Author Topic: AF-S 85mm f/1.8G v. AF 85mm f/1.8D Nikkors...  (Read 2052 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
AF-S 85mm f/1.8G v. AF 85mm f/1.8D Nikkors...
« on: December 18, 2020, 08:50:54 »
Any opinion on these lenses? My understanding is the AF-S version is ALL plastic while the AF-D version is plastic outside and metal inside. The AF-S has the M/A focus feature while the AF-D has to have the AF switch on the body changed to the manual position to use manual focus.

How to they compare in sharpness? What about flare and ghost: is there an important difference? and what about bokeh? These are portrait length lenses so although I'm fond of sharp lenses flare and ghost control and bokeh trump sharpness.

I don't expect I'll own an AF-S 85mm f/1.4G this side of Jordan.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

ianwatson

Re: AF-S 85mm f/1.8G v. AF 85mm f/1.8D Nikkors...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 18:29:27 »
I have not tried the AF-D version but remember reading that its bokeh was a bit harsh. The AF-S lens does very well here.

The AF-S lens may be entirely plastic but that is probably more of a problem in our heads than in reality. Autofocus is reliable. Manual focus is hindered by a very short throw and a slight lag in response when changing direction. It is possible but you will not enjoy it. Sharpness is all you could ask. Flare and ghosts? I pay less attention to where the sun is with the AF-S 1.8G than I do with my AF-D 1.4D. I do not remember the former giving me trouble.

Does your budget stretch to the 85mm f/1.4D? It is all metal and glass, except for the plastic ring that selects manual or autofocus. These rings once had a tendency to crack but Nikon seems to have quietly fixed the problem over the years. Rendering is lovely! Just be careful when the sun is just outside the frame. I should probably find where I put the hood......

ianwatson

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 18:31:04 »
Here are a couple of examples from the AF-S 85mm f/1.8G. The first is at f/2, the second is at f/2.8.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 19:11:23 »
I have used and enjoy both of them and I agree with Ian. At the end, I have the 85mm1.8G

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 20:06:58 »
I still have the G version but not the D
I can say that is very sharp across the frame, very neutral, a little higher contrast , little cold rendering, and the things I don't like: pink-purple fringing in the out of focus areas wide open
a keeper for me :)
this is f 2.2 on D750

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 20:46:56 »
The AF-S lens may be entirely plastic but that is probably more of a problem in our heads than in reality.

Does your budget stretch to the 85mm f/1.4D? It is all metal and glass, except for the plastic ring that selects manual or autofocus.

I should probably find where I put the hood......

Given my age the all plastic AF-S 85/1.8G will probably outlive me.

No budget. I'm dreaming of anything. I usually don't sell tool but I might tray to raise money. I'd like to get the AF-S 85/1.4G. Time will tell.

I use a hood on every lens and store these hoods in forward and ready to use possession. There are very few lenses that don't benefit from having a hood in place.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 20:54:13 »
Thank you for all the replies. I'm going to see what I can find to sell.  :)

My AF-S Nikkors include...

20/1.8
50/1.8
105/2.8 Micro

I used mostly these lenses with my D800 as I wasn't confident in the AF for my D800 with AF and AF-D lenses. Maybe it was me; maybe it was the D800.

Dave

Gerhard2006

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 17:16:10 »
I have the 85AF non-D lens and I went to a Camera Store and compared it with the AFS lens and shot for shot , wide open and at F4 I could not see any difference in the images so I didn’t buy the new lens. The new lens is a little bit better in the Bokeh department but if you want an inexpensive lens with awesome Bokeh try the Samyang 85 1.4 AE lens. It is sharper wide open than the 85 1.8 lens I have. I owned the lens for a while but I gave it to my son who shoots video but I was very impressed with the lens and I just may buy it again. When I need auto focus I use the AF lens, when I have the time I always used the 1.4.Flare resistance on the Samyang was also pretty good. Regards Gerry

Daniel Bliss

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 03:59:04 »
I think the AF-S G is very good. Let's get out of the way what I don't like; there is a slight quirk in the lens with regard to just where it focuses given a particular color and occasionally with strongly contrasting colors I feel it induces minor AF errors from time to time -- a red-to-black transition is in focus at a very slightly different distance from a red-to-white one for example, not really enough to cause trouble in prints but enough to throw the AF just a bit off.

But all in all, just a really good lens with nice bokeh and no CA to speak of. It also handles really well. Unlike the other f1.8 micromoter AF-S lenses, there's no slack between the focus ring and the lens elements -- manual focus action on this lens is immediately responsive and accurate and very nice. Short of the higher-end ring-motor lenses, the only other micromotor products I can think of that share this pleasant trait are the 18-35 3.5-4.5 AF-S and the 300/4 PF. (Note I've not had a chance to check out the f1.4 glass for this)

If you want something better but don't want to splurge on an f1.4 85mm from Nikon/Sigma/etc, or else don't want to splurge on physical therapy after getting an f1.4, check out the Tamron 85 f1.8 VC, which if anything seems even better optically and introduces image stabilization (though also extra weight -- not f1.4 weight, but weight nonetheless). Takes the same 67mm filters though.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 04:07:44 »
the G is a lot better. I had the D, didnt last very long with me 10 years ago :o :o :o

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 09:08:59 »
I cannot compare these two personally as I had only D version (before switching to 1.4 D), but I can post some sample photo taken with it.
I can say I was happy with it as portrait glass.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 10:18:18 »
the CA is exactly as how i remembered it 10 years ago :o :o :o

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 10:53:09 »
I had the D version and sold it when I bought the 85/1.4 G. No regret.

The D was a solid lens, with good resolution from f/2.2. Somewhat disturbing was the blue fringing at wide apertures, on high contrast edges. For its main intended purpose (portraits), it was good enough for sure (see Petr's portraits above!). The 85/1.4G proved much more versatile for street or night shots, and bokeh is somewhat better.
Airy Magnien

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 04:05:29 »
Petr's portraits are very good!  I have only used the AF-D.  I like it, but at close distances colour fringing on slightly out-of-focus high-contrast edges can be very noticeable and distracting.  It can be removed with the manual CA corrections in photoshop, but in my experience, only with some sacrifice of contrast and colour vibrance in the rest of the image.  I have been waiting (for a long time now) to replace it with a good 85/1.4 AF-D at the right price.  Some day ...
Cheers,  John

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 07:54:11 »
for what its worth, the ai-s version is even better in my experience :o :o :o