reasons for Nikon's rumored choices.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 20:22:12 »
I really wonder who is the target for this.  I suppose there are some people who either miss, or retrospectively pine after, old rangefinders and Leicas and the like,  but who have not already bought the other brands that seem to have done a good job of that.  But from the capability point of view,  the only virtue of a mirrorless camera here is the ability to use short registration lenses, and for that, existing MLC already do this.  For meterless use of old Nikon F lenses, a low end DSLR probably does it better, with no adapter and for less money. 

I may be an outlier on the camera control front.  Love the old Leicas and the like though I do (and as I often say, if I were buried I'd want at least one Nikon F to be thrown in the hole), when I am using modern equipment I do not mind the modern controls.  Once you're used to them, they work fine.  Back in the days of film, I thought one of the nicest designs was the old Minolta Maxxum 7000.  To go along with its innovative AF and other electronic features, it used a completely non-traditional set of controls with rocker switches and buttons. Not a dial in sight. Off-putting at first, it was actually very easy to use, functional, logical, and with the controls easy and quick to find. 

Mind you, if Nikon knows its market, and if the new ZF-c I don't want helps them to survive and funds the development of newer and better cameras that I do, then good luck to them.   

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 20:33:07 »

Mind you, if Nikon knows its market, and if the new ZF-c I don't want helps them to survive and funds the development of newer and better cameras that I do, then good luck to them.

If so then it would be fine. But I dare to raise doubt that Nikon is always right, I see some significant signs of mismanagement
Wolfgang Rehm

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 03:20:04 »
If so then it would be fine. But I dare to raise doubt that Nikon is always right, I see some significant signs of mismanagement
Nooooooo!  I have my fingers in my ears!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 03:46:12 »

Keep in mind that Nikon could not predict the financial future.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 05:31:53 »
Interestingly the Nikon Df can handle non-Ai lenses where before the non-Ai lens is mounted on the Df the aperture follower tab must first be folded up out of the way of where it can foul the aperture ring.  Then the appropriate non-cpu lens menu is invoked where the lens in question is described as being non-Ai.  (Non Df users can download the manual and see how this is done.)

Even with the existing FTZ with such an approach with the right non-cpu lenses menu on a Z-body to identify (as with the Df) when non-AiS lenses are mounted could do easily the same.  I personally believe that it is more that Nikon generally doesn't want to support such capability for us.  Maybe the mooted Zfc will have such menus - well we can all dream can we not!  ;D

My 0.02c worth.

I would like to see Nikon or some third party manufacturer make a FTZ adapter with Ai capability.
Hugh Gunn

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 07:05:55 »
Interestingly the Nikon Df can handle non-Ai lenses where before the non-Ai lens is mounted on the Df the aperture follower tab must first be folded up out of the way of where it can foul the aperture ring.  Then the appropriate non-cpu lens menu is invoked where the lens in question is described as being non-Ai.  (Non Df users can download the manual and see how this is done.)

The Nikon F3 and F4 had this retractable meter coupling lever. The Nikon F5 didn't have it but the F5 could be sent to Nikon to be modified to have this feature. The Nikkormat FT3, Nikon EL2 also had this feature and perhaps the Nikon FM and FE. I never owned the last two cameras.

I wish my Nikon D850 had a retractable meter coupling lever. I own one lens that could benefit from this feature. It would be entirely possible if Nikon felt there was enough demand for the feature. It would be possible on all of the D2 to D6 series DSLR(s).

Probably most Nikon camera owners don't care about this feature. I'm sure that is why the retractable meter coupling lever has been missing from so many professional level Nikon cameras. The Df targeted a group that Nikon felt would want the feature. That would be the reason the Df had it.

Dave

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2021, 07:27:08 »
Hi David - these are my understandings as well.

Since the FTZ adapter does not have the meter coupling lever and its fold away tab, all Nikon has to do is to provide in their Z bodies is a Df-like non-CPU lens menu in which users of Nikon-Z bodies can identify lenses as being non-AiS.

What I am saying here is not new - with the Df they have already done so!  And in my experience with my Df it works just fine.

I'm sure that is why the retractable meter coupling lever has been missing from so many professional level Nikon cameras. The Df targeted a group that Nikon felt would want the feature. That would be the reason the Df had it.

Dave
Hugh Gunn

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2021, 10:04:55 »
For me a Nikon Z camera only make sense as a FX full frame camera. Otherwise why deal with the huge flange size, that is so much not needed volume and weight.
Erik Lund

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2021, 17:44:15 »
Hi David - these are my understandings as well.

Since the FTZ adapter does not have the meter coupling lever and its fold away tab, all Nikon has to do is to provide in their Z bodies is a Df-like non-CPU lens menu in which users of Nikon-Z bodies can identify lenses as being non-AiS.

What I am saying here is not new - with the Df they have already done so!  And in my experience with my Df it works just fine.
Hi, the Zee cameras have a non-CPU lens menu but it only seems to work when using the FTZ adapter whereas on a Nikon DSLR it kicks in when no CPU is detected.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2021, 21:48:36 »
For me a Nikon Z camera only make sense as a FX full frame camera. Otherwise why deal with the huge flange size, that is so much not needed volume and weight.

The large bayonet diameter is not needed for the DX format but is required for system compatibility.

Dave

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2021, 22:04:55 »
Nikon has a number of mounts already, in chronological order these are: S (for Nikon rangefinders),  Nikonos (I-V), F, Nikonos RS, CX (1 series cameras), and now the pinnacle in form of the Z wide mount. Industrial systems used the L39 thread mounts as well, and for microscope the RMS threads.

They could easily launch a mirrorless small camera with an alternate mount, say RF (S) like the external bayonet on the S line of rangefinder models? That would be a dream come true. The rangefinder lenses are pretty good and the smaller DX format would shave off any less stellar corner performance of those designs.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2021, 23:31:12 »
The Nikon F3 and F4 had this retractable meter coupling lever. The Nikon F5 didn't have it but the F5 could be sent to Nikon to be modified to have this feature. The Nikkormat FT3, Nikon EL2 also had this feature and perhaps the Nikon FM and FE. I never owned the last two cameras.
Dave
The Nikon FM definitely has this feature - and due to systematic reasons I guess the FE has it too.
Wolfgang Rehm