Author Topic: Pre-Ai lenses on the FTZ adaptor  (Read 1189 times)

John Harkus

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Pre-Ai lenses on the FTZ adaptor
« on: November 13, 2020, 19:28:35 »
So, the official instructions for the FTZ adaptor say that non-Ai (their words) lenses cannot be used.

I can't see any reason as to why this would be the case, as the FTZ lacks any physical aperture communication - can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

John

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Pre-Ai lenses on the FTZ adaptor
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 20:00:42 »
I really don´t know why. I´m using the pre-ai (non Ai) 55mm 3.5 macro in the ftz with no problem at all

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 20:53:23 »
The rear flange on the lens aperture ring might stick or bind to the FTZ. Nothing a Dremel cannot cure ....

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 22:10:40 »
My (non dremeled) Nikkor-H auto 50 mm f/2 does not fit although it was brute-force Ai-D
Wolfgang Rehm

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 10:56:45 »
most lenses would fit except for the really early ones with the extended aperture ring :o :o :o

John Harkus

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 16:49:03 »
Thanks all, just tried a pre-Ai 50mm, fitted easily and worked fine, as usual Nikon appear to be very conservative in their warnings

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 09:07:48 »
Thanks all, just tried a pre-Ai 50mm, fitted easily and worked fine, as usual Nikon appear to be very conservative in their warnings

Better safe than sorry! I once clicked a vintage pre-AI 2.8cm onto my D300, and it was then really hard to click it off. Now that lens has a red label NON-DIGITAL as a reminder not to do it again!

After that bad trip, if I want to test a vintage lens, I rotate veeery slowly and if there's any doubt or increasing resistance, I don't go any further...

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

John Harkus

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 19:02:14 »
Better safe than sorry! I once clicked a vintage pre-AI 2.8cm onto my D300, and it was then really hard to click it off. Now that lens has a red label NON-DIGITAL as a reminder not to do it again!

After that bad trip, if I want to test a vintage lens, I rotate veeery slowly and if there's any doubt or increasing resistance, I don't go any further...

Ciao from Massimo

That's sensible advice Massimo, cheers

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 19:17:45 »
Alternatively, a clear indication the use of a Dremel is called for !!!

The advice not to continue mounting a lens if unexpected resistance is encountered is very sound, by the way.