Author Topic: Nikon D850 and Manual Focus with Legacy Nikkors?  (Read 6521 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Nikon D850 and Manual Focus with Legacy Nikkors?
« on: November 25, 2020, 23:58:17 »
I've been searching the archives but I'm not finding what I'm looking for hence this question...

I'm wondering if the D850 viewfinder is significantly better for manual focus of AI and AIS Nikkors than the D800? Can anyone compare the D850 viewfinder to cameras I'm familiar with like the Nikon F3, F3HP and F5. What about a comparison between the D2H and D850 viewfinders? Did dropping the popup flash give Nikon a chance to design a better D850 viewfinder? Did they take it?

I'm under using my pleasant collection of manual focus Nikkor and considering a D850 as the price is down about $800.00 compared to a year ago. 

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Dave

Searching at https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/ I refreshed my memory of the F3/F3HP. The F2 (DE-2) had a image magnification with a 50mm at infinity or 0.8x and the F3HP (DE-3) had an image magnification of 0.75x. Of all Nikon SLR(s) I've used to date the F3 non-HP offers the most comfortable viewfinder of any I'm used. The F3HP and F5 came in second.

The F3 and F3HP can use the course non-Red Dot screens that are more suited to fast lenses. The "Fruit" as it were of the older Nikon screens can be transplanted into the F5 finder frames. The one finder screen I butchered was a slip while installing a D screen into an F5 frame. [now i remember I tried to mark the "D" with cross hairs and slipped. I was probably using an X-acto knife.]
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

ianwatson

Re: Nikon D850 and Manual Focus with Legacy Nikkors?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 02:23:07 »
I have no experience with the D850. However, I can say that the Canon S screen is wonderful for manual focus. You can obtain one that has been cut to fit from focusingscreen.com if the stock screen is not up to snuff.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 06:49:54 »
Thank you for the information. It's something to look into.

Dave

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 10:04:55 »
From the Designers point of view, Google translate Quote;
——On the other hand, the optical viewfinder function is substantial, but why did you install an optical viewfinder with specifications that partially exceed the D5?
Hara: From the beginning of the project, the D850 was a camera that mainly used an optical viewfinder, and we examined how much the viewfinder performance could be improved. We already have a great viewfinder for the D5, how far can we exceed this, for example with a finder magnification? There was an argument.
After considering it, I thought that it would be possible to make it about 0.75 times as much as 0.72 times D5, so I decided to try this once. Since the D850 is a high-resolution camera, it was easier to check the focus with a large viewfinder display.
0.72x is a well-balanced viewfinder magnification for the D5, which is designed for sports photography, because it allows you to quickly see the entire field of view. However, since the D850 is a high-pixel model, I decided to go a little further and make it as large as possible.
Quote end.

The viewfinder is very good IMHO, much better/larger than in the D810 i used before i got the D850.
There is a thread here on changing for other Screens:

https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=7298.0
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 10:40:21 »
I agree the D850 viewfinder is great, it is clear and has more even illumination across the frame and higher magnification than previous models in the D8x0 series. The D810 was already an improvement in viewfinder clarity over the D800 due to improved coatings. However, with the D5/D6 viewfinder, I can see the edges more easily as I wear eyeglasses. It is interesting to see that it is by intention of the designers.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 22:39:08 »
Thank you guys! I think it's time to pull the trigger on a D850.

Dave

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 03:25:28 »
A good time to buy - there are some good pre-Christmas discounts here in my part of the world.  Enjoy!

Thank you guys! I think it's time to pull the trigger on a D850.

Dave
Hugh Gunn

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 03:32:10 »
A good time to buy - there are some good pre-Christmas discounts here in my part of the world.  Enjoy!

Also in the U.S. - $500 off list price and $800 off the original price.  I've had my eye on this camera for years and I finally pulled the trigger earlier this month.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 04:05:59 »
I've been searching the archives but I'm not finding what I'm looking for hence this question...

I'm wondering if the D850 viewfinder is significantly better for manual focus of AI and AIS Nikkors than the D800? Can anyone compare the D850 viewfinder to cameras I'm familiar with like the Nikon F3, F3HP and F5. What about a comparison between the D2H and D850 viewfinders? Did dropping the popup flash give Nikon a chance to design a better D850 viewfinder? Did they take it?

I'm under using my pleasant collection of manual focus Nikkor and considering a D850 as the price is down about $800.00 compared to a year ago. 

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Dave

Searching at https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/ I refreshed my memory of the F3/F3HP. The F2 (DE-2) had a image magnification with a 50mm at infinity or 0.8x and the F3HP (DE-3) had an image magnification of 0.75x. Of all Nikon SLR(s) I've used to date the F3 non-HP offers the most comfortable viewfinder of any I'm used. The F3HP and F5 came in second.

The F3 and F3HP can use the course non-Red Dot screens that are more suited to fast lenses. The "Fruit" as it were of the older Nikon screens can be transplanted into the F5 finder frames. The one finder screen I butchered was a slip while installing a D screen into an F5 frame.

I replaced the Focussing Screen in my D850 with an F6-Type the like of which is used in the D500. I remember to have discussed that process in a thread somewhere.

Best use of legacy Nikkors is with the Z-Series of Cameras in my Opinion. That is why I use AF-S G&E Lenses with the D850 and manual glass with the Z6

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 04:06:44 »
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 04:33:24 »
If a need particular focusing / use of manual lenses, the D850 has all the tools you need in Lv mode.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 05:15:20 »
I have no experience with the D850. However, I can say that the Canon S screen is wonderful for manual focus. You can obtain one that has been cut to fit from focusingscreen.com if the stock screen is not up to snuff.

Be advised that the excellent matte view of the Canon S-screen comes at the cost of not being very bright with not so large aperture lenses, considerably darker than than the not longer available  Katzeye all matte (non-Optibright) screen that was based on FM3a screens. https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=539.msg31727#msg31727
Øivind Tøien

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2020, 05:43:27 »
Good on you Bill.  You enjoy as well!  An early Merry Christmas in a hell of a year.

Also in the U.S. - $500 off list price and $800 off the original price.  I've had my eye on this camera for years and I finally pulled the trigger earlier this month.
Hugh Gunn

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2020, 05:50:48 »
Be advised that the excellent matte view of the Canon S-screen comes at the cost of not being very bright with not so large aperture lenses...

The brighter Nikon F3HP Red-Dot screens only revel accurate focus to about f/2.8~f/2.5. The course texture of the earlier F2 and F3 screens are perhaps good to about f/1.4.This is my subjective evaluation. I'm sure there are others here with more accurate knowledge who can affirm or clarify if I'm off the mark. Anyway there is a trade off between bright and accurate with fast lenses.

I've never tried an optibright screen so I can't comment on those.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2020, 07:00:33 »
Best use of legacy Nikkors is with the Z-Series of Cameras in my Opinion. That is why I use AF-S G&E Lenses with the D850 and manual glass with the Z6

If Inwere a real person instead of a "Toon" (Who Framed Roger Rabit, 1988) I'd probably buy a Z7 II as I've long suspected that Nikon mirrorless cameras are a good option for them. Also mirrorless being silent should make a good "fly on the wall" camera for taking candid photos of people.

Dave