Author Topic: Turn your nikon into a pro webcam utility cam - Full Version 1.0.1  (Read 2794 times)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Nikon has launched full version software that turns your camera into a webcam utility.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/548/Webcam_Utility.html

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Turn your nikon into a pro webcam utility cam - Full Version 1.0.1
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 19:01:41 »
I used the beta version of this, and and ATEM video switcher. However, what worked most consistently was just a $20 HDMI converter. The other systems worked, but often web conferencing software would get confused and think the camera was in use in another app.

I'll try this out and see how it works. People love the quality of the image when I video conference with the Z6

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 22:23:02 »
Just hooked my Z6 up to a Win10 PC via a USB cable and had no issues with the WebCam utility. Well, not with that particular machine at least. The one box I had in mind for using the Z6 failed miserably however. Same hardware, same OS.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 22:52:54 »
I already hooked my z50 with beta version and worked well in Teams, windows version
Today I also checked with D750 after updated to the new webcam utility and worked with no issues

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 10:11:07 »
Thx for the heads up Fons!
I have been running my Z7 as web cam for some time on the Beta version, only minor issues except Gotomeeting which refused to use work entirely  :o Teams and Zoom works just fine.
Minor issue that I don't understand is that the Z7 is not charging with the USB-C cable even when the camera is shut off, only charges with the Nikon AC Adapter EH-7P,,, Too little Amps maybe out of the HP ZBook?
Erik Lund

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 17:57:17 »
I have been running my Z7 as web cam for some time on the Beta version, only minor issues except Gotomeeting which refused to use work entirely  :o Teams and Zoom works just fine.
Minor issue that I don't understand is that the Z7 is not charging with the USB-C cable even when the camera is shut off, only charges with the Nikon AC Adapter EH-7P,,, Too little Amps maybe out of the HP ZBook?

Do you have the right battery in there? EN EL 15B or later is required for USB charging. If you are using an earlier battery it won't charge.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 19:40:36 »

Or, are both your USB hardware and your USB-C cable compatible with the power delivery?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 23:06:59 »
Do you have the right battery in there? EN EL 15B or later is required for USB charging. If you are using an earlier battery it won't charge.
The HP zbook aparently is not able to do it,,, My trusty old Thinkpad can charge it via the USB cable, no problem.
I'm using both EN-EL15B and EN -EL15C
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 15:03:16 »
OK, after a little investigating with a bright flashlight I can now see that the powered USB ports have a small lightning symbol next to the  :o apparently that's how to know.
Pretty obvious, I know,,,  8)

And now the HP Zbook is able to power my Z7 when it's not recording, so I don't have to remember to charge it when I'm on my work PC

On a side note, I recall many moons ago JA teaching us about how not all USB cables are equal regarding power - So I had a check and yes: My USB extension cable doesn't provide power to go through,,,
Erik Lund

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
I had this working on a Mac Book Pro laptop and a Z6, not flawlessly... it would crash periodically, i think due to USB bandwidth going through a USB hub. So I set it aside for a while. Today I went back to it and the Utility is running but the camera is not connecting.

Is anyone currently using this with a Z6 and up to date Mac OS (meaning Big Sur 11.2.3). Results are same on Teams, Zoom, and CamLink -- all they see is the reversed image of the Nikon logo from the Utility.

I have tried all kinds of USB cords. I have tried various settings (A, S, etc), switched between still and video. In the Mac System Report it identifies the Z6 as being connected to USB. I have tried briefly with another Nikon DSLR, same result (and also detected in USB).

If the USB-c is connected first and then I turn on the Z6, nothing happens with the camera. No lights come on, the screen does not turn on, etc. Only when I pull out the USB-C does the camera come to life. This does not seem to be how it worked a couple of months ago?

Can anyone share using this utility and any thoughts? [As a side note, this triggered me to order a USB-HDMI capture device in the mean time]

Thanks if anyone is using the Nikon Webcam Utility and can provide any feedback,

Thanks!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 09:18:12 »
Try removing the battery from the Z6 and then reinsert it.
Happened to my Z7 that I had to do that a couple of times,,,
The old re-boot trick  :o
Erik Lund

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 10:20:42 »
I had this working on a Mac Book Pro laptop and a Z6, not flawlessly... it would crash periodically, i think due to USB bandwidth going through a USB hub. So I set it aside for a while. Today I went back to it and the Utility is running but the camera is not connecting.

Is anyone currently using this with a Z6 and up to date Mac OS (meaning Big Sur 11.2.3). Results are same on Teams, Zoom, and CamLink -- all they see is the reversed image of the Nikon logo from the Utility.

I have tried all kinds of USB cords. I have tried various settings (A, S, etc), switched between still and video. In the Mac System Report it identifies the Z6 as being connected to USB. I have tried briefly with another Nikon DSLR, same result (and also detected in USB).

If the USB-c is connected first and then I turn on the Z6, nothing happens with the camera. No lights come on, the screen does not turn on, etc. Only when I pull out the USB-C does the camera come to life. This does not seem to be how it worked a couple of months ago?

Can anyone share using this utility and any thoughts? [As a side note, this triggered me to order a USB-HDMI capture device in the mean time]

Thanks if anyone is using the Nikon Webcam Utility and can provide any feedback,

Thanks!

I have used it once to try and it worked as advertised with "zoom meeting". Smooth

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 22:51:11 »
Rob,

I bought an HDMI to USB video converter as it worked more consistently for me. 
Maybe I’ll try the nikon sw after next update.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 10:16:08 »
What brand HDMI to USB?
Erik Lund

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 13:04:06 »
I just use it this morning for a tv interview (50mm 1.8 @f2.5), Usb cable to the computer and nikon webcam utility. External microphone. Worked like a charm