Author Topic: F2 and magnifying eyepiece  (Read 4100 times)

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
F2 and magnifying eyepiece
« on: February 08, 2021, 00:58:45 »
Hi guys.
Please, would somebody let me know?
I got Nikon F2 and wonder if there is a possibilty to equip it with magnifying eyepiece? I use one (x1.35) on my D700 and it does help me a lot with focusing.

Thank you for any pointers.

Petr

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: F2 and magnifying eyepiece
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 01:35:42 »
Thinking out loud: can an adapter ring mate the DK-17M to the F2? Since the DK-17M has a larger thread diameter such an adapter may move the DK-17M too far from the prism for optical purpose. The more I think about this I don't think matting a DK-17M to an F2 is a likely proposition.

Nikon makes adapter rings to mate the smaller eyepiece accessories to the F3HP DE-3 and later threads. I'm unaware of any made by Nikon for the reverse.

Depending on the application Nikon made a DG-2 focusing magnifier. Some refer to the DG-2 as the poor man's 6x magnifier. This would not be for any kind of action or hand holding.

Then there is the DW-2, 6x waist level finder (second link). It's image is reversed right to left like a TLR but the camera can be hand held while using it. The 90 degree, 6x finder (first link, mid page) is most interesting to me. I wonder if it was ever mass produced or if it was only a prototypes? The 6x finders offers a beautiful, bright 5x7 inch like visual image.

Nikon Interchangeable Prisms for F2 Series bodies - Index Page

Nikon Interchangeable Prisms for F2 Series bodies - Part II

There is a part III, IV, V, etc. Look for "NEXT" near the bottom of each page.

Something I wondered about but didn't get any farther than thought was adapting a Pentax LX 45 degree angle finder to a Nikon F2 or F3. The Pentax finder might have been a 5x finder?

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 08:21:36 »
Thank you for the reply.
I completely forgot about these - DW-1 and DW-2.
Now I even remember why I forgot them - I probably stopped consider them because they switch the image (respectively do not switch it so it stays left/right conversed as with WLVF).  :-)

Maybe one possible way to improve my focusing is to change the focusing screen - I have the B type - maybe K could be better with its split image. I could try this out with my friends camera. I will post here any findings I might have.

Petr

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 08:46:11 »
The DK-17m is a rare beast these days. To my knowledge the only two places to buy them new are a Korean (or Taiwan?) eBay seller, and an aliexpress seller. Big bucks either way!
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 09:34:05 »
I had DK-17m before but then switched for SMDV eyepiece as it has higher magnification - 1.35x
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMDV-1-35x-Magnifying-Eyepiece-Eyecup-E-01-Universal-type-f-Canon-Nikon-Sony-etc-/162724075265

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 10:29:43 »
Gosh, thanks. That looks very useful.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 18:58:37 »
Searching for "SMDV 1.35x Magnifying Eyepiece" I found this photo. I don't know what it fits but it looks smaller than the Nikon F3HP and later eyepiece fitting size.

I searched but was unsuccessful at finding a 1.35x eye piece for a Nikon F, F2 and F3 (DE-2). I wonder if the photo below is of such an eyepiece.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 19:51:45 »
I tried to install a DG-2 on a F2 and it works quite well (after adjustment of focus on DG-2). It can be "flipped up" (hinged). It clicks into place......
The older version also works (it has no name other than Nikon). Is a bit strange. Normally everything Nikon makes.....even the smalles items....has a name.....
I thinks those magnifiers are cheap on the used market.

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 21:36:07 »
How is DG-2 usable for portraits? I have read that it allows you to see only central part of the image.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 22:37:34 »
I think that is correct that the whole frame is not visible.
So you need to frame first with magnifier "flipped away" and then find the focus point for the framing. Then use magnifier to make exact focus at the point you know will give correct framing.
I will be a bit complicated.....

I think it correspond to zoom in...in viewfinder on a Z-camera with a MF lens to get exact focus.

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 23:19:49 »
Thank you.

As a first try I will experiment with different focusing screen and will see how mch it will change my seeing. Now I have type B installed, will switch for G.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 01:46:10 »
How is DG-2 usable for portraits? I have read that it allows you to see only central part of the image.

This is correct.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 01:56:42 »
I think that is correct that the whole frame is not visible.
So you need to frame first with magnifier "flipped away" and then find the focus point for the framing. Then use magnifier to make exact focus at the point you know will give correct framing.
I will be a bit complicated.....

I think it correspond to zoom in...in viewfinder on a Z-camera with a MF lens to get exact focus.

Unless camera is on a tripod and the portrait subject is sitting in a chair with the back well braced focus on the eye will easily be lost. A Nikon DG-2 will be useless for portraits.

With a Nikon D2H, DK-17M and 50/1.2 AIS at f/1.2 and 2m I found I was successful about 3 out of 4 tries at obtaining very good to critical focus when I sat in a chair. Standing I miss focus almost always as body sway exceeded the extremely narrow DoF. The D2H with a DK-17M gave an image magnification of 1.0x with a 50mm lens focus to infinity. The F3 (DE-2) and F2 (DE-1 and I think all others prisms) offer 0.80x. The F3HP (DE-3?) and F5 offer 0.75x.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 02:01:20 »
Thank you.

As a first try I will experiment with different focusing screen and will see how mch it will change my seeing. Now I have type B installed, will switch for G.

For focusing on the matte surface of the focus screen you might try a NON-RED-DOT B or E screen. The non-red-dot are the screens made for the Nikon F, F2 and F3 (DE-2 or non-HP) cameras and have a course focus grit. The Red-Dot screens are bright, smooth screens and are not suitable for fast lenses. As I recall they don't show focus beyond f/2.8~f/2.5.

I would try using a Type A, split image rangefinder although it's not the best for focusing on a person's nearest eye.

Dave

The best solution would be if a 1.2x to 1.35x finder eyepiece if available for the F ~ F3 prism eyepiece threads. I wonder if that is what is in the picture I posted above. I didn't think to see if I could find the page on which the picture was displayed. I found that picture with a DuckDuckGo search for "SMDV 1.35x eyepiece."

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 07:30:02 »
There are also 3. party screens like "Beattie"?
https://www.french-camera.com/en/beattie-focusing-screen-for-nikon-ff2-90-split-image-plain-xml-246_311-7104.html

They may have made many different types for F2.
I remember that their screens was very bright compared to most "original" brands.
But then the light meter has to be adjusted a bit......probably or a handheld meter should be used.