Author Topic: Nikon NX studio  (Read 47559 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Nikon NX studio
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 20:50:36 »
It appears that NX Studio will open *.NDX files but one cannot select the *.NDX file [from a list] in NX Studio, Load all adjustments dialog. [One can cut and paste the NDX file name and paste it into MX Studio  and NXS will open the NDX file.] More experimentation needed. [I may be talking trash.]

Dave

Why this matters to me...

In Capture NX-D and I'd think NX Studio the user has little if any control over the *.nksc side car files. Because of this I have mostly ignored the side car files as Nikon's temporary files. I don't save TIF/TIFF files from D800 and D850 DSLR(s). They are too large. I use the TIF files to transfer the developed NEF to an older version of Photoshop. If I need another TIF file I create it again by applying the NDX file and exporting to TIF again. I don't need this frequently so this is a minor annoyance.

Dave

Please send FREE 12T SSD drives!
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 21:02:22 »
May be I am missing something here, but if you have edited files normally in CNX-D, the adjustments have been saved in the .nksc files in the NKSC_PARAM sub-folder. So I do not understand the problem with the .NDX files. Those would normally only be written to save very specific settings, before to applying them to new files. (I.E. it is a format to transfer settings.) No need to save an  .NDX file for every .nef file.

(Edited in parallell with last post, but still confused. It is a misconception to treat the ,nksc files as temporary files - they are the edits.)
Øivind Tøien

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 21:07:53 »
Very interesting but stupid!

One can rename an NDX file to NKA, open it and it does nothing! There is no error message and there should be.

Hopefully Nikon will fix some of the rough edges in a sooner than later update to NX Studio.

Dave

NX Studio and Capture NX-D can run simultaneously. More testing needed.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 21:15:42 »
May be I am missing something here, but if you have edited files normally in CNX-D, the adjustments have been saved in the .nksc files in the NKSC_PARAM sub-folder. So I do not understand the problem with the .NDX files. Those would normally only be written to save very specific settings, before to applying them to new files. (I.E. it is a format to transfer settings.) No need to save an  .NDX file for every .nef file.

(Edited in parallell with last post, but still confused. It is a misconception to treat the ,nksc files as temporary files - they are the edits.)

The user has little or no control over the *.nksc side car files, e.g. make some edits, CNX-D saves those in the nksc file. Change your mind. Now what? Try to remember what you changed and change it back. Might be easy or if multiple steps changed near impossible.

Nikon controls the *.nksc files I control the *.ndx files. This has worked fine for me since Capture NX-D became stable enough to replace Capture NX2. 2

...also how do you save two or more *.nksc files for different use?

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 21:30:09 »
My first guess experimenting with NXS on a i5. Windows 10 laptop with a dubious flat screen outdoors in bright light: NX Studio is probably a major improvement over CNX-D. It's very difficult to see the menus and tools. I can't do any real developing of NEF files but I'm trying to get a feel for NX Studio. New cameras will probably not be supported by Capture NX-D forcing diehards to switch to NX Studio.

Dave

I kept CNX2 on my Windows desktop for a year or so until I didn't need it and then switched completely to CNX-D. I'll do the same with NXS.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 22:22:49 »
Run  batch processing is missing as it was in NX-D but you can edit multiple files the same time ;D

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 22:31:15 »
Can you not make a copy of the NEF file and then give each copy their own edits and those are stored by the software?

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 22:46:30 »
Boring. Installation was "successful", but after installation I could find no trace of the software, no shortcut, etc. Can somebpdy tell me where (which folder, in Win 10) the files are installed by default?
Airy Magnien

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 22:52:26 »
C:\Program Files\Nikon\NXStudio

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 22:54:06 »
Adjustment masks (gradient and brush) were a good thing in Capture NX. They are long gone in both NX-D and NX Studio.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 22:56:48 »
Thanks. But there is no such folder...
During the installation process, I got (twice) a message that some old version of C++ redistributable failed to install (I presume because it's already there and used), install proc asked if it should proceed, replied yes, then install was successful. Hard to imagine that a missing redistributable would prevent the program from appearing under such circumstances. I gues I'll have to skip that one.
Airy Magnien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2021, 23:18:57 »
I found that it keeps NX-D but uninstalls View-NX-i which is not a big loss. (It also want to uninstall ViewNX2, but I have tricked it by renaming the folder.)  At its current state it is lacking in some aspects of the user interface. For instance if one decide that there is need to adjust the crop, CNX-D will allow fine adjustment of the previous crop. Studio will reset the crop.

Also I am missing the ability to keep a bar with additional settings on the side as in CNX-D:
Øivind Tøien

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2021, 23:41:04 »
Can you not make a copy of the NEF file and then give each copy their own edits and those are stored by the software?

Yes but that involves taking a lot of space on a HD or worse the premium space on an SSD. NDX are about 10KB in size and NKA files only marginally larger.

NX Studio should be able to open NDX files and apply them to an NEF file if only in a read only mode. Additional edit could be saved in the new NKA file format. That would be enough for me.

Again the user has no control over the NKSC side car files. Some find them annoying and delete them. They are so small I just ignore them.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2021, 23:43:46 »
For instance if one decide that there is need to adjust the crop, CNX-D will allow fine adjustment of the previous crop. Studio will reset the crop.

:o >:(  >:(

Quick test confirms this. Holding the shift key doesn't constrain the crop ratio but jumps to 100%. This is in opposition to many other programs (or at least my version of Photoshop). If I need a particular crop ratio to fit an xx Pica by xx Pica frame and I want to tighten the crop holding the sift key while adjusting the crop really help but the previous crop is thrown out so...

It looks like NX Studio will need a lot of work as Capture NX-D did when it was new. I'll probably like NX Studio in about a year.

<Ctri> + Z (Command + Z) will not undo the last crop. Not quite ready for Beta Testing.

Dave

Was NX Studio pushed out too soon due the the new M1 CPU (or whatever) Apple MAC(s)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2021, 00:14:12 »
Run  batch processing is missing as it was in NX-D but you can edit multiple files the same time ;D

I just batch converted 4 NEF files to JPG files but there is no progress popup as in CNX-D. It looks like NX Studio is playing dead until the JPG(s) show up in the ribbon under the preview image.

To batch convert select thumbnails and then click the export button on the upper right. I still don't see a  progress report. ???

Silly me! I should have looked in the opposite corner (extreme lower left).

Also if you check "beep" in options NXS will play La Cuccaracha or one of a hundred other WAV files in Windows.

Gone to look for a box or raisins...

Dave

The current NX Studio looks like a late Alpha Release almost read for Beta Testing. Is this familiar?