Author Topic: Suggestions for a low cost, non-optical IR pass filter...  (Read 1502 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
In poking around the internet one recommendation that seem plausible was using a deep red and deep blue theatrical gel combined from a source like LEE filters. The idea is the combination will block most visible light. They said if those filters absorbed IR they would melt on the theatrical lights.

I want the IR pass filter to block visible preflashes from a Nikon SB-700 or SB-500 used as a commander for Nikon's iTTL/CLS/AWL (and other alphabet soup). I'm needing a commander for my D850 since it has no popup as my D800 had.

Does this make sense? Any better recommendations?

Thanks!

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Suggestions for a low cost, non-optical IR pass filter...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 08:25:09 »
A SU-800 commander or a cheap Chinese alternative?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 09:23:11 »
When I use one light source I almost always use TTL flash. However when I use two or more lights I find TTL too complicated and revert to manual power.

The SU-800’s worse problem for me is when setting manual power it only offers full stops. That’s a deal breaker. The SU-800 has a limited beam spread and it can’t swivel. It only project straight ahead. An SB-500 can tilt up 90 degrees and swivel 180 degrees both right and left so there is a better chance of sending the signals where they are needed. The SB-500 can control two groups A and B and use one of four channels and it offers 1/3 stops for manual control of remotes.

I’ve only found one SU-800 knockoff and it doesn’t seem to be available. I can’t find an online manual but an unboxing video noted only a Chinese manual so I don’t know if it will set manual power at 1/3 stops.

The Nikon SB-5000 as a commander can control three groups, A, B and C. I’d like that but the size, weight and price are deal breakers, particularly the price. The SB-500 is $247.00 (USD) at B&H as I type. The SB-5000 is $597.00 (USD). The SB-5000 is twice the price and must be twice the weight.

So I’m most likely to end up with an SB-500 as commander and for small objects at close range, something I do; not to interesting, I need to block the visible light. It I were photographing people the preflashes sometimes result in blinking. There is a "thing" that flips down over the SB-800's popup. I gab one later and note it product identification. Anyway always used the "thing" when using my D800's popup as commander.

There just isn’t a perfect solution.

DAVe, who specializes in typos :-[

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 09:59:30 »
Fujifilm makes assortment of 3x3" and 4x4" Tri Acetyl Cellulose filters including various sharp-cut filters ranging into IR territory in 200nm step.

Tri Acetyl Cellulose is more resistant to the moisture than gelatine of which Kodak Wratten filters were made.  I typically use very dense IR84 and IR90 filters, but there are lighter IR72 (equivalent of Wratten 89B) and IR78 (Wratten 87C).  The numbers of the filters represents the wavelength at which they cut.  Ex.: IR84 cuts at 840nm.  A piece of sheet costs around 10 USD.

I put them in my Nikon AF-1 filter holder.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 05:04:16 »
Fujifilm makes assortment of 3x3" and 4x4" Tri Acetyl Cellulose filters including various sharp-cut filters ranging into IR territory in 200nm step.

Thank you for the reply. Somehow I missed this until now.

Dave

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 13:11:32 »
Maybe you'll find this helpful : https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=5442.0

The filter instaled is this one: https://www.edmundoptics.com/f/optical-cast-infrared-ir-longpass-filters/12259#f=categories_s

Only problem, the material really is prone to scratching.