Author Topic: launch - Nikon Z7 II and Z6 II  (Read 10536 times)

chambeshi

launch - Nikon Z7 II and Z6 II
« on: September 29, 2020, 15:35:54 »
So far only a teaser page on the Nikon site for 14 X 2020 to announce the next Chapter in the Z System "Z goes to a new frontier."

https://www.nikon-image.com/sp/the_next_chapter/

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1279844.html

https://dclife.jp/camera_news/article/nikon/2020/0929_01.html

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: launch - Nikon Z7 II and Z6 II
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 17:00:48 »
We'll see what they have to offer this time.

Who knows -- maybe they come to NG? and do something to our "frontier" ???

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 18:35:27 »
I am not expecting much. I don't need the two slots and if it is the same sensor, I already have one in the Z7. So, I wonder what would get me to buy one since I am all manual, etc. Lower ISO? No. Better Live Screen? Possible, but I doubt it.

What is making your day with this new offering?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 18:43:21 »
I am not expecting much. I don't need the two slots and if it is the same sensor, I already have one in the Z7. So, I wonder what would get me to buy one since I am all manual, etc. Loser ISO? No. Better Live Screen? Possible, but I doubt it.

What is making your day with this new offering?

Nothing, but it makes sense to try to keep up with the competition.  This update may move more Nikon DSLR users who haven't yet purchased a Z camera to make the plunge or to not defect to Sony or Canon.  I'm hoping for a more substantial update next time around.

Bob.S

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 20:21:31 »
I'm hoping for at least one really killer feature that will make all the camera fanciers drool!

..........Then when Z6 prices have sagged I can pick up a nice clean one for a good price  8)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 21:57:07 »
I am not expecting much...
Some competitors have a "high-res" mode where 4 shots are combined with the sensor shifted 1 pixel each time, effectively giving full colour information at every pixel - no bayer demosaicing so resolution is improved somewhat, and also reducing noise. Also 8 or 16 shot modes where the sensor is shifted 1/2 pixel amounts to improve resolution even further. This could be perfect for the static, high resolution work you do. I would be a little disappointed if the new Nikon cameras do not have this feature.

For the rest, I don't expect major breakthroughs but a combination of small improvements as Nikon learns from the strengths and weaknesses of their first cameras that in combination give a better and more refined product, in the same way the D850 improved on the D810, which in turn was better than the D800.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 23:01:48 »
Some competitors have a "high-res" mode where 4 shots are combined with the sensor shifted 1 pixel each time, effectively giving full colour information at every pixel - no bayer demosaicing so resolution is improved somewhat, and also reducing noise. Also 8 or 16 shot modes where the sensor is shifted 1/2 pixel amounts to improve resolution even further. This could be perfect for the static, high resolution work you do. I would be a little disappointed if the new Nikon cameras do not have this feature.

For the rest, I don't expect major breakthroughs but a combination of small improvements as Nikon learns from the strengths and weaknesses of their first cameras that in combination give a better and more refined product, in the same way the D850 improved on the D810, which in turn was better than the D800.

To me the D850 was a huge improvement, for my work, over the D810.

If the new Z7 replacement has that option AND if it easy to use, I could be interested.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 09:57:51 »
According to the rumors site it's only marginal (too me) improvements, for a second I thought I had bought into the Z7 just before a major upgrade  :o

NikonRumors quote:
  • Incremental update to the current Z6/Z7 models
  • Same sensor as in the Z6/Z7
  • Dual EXPEED processor
  • Will use the new Nikon EN-EL15c battery
  • USB power
  • Dual memory card slots: CFexpress and SD (I personally still have hope for dual CFexpress)
  • 4k 60p video
  • More new video features
  • EVF with 5.76 million dots (the current Z6/Z7 have EVF with 3.69 million dots)
  • Vertical grip with buttons/controls (available as an optional accessory)
  • The expected announcement is still scheduled for this year (around October?)
  • Higher prices than the current Z6 ($1,797) and Z7 ($2,497) models

For sure these new features will really make the Z step up as a full featured mirrorless camera that comes even closer to theri DSLR counterparts.
Still the Z is missing a D6 equivalent as well as D850 rear lit buttons that are nice evening low light operation features, sure one can use the viewfinder but that is a workaround imho.
One thing I would have liked was the now introduced Vertical grip with buttons/controls for Z
Erik Lund

Bob.S

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 11:08:24 »
If these second versions DO have an SD card slot then that's a £200 'discount' on the price right there....Plus, it takes one away from the greedy clutches of Sony marketing, which has never forgotten the 'memory stick' pleasure....

