Author Topic: Zoom-Nikkor 85-250mm f/4 Auto!!!  (Read 1368 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Zoom-Nikkor 85-250mm f/4 Auto!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 11:39:55 »
Vintage look, flare galore and a free workout ;) What's not to like  ;D
THX for sharing
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 16:22:00 »
my back ached after carrying one all-day...slept for 10 hours straight after that :o :o :o

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 18:52:28 »
Powerlifting!  ;)

You took a lot of sample-photo's.  Thanks again for the link, the shooting, the repair, the review and the article !!

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 21:42:48 »
"It has a complicated 16-elements-in-9-groups design, a bit more complex compared to its predecessor. "

The older lens has 15 elements in 8 groups:

Compared to the newer lens:

The diagrams seem to show the lenses zoomed to different focal lengths but you can see that the overall arrangement of lenses is the same except the new version has an extra meniscus lens behind the front group.

"you could meter with this more accurately and you don’t have to worry about adjusting the exposure depending on which focal-length the lens is set."

Unlike other zooms I think the older 8.5-250cm f/4-4.5 is only variable aperture when set wide open. Once you stop down to f/4.5 and smaller it becomes a constant aperture lens. This was fixed with the newer 85-250/4 version, the extra lens focuses the light bundle more tightly so that mechanical vignetting is reduced, allowing for a constant f/4 aperture through the entire zoom range.

"It won’t focus close since the closest-distance is a paltry 13ft, I guess this is the limitation of the design."

The 85-250 was supplied with a closeup lens. With the closeup lens attached the distance scale is reduced to 13ft - 7.5ft (4 - 2.2m). There is a secondary distance scale for the closeup lens, engraved in orange above the standard distance scale. The first zoom with a macro mode! :o :)

The 20-60cm f/9.5-10.5 is also closely related to this lens. The front part is more or less identical optically and mechanically to the 8.5-25cm f/4-4.5, except the rear doublet is absent. This increases the focal length by 2.4x, with a corresponding loss in aperture.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 20:00:15 »
https://richardhaw.com/2021/03/15/repair-zoom-nikkor-85-250mm-f-4-auto/

time for an exercise :o :o :o

Thanks for the exhaustive article! I have an 8.5-25 cm f:4-4.5 (first series) and by looking at the positioning of the screws, it seems that at least the initial dismantling of the lens is the same for the first series. My sample has a very stiff mechanism for actuating the iris (I can still move it by hand, but a camera cannot push hard enough).
A CLA is probably badly needed...
BTW, my sample was cleverly AI'd by glueing a black metal piece at the L side of the rabbit ears (looking from a photographer's POV), at the appropriate distance for f:4.
I will put this cleaning and adjusting work in my todo list... and when I will have some time, work will be easier and faster!

Currently I have tried this lens at full aperture, it's quite fine for being the second zoom made by Nikon, and also the first superZoom ever built!

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.