Author Topic: LIGHT Tripod System for an Old Guy  (Read 5367 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: LIGHT Tripod System for an Old Guy
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 11:33:25 »
Looking forward to your findings!When I evaluate a tripod I extend the legs fully, then I do a check of how flexible the setup is by grabbing the top and bend and or twist it, then collapse the leg sections gradually by an inch and repeat the test, it's quite obvious to feel the difference as to how much you need to collapse the legs to obtain more stability or rigidity, often collapsing a leg section an inch helps a lot.
Yes most three leg section solutions are more stable than four. Same goes for column extension if the tripod has a column.
I then mark the legs for maximum extended stabile height use.

Makes sense. I have a whole box of columns sitting around. I never use them because, no matter how useful they may seem, the moment I go vertical from where the tripod legs meet, I pay an immediate price in stability. Sure, I could inch it out, as you suggest, but for me I might as well bite the bullet and extend or retract the legs and maintain whatever stability is there. I am not talking about your test, but only if I apply that to columns. I try to stay away from columns and more than three sections to a tripod leg.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 12:31:18 »
I use an old Gitso GT1540T (2007). I removed the centre column and replaced it with a base plate (Kirk FP-100).
Together with a RRS BH-40 ballhead and Arca Swiss clamp it's 55".
I don't find it very sturdy, but when I don't extend the smallest/last feet, it's ok.
Chris Dees

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 13:59:08 »
Does anyone have a recommendation for particular brand or kind of tripod strap?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 14:21:03 »
Gitzo makes a nice on I use, it's a bit stiff but works quite well with their larger tripods.
For smaller tripod PeakDesign camerastraps works fine with their easy snap on / off ability.
Erik Lund

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 18:39:54 »
I’m using this one from RRS:

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/mk2-qdss

Straps and Quick Detachment fixations come originally from the military (Magpul). It takes about 200 kgf to rip these apart:

_8524083.jpg

_8524083.jpg

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 21:45:56 »
Its probably too late now Michael, but as a lateral thinking solution, have you considered just hiring an apprentice?
  • You could then have *any* equipment carried to the locations you want to explore
  • If you wished, you could pass on some of your extensive knowledge & experience.
    win:win

Hiring would allow you full control over who accompanied you
(since I expect several people would be prepared to pay *you* for a chance like this)

Just a thought....

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 22:15:22 »
Its probably too late now Michael, but as a lateral thinking solution, have you considered just hiring an apprentice?
  • You could then have *any* equipment carried to the locations you want to explore
  • If you wished, you could pass on some of your extensive knowledge & experience.
    win:win

Hiring would allow you full control over who accompanied you
(since I expect several people would be prepared to pay *you* for a chance like this)

Just a thought....

LOL. That's a good one. I never thought of that. I think not, since I like to be alone and wander in the forests, streams, and meadows, and I can take a long time just doing nothing at all. I would drive a helper crazy or be driven so.

Meanwhile, I am making progress putting gear together. It won't be the most expensive, but what I consider good enough for the work I do. I will try to post here the kit, as I finally decide what is best. Thanks for the input everyone!

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2021, 20:28:26 »
OK. Here is my first pass on a light field system. It totals out at 5.42 lbs. (2461.3 g). Of course, I may switch things around, but this light enough to travel some distance and not have my body complain.

LIGHT FIELD SYSTEM

11.82 oz (335 g) Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO - Nikon Z
22.40 oz (635 g) Nikon Z7 II
12.69 oz (359.7 g) LEOFOTO G2 Geared 3D
02.47 oz (70 g) Arca-Swiss Clamp
37.44 oz (2.34 lb, 1061.4 g) Gitzo GIGT1545T Carbon 60.2” (8.6’)

TOTAL+
86.82 0z (5.42 lbs 2461.3 g)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2021, 18:14:59 »
hecking out the lightest carbon tripod I could find, the Oben CTT-1000L Carbon Fiber Tripod and head, using their tiny head (which is actually very nice), the Nikon Z7 II and the Laowa 65mm lens, weighs in at about 51.82 = 3.20 lbs 

However, the bottom line for me is that although very well made, that Oben tripod is too spindly for my use. It also is not high enough, unless you put on the center column which is not a center column that passes through the top of the tripod plate, but one that screws directly on top of the tripod base, a total no-no for me. I hate columns, but might use an internal one to raise just a few inches. Mostly, I don’t touch columns and store them in a box somewhere, where they have company.

I do like the tiny ball head, which has a carefully numbered (but small) pan base and along with an Arca plate, weighs only 5.3 oz. I am going to keep the tiny tripod and use it for holding diffusers, and use the tripod head when I don’t want to use the Leofoto G2 small geared head in the field, for shots that need more angle, etc. I will carry the small head in my messenger bag in case I need it and swap it out (via Arca plate) with the geared Leofoto G2.

Tiny Head 5.3 Oz  (150.3 g) includes ARCA plate
15.4 OZ (436.6) Oben TRIPOD AND Arca CLAMP

SYSTEM WITH NON GEARED HEAD

15.4 oz (436.58 g) Oben CTT-1000L Carbon Fiber Tripod and ball head
49.62 OZ  = 3.20 lbs (1406.7 G)

SYSTEM WITH GEARED HEAD

12.69 oz (359.7 g) LEOFOTO G2 Geared 3D
02.47 oz (70 g) Arca-Swiss Clamp
17.60 oz (498.95 g) Oben CTT-1000L Carbon Fiber Tripod and head
66.98 oz = 4.18 lbs

dickb

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2021, 17:07:54 »
I'm a bit late in finding this thread, but my take on such a system would be the FEISOL Tournament Tripod CT-3342 Rapid instead of the Gitzo. I have the CT-3442 myself, the four section variant that is a bit shorter in transport size, but if I were to buy one now I'd trade the smaller size for the higher rigidity of the three section version. I really like the lack of centre column, I use the flat disc option (there is a centre column available but like yours, mine lives in its box). It can also be exchanged for a levelling base. For ultimate light weight I sometimes use the Novoflex MagicBalance, but that might be too close to a ballhead for you.

