Author Topic: The Nikkor-H.C 5cm f/2 in LTM!  (Read 3023 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: The Nikkor-H.C 5cm f/2 in LTM!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2021, 07:10:43 »
please tell me how well it works when you get it. :o :o :o

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 09:57:58 »
Yes, I will do......it usually take some weeks from China......

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2021, 00:00:52 »
I have got the rubber tool set and I think it is quite nice.
Compared to my two other sets of rubber tools the grip is about the same but maybe the grip could be better.
I will try to de-grease it and see if grip becomes better. With grip I mean "friction" so a lot of torque can be applied.

The nice thing is that the tool has a curved profile so it will not interfere with a curved lens element.
I think I need experience with how much friction the best rubber tools has to really compare the quality of the tool.
For the price I think it is good.

I found out that my 5cm LTM is different from the lens in this thread. Maybe because it is an older version?
The ring with serial no. etc. seems to be one piece of metal (the label-ring is not separate). And I think the front element is glued (or was glued.....my version has a loose element and rattles when I shake the lens).
I think I can press the element backwards out of the front part. I will later make a few images of the disassembled front part of the lens.

Lens was advertised as near mint but it has a few scratches in front element and filter ring is not mint either and also a L39 filter was missing. There was no images of the front part so after I complained I got a full refund and I could keep the lens. So I have a free lens to play with.

How do I find out if the front element was original glued into place?     .....and which glue is normally used for such purpose? :-)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2021, 23:37:05 »
I have here the front assembly of the lens where front element should be secured.
Front element seems to be inserted from the back and my guess is that it was secured by glue?
It is loose now. There are some rather thin aluminium foil at the back. Is that a sign that front lens element was glued into place?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 23:57:02 »
I have never seen a Nikkor with lens elements glued into the lens housing nor glued into the element retaining rings.
Looks like a faulty lens or wrongly repair attempt.
Erik Lund

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2021, 09:35:47 »
So it should be kept into place just with pressure by the part it is attached to?
It looks a bit strange with that aluminium foil. Maybe a thin shim is missing in order to apply the pressure when the front lens part is screwed into the front lens assembly in picture.....

Apart from front lens and filter ring the rest of lens is in nice condition so could be a good repair part......maybe.....or it will be trashed......we will see :-)