Author Topic: 20/2.8ais  (Read 5697 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
20/2.8ais
« on: December 16, 2020, 06:17:09 »
i have always been curious about this lens...

i had the 20/2.8D for a couple of years and had shot MANY photos with it, mostly landscapes :o :o :o

while I like it a lot, i found that it is not as sharp as what id imagine a prime lens would be.

now, i have been hearing that the ais is much better optically...i also assume that they both have the same optics, how could this be?

can anybody confirm that the ais is indeed better optically? Roland, Eric? Bjirna? anyone? ::)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: 20/2.8ais
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 10:16:50 »
The AIS is not perfectly identical with the later AF as the optics of the  latter was tweaked to function better for autofocusing.

The 20/2.8 AIS does best at fairly short distances, but is not bad for landscapes either. I used it mainly in an underwater housing for which its near-distance capabilities can be well exploited.  It has a propensity for flare that I could do without, though.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 16:54:09 »
2017-01-15 002-1-2 by longzoom, on Flickr.   This lens is among the sharpest ever but needs to be adjusted manually. First of all, be sure the lens is not decentered, even to the smallest amount, corner-to-corner. Then, after opening it from the front, adjust its floating compensation optical group. It is a very, very precise job, almost microscopic one, but possible. Will take you about 15-20 hours, without coffee, hah! The result is directly in front of your eyes. Taken at f 4.0. Good luck!  LZ

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 19:47:13 »
The 20/2.8 Ai-S is ideal for travelling for its size and general quality.  I like it.  Had the AF before, but prefer the Ai-S version.

Granville, France   August 2020

Donville Les Bains,  August 2020

Also France

Den Haag, November 2019

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 20:19:16 »
My copy of the AiS was very good, sharpness-wise; the best of the Nikon manual focus 20mm lenses in my experience. Seemed fine at long distance on the D3 camera. It had the most pronounced case of wave-type distortion from any lens I have ever used. More pronounced than the Zeiss ZF 21/2.8!
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 00:19:47 »
jeeeeeeez....

i dont want to be adjusting anything on the ais...

i just want to overhaul and document one :o :o :o

these still cost a lot in the used market, even for junk ::)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 00:27:12 »
I have only unfortunate experiences with 20/2.8, Ais or AF.  I had used an Ais with my F100, but the peripheral areas are always soft, and the corners are always smeared.  Since then, I have tested around ten samples of Ais and AF on D750, but never found even a decent sample.  I have very good experiences with all of the previous 20s: f3.5 (52mm filter), f4.0 as well as f3.5 (72mm filter).

The quality of the images that have been posted by Longzoom look unbelievably amazing to me.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 01:11:16 »
jeeeeeeez....

these still cost a lot in the used market, even for junk ::)

is $420 a good price for a brand new copy? its advertised as a discounted price in a local store.  :)
Keep shooting,
Bern

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 01:12:03 »

The quality of the images that have been posted by Longzoom look unbelievably amazing to me.
[/quote]  m2017-05-12 023-1 by longzoom, on Flickr 2017-05-12 023-1-2 by longzoom, on Flickr     Thank you, Akira! One more TECHNICAL image with the crop, to check color of this dinosaur.  F8.0, for DOF.  LZ

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 01:33:00 »
is $420 a good price for a brand new copy? its advertised as a discounted price in a local store.  :)

yes it is :o :o :o

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 08:12:10 »
The 20/2.8 AIS does best at fairly short distances, but is not bad for landscapes either. I used it mainly in an underwater housing for which its near-distance capabilities can be well exploited.  It has a propensity for flare that I could do without, though.

When I first bought my 20/2.8 AIS I was seriously considering selling my 20/3.5 AI. I checked your legacy site...

"This tiny lens is extremely well corrected for flare and ghosting; accordingly is the inside tip for nature photographers fond of shooting into the sun (I am one of those)."

This one sentence saved me from a major mistake. I had taken the flare resistance of the 20/3.5 AI for granted. I still own both lenses.

Thank You!

Dave

I like the 20/2.8 AIS because it can be hand held at low shutter speeds in low light and I can still get good results. The second shot was at 1/30th f/8.0...

Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 15:29:54 »
Does anyone have experience with those Tokina, Vivitar, Tamron manual 17mm? How do they compare to Nikkor?

z.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 16:38:12 »
Hmm...not only Longzoom, but also John and Dave found good samples...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 17:11:14 »
Add me to that list as well ... I like the 20/2.8 AIS quite well, but for me it is a lens that waxes and wanes in its frequency of use. Just compiled my usage pattern off the data base and apparently it has been used mostly for IR the last years.

I made a small collection of images below to show what the 20 can be used for. (the night bus in Amsterdam is ISO 25600 on the Df, by the way).

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 08:43:21 »
I would add to the comparison between the AIs and the AF-D 20/2.8 the fact that the AF-D is a plastic lens, while the AIs is the usual Nikon tank of a lens. When presented with both samples side by side in the early nineties, I had no doubt and chose the AIs.
It proved being a tank: it survived falling off my camera bag from a sea cliff in Andøya, Vesterålen, and caroming down the rocks it landed at the bottom. I had a hard time climbing down to recover it: only one of the rabbit ears was slightly bent, quickly straightened with pliers. Quality was good  before and after the fall...

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.