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 13:01:41 »
Note that there are no officially released specifications about the Z6 II and Z7 II. All that exist are rumor site posts and they are certainly not the same as "announced" features. It could be stuff that someone made up in their basement for all we know.

I think it's a reasonable guess that limited processing power has been the reason why the Z6/7 don't have as fast autofocus as some other cameras and also has limited the burst performance (ability to display EVF updates at higher fps rates, ability to clear the data in the buffer to card, ability to track moving subjects during a burst, etc.) so if Nikon indeed put in two processors, I would consider it by itself a major update.

The dual card slots and vertical grip with controls, if present, address the other criticized aspects of the original Z6 and Z7. So, basically, chances are that all the major limitations of the first-generation products are resolved in the II models. That would be pretty good, considering that they have to keep coming up with stuff to improve to continue selling cameras after the second-generation models. What else is there to do? The competition doesn't have lit buttons. There is only so much space in a tiny camera housing.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 01:08:49 »
The dual card slots and vertical grip with controls, if present, address the other criticized aspects of the original Z6 and Z7. So, basically, chances are that all the major limitations of the first-generation products are resolved in the II models. That would be pretty good, considering that they have to keep coming up with stuff to improve to continue selling cameras after the second-generation models. What else is there to do? The competition doesn't have lit buttons. There is only so much space in a tiny camera housing.

Potential improvements that may not be happening this time around but which could move me to purchase a body:

-Better controls, more like a D850 or even just a D780.
-Improved automated focus stacking with better control of parameters.
-High-resolution mode, as Roland mentions.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 11:23:34 »
I’m pretty happy with my Z6 right now. Only drawback for me is the tracking AF (BIF).
The second Expeed processor could be the solution to that. EVF refresh rate and start-up time could be improved with this as well.
I’m curious if this would be enough to be competative and if I can replace my D500 with a ZII.  :)
Nikon probably will add some “nice to have” features as well.
I think this will be more than just an incremental update, they have to.
Chris Dees

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 23:04:18 »
It is good that Nikon shows some developement in comparison  to its competitors.
Probably the Z6II and Z7II wont make it to be on par with Sony or the new Canons in terms of speed. Would be good to have some improvements in ergonomy and Menus that are done somewhat  wrong in the Z6/Z7. I dont expecting them to be competitive with SLR for BIF.
I have got a Z6 and am not planning to buy a new Z until a Z8 or Z9 is released.
Wolfgang Rehm

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2020, 15:46:11 »
Good to see that Nikon keeps their mirrorless offerings fresh, still happy with my Z6 and D500 though.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 06:41:17 »
Well, the formal announcement has happened.  Nothing earthshaking, but some nice upgrades like a second card slot, faster frame rates, larger buffer, and a full-featured battery grip.  No pixel shift or improved focus stacking this time around. Dpreview.com suggests (with regard to the Z6 II) that Nikon has gotten what it can out of the current sensor and may be planning a much larger upgrade next time around with presumably a newer sensor:

Personally I wonder whether Nikon concluded there was only so far it could push the current sensor and decided to focus R&D resources on what might be possible with a next-gen chip in a future model (hence the use of two existing processors, rather than the development of a new one for this camera). That's speculation, of course, but other than the video improvements, it's hard to see what more Nikon could do with the current sensor.

I see the new models as modest updates to maintain the Z system's competitive position until substantially improved products can be released at a later date.  In the meantime, my trusty Z6mark I will do just fine for my purposes.

The Z system lens map released last month promises ten new lenses between now and the end of next year, six of them S-line and one being DX. These include the already announced 50/1.2 and 14-24/2.8 lenses.