Author Topic: nikon 1001 Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4  (Read 2272 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: nikon 1001 Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 10:34:06 »
Yes, the peripheral micro lenses on the sensor in Leica M models are shifted towards the center to capture the light rays of steeper angle of incident from the M-mount lenses.

Exactly and that is why some Leica M lenses work really bad on for instance the Sony A7x models specially the high resolution ones. Don't know about Nikon Z for sure, but I believe the Nikon Z sensor filter stack is very thin, compared to Sony A7x filter stack. That will help a lot for this issue.
The micro lens arrangement on the Leica M sensors are designed for select Leica M lenses, not all of them and not the Leica SL nor R system.
Erik Lund

Nikfuson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 10:44:26 »
The filter stack thickness issue is demonstrated well here:
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-kolari-ultra-thin-sensor-stack-modification/

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 11:34:54 »
From here they finds out that Z7 filter stack is about 1.1mm (half as thick as Sony) but if the camera is being adapted it will be only about 0.2mm?
https://kolarivision.com/nikon-z7-dissasembly-teardown/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 11:47:36 »
Different conversion brands have different filters, that's also why they provide focus calibration after conversion.
We are diverting a lot off the main topic here,,,
Erik Lund

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 12:27:23 »
Yes, the "link" back to the main topic was that a Z-body was used for testing the 50/1.4 and that it was mentioned that vintage glass performed well on those bodies.
And if some vintage lenses performs better on Z-body than on film-body it is quite interesting. Maybe even better on a cropped sensor like Z-50.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 16:26:33 »
Who makes the sensors Leica use for their M-cameras?

There are not that many reviews about using Leica M glass on Z-cameras.....especially not the modern lenses. I guess it is the pricing....and not because of "poor quality".....

We have done many tests with Leica M lenses on various other cameras over the years, like the Leica SL and Sony A7x. Also new lenses and they definitely perform best on Leica M cameras.For me one lens stood out; The latest Leica M 35mm ASPH f/1.4 outstanding on all cameras. I really enjoyed that lens, I just gave up in the end - the poor high ISO performance of the digital Leica M cameras killed the joy.Many of the other Leica M lenses suffer due to the sensor thickness, specially in the corners also the sensor anti aliasing filters kill the sharpness.
The Leica M shine only as "a system" sharp lenses, no AA filter, optimized micro lenses. IMHO
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 16:28:17 »
Yes, the "link" back to the main topic was that a Z-body was used for testing the 50/1.4 and that it was mentioned that vintage glass performed well on those bodies.
And if some vintage lenses performs better on Z-body than on film-body it is quite interesting. Maybe even better on a cropped sensor like Z-50.

Those are UV and IR filter modifications,,, and you will need a second filter for the thin one,,,
Erik Lund