Is the Leofoto geared head something you would recommend? I have a Manfrotto 410 but that is more than double the weight.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2021, 21:22:12 »
For my needs I found the FEISOL Tournament Tripod CT-3442 Rapid to be the best lightweight and compact tripod solution. It proved to be significantly better in any aspect than the Gitzo 1228 which I was using for this purpose before (and was twice as expensive). I am using it together with the Markins Q3Emille Ballhead that is small enough to use the Tournament function. No experience with the 3342 but if compactness is no priority I am sure this is the more stable solution - in this case tournament Function is not important as well and a less compact head might be advantageous.

Never heard about the Leofoto geared head so far - very interesting though
Wolfgang Rehm

dickb

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2021, 12:53:04 »
For my needs I found the FEISOL Tournament Tripod CT-3442 Rapid to be the best lightweight and compact tripod solution. It proved to be significantly better in any aspect than the Gitzo 1228 which I was using for this purpose before (and was twice as expensive). I am using it together with the Markins Q3Emille Ballhead that is small enough to use the Tournament function. No experience with the 3342 but if compactness is no priority I am sure this is the more stable solution - in this case tournament Function is not important as well and a less compact head might be advantageous.

By Tournament function, do you mean the option of flipping the legs past their locking surfaces, vertically along the ball head, intended for compact transport?

I often use the tripod upside-down, with the ball head and camera between the flipped legs. This allows you to have the camera at ground level and just above, unlike any solution where the tripod or mounting system is between the camera and the ground. Very useful for delicate subjects like dewdrops on mossy terrain, you can get extremely close without disturbing it. Drawbacks are the lack of locking option for the legs, not a big deal in my experience, the annoyance of having to work the three tripod legs, and having to operate the camera upside-down. To fix that final problem I use a camera cage with an added arca swiss quick release plate on top of the camera, so I can use my camera in its normal orientation.

If the lack of leg-locking-option is a problem, I suppose you could flip the flat disc and mount the camera upside-down that way. The small grub screws that hold the disc are a bit finnicky though, perhaps if you replace those with wing nut alternatives it is more practical.

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2021, 19:11:29 »
I understand what you are looking for. ( Is there any suggestions for a portable stool?) For flower macros, I usually get a wet bottom and knees. I would not schlep the monster anywhere far, but a series 5 is only a bit north of 6lb. It fits perfectly into a $30 ukulele gig bag with shoulder straps. I can use a leg to help myself get up, after playing in the mud. I bought a gitzo 1227/cf, with a B1/screw clamp and found it quite top heavy. (A gripped body or pro style, with lens.)

If you are shooting a 65mm lens on a very light body,.....if it suites your expectations, you got the gold.
<humor>

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2021, 23:54:33 »
By Tournament function, do you mean the option of flipping the legs past their locking surfaces, vertically along the ball head, intended for compact transport?

I often use the tripod upside-down, with the ball head and camera between the flipped legs. This allows you to have the camera at ground level and just above, unlike any solution where the tripod or mounting system is between the camera and the ground. Very useful for delicate subjects like dewdrops on mossy terrain, you can get extremely close without disturbing it. Drawbacks are the lack of locking option for the legs, not a big deal in my experience, the annoyance of having to work the three tripod legs, and having to operate the camera upside-down. To fix that final problem I use a camera cage with an added arca swiss quick release plate on top of the camera, so I can use my camera in its normal orientation.

If the lack of leg-locking-option is a problem, I suppose you could flip the flat disc and mount the camera upside-down that way. The small grub screws that hold the disc are a bit finnicky though, perhaps if you replace those with wing nut alternatives it is more practical.

yes, thats what the "tournament" stands for. So far i never used it the way you described, but i can place the tripod in zero distance above ground, sothe camera height is determined by the tripod heads height. Always wondered why there are so many tripod models with a center column btw-
Wolfgang Rehm

dickb

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2021, 12:51:42 »
yes, thats what the "tournament" stands for.

That's news to me - Feisol tripods from other ranges, the Elite for instance, also have this function, they call it "180° Flip-Legs". So I understood it to mean that Tournament is just the name for a series of tripods that happen to include that option. Not that this matters in any meaningful way, what's in a name.

Quote from: MILLIREHM
So far i never used it the way you described, but i can place the tripod in zero distance above ground, sothe camera height is determined by the tripod heads height.

Well, there is always the thickness of the tripod plate itself, plus like you say the the tripod head hight. If that is low enough for what you do, great. The stability of the tripod when used this way is not optimal, with the tripod legs at a slight angle the whole is more stable. Also the legs spread out flat can interfere more with what you are trying to photograph.

Quote from: MILLIREHM
Always wondered why there are so many tripod models with a center column btw-

Indeed, every design is a compromise, but why the inclusion of a centre column (more weight, less stability, more convenience) is so popular is somewhat surprising to me as well.