Author Topic: How to get non-AI Nikkors converted?  (Read 36921 times)

desmobob

• NG Member
  • Freeze time... Save memories... Make photos!
Re: How to get non-AI Nikkors converted?
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2019, 20:20:13 »
I just got five pre-Ai lenses back from conversion by John White on Monday.  (50mm f/2, 105mm f/2.5 Sonnar type, 105mm f/2.5 Gauss type, 135mm f/2.8 and 200mm f/4)

He did a great job and the turn-around was one week, including two-day shipping on each trip.  They all look good and function perfectly.  He is a gentleman, pleasant to deal with and I would not hesitate to recommend him.

Stay sharp,
Bob

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2019, 20:26:44 »
Recently I had the opportunity to purchase an early Nikkor P Auto 10.5cm, 9 blades lens.  The good news: the optics were good. The bad news: the previous owner used apperently a hacksaw to do an Ai modification..... It was too painful so I tried to restore this.
Basically it was a kind of dentist work. I first drilled tiny vertical holes so my filling material could create a strong grip. I then build-up the wall section with more material. Machined the material down following the original geometry. Sanding, filler/primer/topcoat. It will never be like the original but it's pretty close for a first attempt.  :)
Nice work - the previous owner should have sent it to you for your much nicer AI modification. I noticed that your lens has the extra little extension from the lower edge of the aperture ring, the so-called "long skirt" aperture ring. This feature is a carry-over from the original tick-mark series and is only found on the very earliest lenses. What is the serial number? The long overhang means there is insufficient clearance to fit on some cameras including the Df.

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Near Waterloo, Belgium
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2019, 21:10:45 »
Great job!!
Bruno Schröder

MarcelvanEngen

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2019, 23:06:58 »
Nice work - the previous owner should have sent it to you for your much nicer AI modification. I noticed that your lens has the extra little extension from the lower edge of the aperture ring, the so-called "long skirt" aperture ring. This feature is a carry-over from the original tick-mark series and is only found on the very earliest lenses. What is the serial number? The long overhang means there is insufficient clearance to fit on some cameras including the Df.

Hi Roland, great to hear from you.
Yes this is the long skirt version and you are correct the long skirt version doesn't fit even on the Df. I restored it in its original long skirt way and left it like that. Swapped an aperture ring over from an other 105mm (documented) for time being with my Ai modification to enjoy the 9 blades.
The serial number is 123632. Gold coloured lens coating front and back. Meter/feet. Lens made in Japan Pat.Pend. Seems you need to update your amazing Dbase :-)

MarcelvanEngen

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2019, 23:21:49 »
Great job!!
Bedankt :-) Any questions related to ''invisible'' Ai mod. let me know.