Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

NEW-Nikkor 135mm f/3.5

(1/2) > >>

richardHaw:
https://richardhaw.com/2020/11/14/repair-new-nikkor-135mm-f-3-5/

the last of its kind :o :o :o

its quite surprising how well it performed, easily the best 135/3.5 of the 4/3 variety.

Airy:
Your testing procedure is as interesting (and accurate) as ever, by using various distances and backgrounds, and shooting real scenes rather than charts or brickwalls. Thanks for that. I just went through a dozen of these, and they corroborate my own experience well when I happen to already own the lens.

Roland Vink:
The optics of the New-Nikkor 135/3.5 are not quite the same as the tick-mark 13.5cm/3.5 that you reviewed previously. The optics of the older lens were taken directly from the rangefinder lens and were used on f-mount lenses up to 1969. At that point the lens was upgraded, the new lens has a similar 4-element optical design but is clearly different:

OLD:

NEW:

The new Nikkor-Q 135/3.5 looks outwardly similar to the older version but can be distinguished by the following:
- slightly longer overall and much heavier
- 7 aperture blades (older version has 6 blades)
- scalloped aperture ring (older version has finely knurled grip)

There are slight differences in proportions but they are only obvious when you stand them side by side. That might explain the improved performance you saw.

I had an AI converted New-Nikkor 135/3.5 for a while and was impressed by its performance, reminded me of a longer, slower 105/2.5. I later sold it and got the older Nikkor-Q (new) version (I have a set of AI converted chrome "autos" from 28 - 200mm) but somehow I felt the New-Nikkor was better - better contrast, maybe the improved coatings?

richardHaw:

--- Quote from: Roland Vink on November 14, 2020, 19:10:28 ---The optics of the New-Nikkor 135/3.5 are not quite the same as the tick-mark 13.5cm/3.5 that you reviewed previously. The optics of the older lens were taken directly from the rangefinder lens and were used on f-mount lenses up to 1969. At that point the lens was upgraded, the new lens has a similar 4-element optical design but is clearly different:

OLD:

NEW:

The new Nikkor-Q 135/3.5 looks outwardly similar to the older version but can be distinguished by the following:
- slightly longer overall and much heavier
- 7 aperture blades (older version has 6 blades)
- scalloped aperture ring (older version has finely knurled grip)

There are slight differences in proportions but they are only obvious when you stand them side by side. That might explain the improved performance you saw.

I had an AI converted New-Nikkor 135/3.5 for a while and was impressed by its performance, reminded me of a longer, slower 105/2.5. I later sold it and got the older Nikkor-Q (new) version (I have a set of AI converted chrome "autos" from 28 - 200mm) but somehow I felt the New-Nikkor was better - better contrast, maybe the improved coatings?

--- End quote ---

oh, crap...you're right! :o :o :o

i looked at the optical design and the geometry is totally different! ::)

I looked at my photos and it seemed that the changed did happen around 1979 when the 7-sided one came out

the later one has a bigger 3rd element!

richardHaw:
ok, i edited it and the other articles. ::)

didnt see this coming, the newer design has a flat rear for the 3rd element. maybe i should start documenting these with mongodb :o :o :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version