Author Topic: Nikon 1 series with F mount lens  (Read 1601 times)

GraXXoR

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon 1 series with F mount lens
« on: April 22, 2021, 21:39:37 »
I'm loving the Nikon V2 with the 58 1.4G making a 150mm mild telephoto combo. It's perfect for medium-low light handheld...
Anyone else using any interesting N1 + F mount?

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
Re: Nikon 1 series with F mount lens
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 11:54:04 »
I have used a Nikon 1 J1 with a NIKON AFS 18-200/3,5-5,6 G. I use this combo for video clips supplementing my wildlife photography with a D500 and a AFS 500/4 VR. I can mount the video set on top of the 500 mm, so both systems get the same target. I also frequently use the 300/4 PF with a Nikon 1 V3 for a very portable wildlife camera.
Kim

GraXXoR

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 18:02:56 »
The 300 4PF works really well.
I just tried the meaty 200-500 on the V2.
Got a half decent moon shot

GraXXoR

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 06:42:30 »
This vintage manual focus arrived at the weekend. It fits on the adapter and seems to take photos OK, but there is no way to set the focal length since it's unchipped. That means that in Aperture mode, even with auto ISO selected, I get the lowest ISO and the longest exposure possible.
So I have to use manual ISO or full manual mode.

It would have been nice to be able to select the focal length so that the camera can select a suitable ISO/Exposure combo...

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 07:04:43 »
Erik ('Dr. Lens') helped me make a general-purpose FT-1 adapter to allow even unchipped F-mount lenses be recognised by the 1 Series cameras.

A few examples with the 50/1.2  Nikkor on the FT-1/Nikon 1 V1. By the way, Erik also managed the required wizardry to CPU-enable the fast Nikkor lens itself.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 10:34:35 »
"Ultrafast" lenses, ie. those with maximum aperture f/1 or larger, can easily be adapted to the 1 Series models. The small sensor of the latter in fact is beneficial in this context as these lenses tend to have a lot of spherical aberration and optical irregularities when they are outside their designated operating parameters. It is very difficult to have an operating shutter given the very short rear register distance of say a TV-Heligon or similar. The CX mount allows around 15mm rear clearance distance, so whilst not sufficiently short to give infinity focus, still means the image quality of the TV-Heligon (or Oude Delft Rayxar) improves markedly. The 100mm f/1.6 Rodenstock scrapes by to give focus to infinity and so does the 55mm f/1.2 CRT-Nikkor (not "ultrafast" of course, yet an optic of unusual qualities in itself).

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 10:52:51 »
CPU on the Noct-Nikkor surgery also Ai versions

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=276.msg1964#msg1964
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 11:06:13 »
Erik ('Dr. Lens') helped me make a general-purpose FT-1 adapter to allow even unchipped F-mount lenses be recognised by the 1 Series cameras.

A few examples with the 50/1.2  Nikkor on the FT-1/Nikon 1 V1. By the way, Erik also managed the required wizardry to CPU-enable the fast Nikkor lens itself.

Here is a link to the FT-1 CPU modification:

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=479.msg3577#msg3577
Erik Lund

GraXXoR

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 19:05:00 »
Wow, that was some hardcore surgery you performed on that lens! Not gonna lie, I'm super impressed you managed to make it work... Nikkor Noctenstein P.

Gerhard2006

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 21:08:15 »
I'm loving the Nikon V2 with the 58 1.4G making a 150mm mild telephoto combo. It's perfect for medium-low light handheld...
Anyone else using any interesting N1 + F mount?

I have used the 30 mm 1.4 Sigma lens on the V1 and J5 and it makes a very nice portrait lens. It’s AFS as well and communicates with the camera so exposure and auto focus works great. I’ve also used the 55 to 200 VR lens on the FT adaptor with a 3T or 4T close-up lens and it is also a nice combination. I also found that a 28F2 reversed on the FT one adaptor makes an awesome macro lens. I love this camera system and it’s opened up a lot of possibilities. Regards Gerry

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 14:40:41 »
The Nikon 1 Series has no native macro lens, with the FT-1 adapter I use the following:
  • 60mm f/2.8G AF-S N ED micro-Nikkor
  • 90mm f/3.5 AiS Voigtlaender Apo-Lanthar SLII (chipped version)

The Voigtländer SLII is MF, but being factory chipped it is recognised by the body and it appears correctly in the EXIF data. For even more reach, a dedicated close-up lens is provided. With the zoom feature of the Nikon 1's EVF focussing is a breeze.
Of course more lenses from the F series (both FX and DX) can also be used.

EDIT: I am also using the Meike MK-N-AF3A extension tubes (series 1 mount), the series is 10mm + 16 mm. All contacts present, communications (AFS, exposure, EXIF data) are passed between the FT-1 and the body.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Gerhard2006

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 17:52:53 »

EDIT: I am also using the Meike MK-N-AF3A extension tubes (series 1 mount), the series is 10mm + 16 mm. All contacts present, communications (AFS, exposure, EXIF data) are passed between the FT-1 and the body.

Ciao from Massimo
[/quote]

These extension tubes work really well with the 30 to 110 lens as a macro lens with lots of distance between you and the subject.