Author Topic: Nikon ES-2 kit  (Read 1587 times)

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon ES-2 kit
« on: October 20, 2020, 05:00:12 »
It seems this adapter is out of stock everywhere, only a few overprized offers on e-bay.
Given that it was introduced with/for the D850 I can't believe it is that unpopular.
Would appreciate any pointers to used but complete kits. Thanks!
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon ES-2 kit
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 10:04:15 »
It seems this adapter is out of stock everywhere, only a few overprized offers on e-bay.
Given that it was introduced with/for the D850 I can't believe it is that unpopular.
Would appreciate any pointers to used but complete kits. Thanks!

Nikon accessories tend to be in and out of stuff quite frequently. I don't think one can deduce popularity or lack thereof from that. Which country are you in? In Finland rajalacamera.fi have it in stock.

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 18:03:17 »
Thanks Ilkka, I am on the west coast in California

Amun

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 12:53:53 »
I suspect the reverse - i.e. that they didn't make many of them and more people bought them than anticipated. Some shops have them in stock in the UK, but they're charging top dollar for them.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 14:42:43 »
Grays of Westminster in London just sent an e-mail that the ES-2 is in stock.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 15:12:59 »
The Norwegian dealers report 'ES-2 currently out of stock -- new supplies are expected'.

I think this is quite typical for small accessoires no matter what brand we are speaking of. Stocks are almost of the JIT category, except due to longer supply lines these days items are more frequently unavailable for a period of time.

I recently had back orders on a LAOWA 'macro' lens and the FTZ adapter and both were out of stock for 3 months or more.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 15:29:41 »
i got mine a year ago or more i think...it's expensive :o :o :o

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 18:01:00 »

I did pre order an buy it, when it came out. It is a good piece of hardware IMO, the price of 180€ for a few pieces of plastic is exaggerated, as most of Nikon's plastic accessories
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 05:26:03 »
I quickly realized that my AF-S 105mm won't work. Resorted to my 55mm Micro from the early sixties on a PN-1. First results on a D800 at f/8 look pretty good.
Question to the experts: is it worth to invest into the latest AF-S 60mm to get better quality? Or would the difference be minor?
Thxs!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 10:48:44 »
As I commented in another thread; The two 60mm Micro-Nikkor lenses are very different optically; The old one AF and AF-D works by extension and a CRC group the new AF-S is an IF lens, no extension.

Same goes for comparison to the 50mm Micro Nikkor f/2.8 extension and CRC- We have a long thread on these in Lenses
My 60mm AFS is definetly not as good/preditactable as the old 50mm ones on DSLR  :o focus shift,,, maybe since the 60mm seems to behave quite good on the Z7
The AFS 60mm is in all regards except minimum focus distance surpassed by the Z 50mm f/1.8 S it even has no focus breathing!
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 11:48:42 »
As I commented in another thread; The two 60mm Micro-Nikkor lenses are very different optically; The old one AF and AF-D works by extension and a CRC group the new AF-S is an IF lens, no extension.

Same goes for comparison to the 50mm Micro Nikkor f/2.8 extension and CRC- We have a long thread on these in Lenses
My 60mm AFS is definetly not as good/preditactable as the old 50mm ones on DSLR  :o focus shift,,, maybe since the 60mm seems to behave quite good on the Z7
The AFS 60mm is in all regards except minimum focus distance surpassed by the Z 50mm f/1.8 S it even has no focus breathing!

yes, focus breathing is a problem :o :o :o

it makes AF useless for ES-2 ::)
so i use my 55mm, as it should i suppose but i had to buy a 52mm ring