Gear Talk > Camera Talk

Nikon D850 and Manual Focus with Legacy Nikkors?

<< < (7/8) > >>

David H. Hartman:
I find I'm able to use the DK-17M (1.2x) eyepiece with my D850 without glasses but then the top LCD and rear tilting monitor are too blurry for my use. With glasses I have to move camera in relation to my eye to see the corners and viewfinder data. The DK-17M as I suspected is not useful to me on the D850. I bought the DK-21M (1.2x) viewfinder eye piece for my D300s but it wasn't useful to me on that camera.   

A younger photographer who doesn't shoot with glasses can probably use the DK-17M on a D850. One's facial structure plays a roll. A boost from a 0.75x to 0.90x viewfinder magnification would be great for those who can use the DK-17M on their Nikon Camera.

I'm not particularly disappointed as I didn't think I could use the DK-17M on my D850 since I wasn't able to use it on my D800.

Dave

Airy:
A pity you can’t use it. The DK17M was a systematic add-on since I first used the D700, eleven years ago. Without it, I would probably give up manual focus or move to mirrorless.

David H. Hartman:

--- Quote from: Airy on December 14, 2020, 08:29:41 ---A pity you can’t use it. The DK17M was a systematic add-on since I first used the D700, eleven years ago. Without it, I would probably give up manual focus or move to mirrorless.

--- End quote ---

If I was younger the DK-17M would be on my D850. The viewfinder focus indicator is useful but not as useful as the one in the F5 which was red-green-red instead of all white and could be used with peripheral vision. I think my D2H had the red-green-red display also. I wonder if the D6 has the red-green-red focus indicator but I doubt it.

There are visual tells to when critical focus is achieved on a repeating subject pattern, a moiré pattern on the focus screen or display. The D850 is as good as the F3HP and F5 for manual focus on the matte surface so for now it's OK.

Dave

MFloyd:

--- Quote from: David H. Hartman on December 15, 2020, 03:16:53 ---If I was younger the DK-17M would be on my D850. The viewfinder focus indicator is useful but not as useful as the one in the F5 which was red-green-red instead of all white and could be used with peripheral vision. I think my D2H had the red-green-red display also. I wonder if the D6 has the red-green-red focus indicator but I doubt it.

There are visual tells to when critical focus is achieved on a repeating subject pattern, a moiré pattern on the focus screen or display. The D850 is as good as the F3HP and F5 for manual focus on the matte surface so for now it's OK.

Dave

--- End quote ---

Just checked this morning: the D6 has the focus indicator as a white dot surrounded by two white arrows, who light up.

David H. Hartman:

--- Quote from: MFloyd on December 15, 2020, 09:42:54 ---Just checked this morning: the D6 has the focus indicator as a white dot surrounded by two white arrows, who light up.

--- End quote ---

What a shame. The red-green-red display was so easy to use with peripheral vision. If I and my eyes were younger I could shoot without glasses and use the DK-17M with my D850.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version