Author Topic: Nikon F2 AS ready for pano shooting  (Read 2978 times)

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Nikon F2 AS ready for pano shooting
« on: December 18, 2020, 10:51:49 »
About every 6 months, I take out my old gear out for inspection. For this combo: Nikon F2 AS, MD-2 motor drive, and UD Nikkor 20mm f/3.5, we will take them out for a pano shooting, mounted on the Really Right Stuff tripod and ballhead. I used a Nikon D4/D5 Arca plate to assemble the two.

Nikon F2 AS + MD2 + Nikkor UD 20mm f/3.5

Nikon F2 AS + MD2 + Nikkor UD 20mm f/3.5

After nearly 50 years, still operational and in pristine shape  :)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Nikon F2 AS ready for pano shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 12:35:07 »
Very nice setup!

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 12:43:06 »
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 19:03:37 »
Ditto!

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 19:49:51 »
Very nice I've got one with 20/3.5 no UD

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 20:21:17 »
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 20:36:51 »
I still have my F2As though it's all gummed up. I remember my F2(s) fondly though if I ever get to shoot film again it will be with my F3 or F5. I'd like to shoot Tri-X if anything like that is still made. Making B&W prints in a wet darkroom is magic!

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 21:33:43 »
Old Iron from the old days, nice.  Will you be printing the pano segments and physically joining them?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

ianwatson

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 00:18:39 »
About every 6 months, I take out my old gear out for inspection. For this combo: Nikon F2 AS, MD-2 motor drive, and UD Nikkor 20mm f/3.5,

After nearly 50 years, still operational and in pristine shape  :)

A magnificent piece of mechanical engineering! The lens sets it off beautifully.

ianwatson

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 00:20:13 »
I'd like to shoot Tri-X if anything like that is still made. Making B&W prints in a wet darkroom is magic!

I still remember watching my first black-and-white print appear in the developing tray. Magic indeed!

Tri-X is still around. B&H has both it and all the other supplies you will need.

Hans_S

• NG Member
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 02:47:35 »
I still remember watching my first black-and-white print appear in the developing tray. Magic indeed!

Same here Ian. As a four years old, kneeling on a kitchen chair with my elbows on the table, I was told "...watch this..." as the paper was slipped into the tray in front of me. Neither the magic nor the anticipation ever dissipate.

F2AS...I put a role of FP4 into mine a few weeks ago and went out and bought some new batteries. End result was  zero, zip, zilch...the DP12 is kaput...sigh.
Hans Schepers

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 06:51:34 »
I still have my F2As though it's all gummed up. I remember my F2(s) fondly though if I ever get to shoot film again it will be with my F3 or F5. I'd like to shoot Tri-X if anything like that is still made. Making B&W prints in a wet darkroom is magic!

Dave

Ah, what a pity.

Old Iron from the old days, nice.  Will you be printing the pano segments and physically joining them?

I don’t think so. The film will be digitized and processed further the “digital way”

A magnificent piece of mechanical engineering! The lens sets it off beautifully.

Thank you, too kind.

Same here Ian. As a four years old, kneeling on a kitchen chair with my elbows on the table, I was told "...watch this..." as the paper was slipped into the tray in front of me. Neither the magic nor the anticipation ever dissipate.

F2AS...I put a role of FP4 into mine a few weeks ago and went out and bought some new batteries. End result was  zero, zip, zilch...the DP12 is kaput...sigh.

My DP12 still working with batteries which are in for I don’t remember how long. DP12 with its ruby red -o+ indicators.

This said, my several attempts to revive my film apparel hasn’t been too successful. I had too much of darkroom, Chromegas, E6, Kodak Model 11/16 drum processors, Gretag Macbeth Densitometers, Cibachrome, and even Dye Transfer. I’m happy to live now into the digital age  :)

Thank you all for your comments  ;)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2020, 07:35:21 »

Rather than a DP-12 I recommend a Pentax Digital Spotmeter and a simplified zone system. All of my Tri-X was pull processed in D-76 1:2. Instead of developing each sheet of film according the number of zones I took up the slack in the darkroom with variable contrast paper. This worked great for me for roll film cameras. The full zone system, as I see it, only works with sheet film but I was too lazy. I used much the same process for 4x5 only I developed in HC110 B as I recall.

A quick look at eBay showed several DP-12 finders for $379.00 (USD) or so.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2020, 07:57:28 »
Hans, did you clean the battery contacts with Q-tips and alcohol. Once had a MD-12 motor that did nothing. I cleaned the contacts and then called a repairman friend and asked him to order the main board for the MD-12. He said, "Did you clean the contacts?" I said, "Yes but I'll do it again." I did a thorough job as alcohol isn't a solvent of wax. The MD-12 sprang to life and was fine from then on. I suspect there was a wax based lip balm on the contacts.   

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2020, 12:04:21 »
It might be worth Googling "Sover Wong" in the UK.  He has an awesome reputation for bring F2 cameras and their finders back to life.  He sometimes has F2 cameras and accessories for sale.

His link is here: https://soverf2repair.webs.com/

Disclaimer:  I am not associated with Sover Wong in any way, but have been aware of his work and good reputation for some years.
Hugh Gunn