Author Topic: Nikon 2.8/6mm for EUR300  (Read 3556 times)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon 2.8/6mm for EUR300
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 19:15:54 »
"It's PRIVATE PROPERTY," he repeated. So I left and felt shitty the rest of the day. What is wrong with people? I think they are just miserable and want to make sure everyone else is too.
I have had similar run-ins with hothead types here in the USA, pre-C-19 pandemic mostly. I agree with your assessment that these people are most likely miserable and probably feel that their life is shitty.
In the USA, people have a legally defined "Right To Privacy".  But...inanimate or non-human objects have no such rights. 
Lately, I reply to any such complaint or question with either "Learn the law." or simply "You're wrong." 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 19:49:33 »
I have had similar run-ins with hothead types here in the USA, pre-C-19 pandemic mostly. I agree with your assessment that these people are most likely miserable and probably feel that their life is shitty.
In the USA, people have a legally defined "Right To Privacy".  But...inanimate or non-human objects have no such rights. 
Lately, I reply to any such complaint or question with either "Learn the law." or simply "You're wrong."

I gave been given to understand that the famous "Lone Cypress" tree, on the famous 17 Mile Drive in Carmel, is indeed claimed to  be private property, and unauthorized photography is not allowed. Comments?
Carl

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2020, 00:52:49 »
I gave been given to understand that the famous "Lone Cypress" tree, on the famous 17 Mile Drive in Carmel, is indeed claimed to  be private property, and unauthorized photography is not allowed. Comments?

They have a sign to that affect regarding commercial photography of the tree.  This law office disagrees that it's enforceable.

Pebble Beach Co. long ago adopted the tree as a symbol, and in 1990 it registered an image of the Lone Cypress as a trademark for various services. In the years thereafter, the corporation's aggressive IP enforcement practices attracted considerable attention, including articles in the New York Times and Monterey County Weekly, and earned it a fair degree of local infamy.

The piece then goes on to note:

A trademark by definition can only be infringed by another trademark and only to the extent that the two marks are likely to cause consumer confusion.

This of course is U.S. law.  While treaties provide some similarity of intellectual property laws between many countries, there will be some differences.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 01:20:31 »
They have a sign to that affect regarding commercial photography of the tree.  This law office disagrees that it's enforceable.

The piece then goes on to note:

This of course is U.S. law.  While treaties provide some similarity of intellectual property laws between many countries, there will be some differences.

I thought there was a sign there there’s been so many years since I’ve been there.

Carl

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2020, 19:11:09 »
There is and it's mentioned at the link.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 20:08:37 »
There is and it's mentioned at the link.

Indeed, and I have a brass and copper artist's rendition of a Monterey cypress tree hanging on one of my walls. I bought it at an art festival because it reminded me of the Monterey area (fresh seafood and great restaurants, etc), but there's no claim that it's a replica of "the" Lone Monterey Cypress, or just a depiction of a run of the mill Monterey cypress.

On the other side of things, how many people have been drawn to pay the fee to take the beautiful 17 mile drive and see that famous tree in it's natural habitat?  ;)
Carl

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2020, 21:56:27 »

Indeed, and I have a brass and copper artist's rendition of a Monterey cypress tree hanging on one of my walls. I bought it at an art festival because it reminded me of the Monterey area (fresh seafood and great restaurants, etc), but there's no claim that it's a replica of "the" Lone Monterey Cypress, or just a depiction of a run of the mill Monterey cypress.

On the other side of things, how many people have been drawn to pay the fee to take the beautiful 17 mile drive and see that famous tree in it's natural habitat?  ;)

A quick snap from my iPhone reveals my Monterey cypress.  ;D

Carl

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 11:49:14 »
I sincerely hope the tendency to be greedy is less contagious than C-19 itself. You have my fullest sympathy, Klaus. His behaviour was obnoxious.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2020, 21:33:11 »
I sincerely hope the tendency to be greedy is less contagious than C-19 itself. You have my fullest sympathy, Klaus. His behaviour was obnoxious.

Thanks Birna, appreciated! I fully understand why some forums also only allow own content of members (i.e. their own images) to be posted, nothing else!

Difficult for moderators - I'm one in a 10,000+ members forum and always mention this there - but hardly anyone seems to care...hence my posting here!
formerly known as kds315