Author Topic: Considerations on a D3  (Read 4642 times)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
Re: Considerations on a D3
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 07:27:48 »
It was actually the D3 which went on that Safari.

After I bought the D3 (which was my entry to digital photography, I was cruising the Internet to see who else might have one and what they were using it for when I chanced upon NikonGear and found that they were planning a Safari but needed one more person to make it happen.

The adventure sounded so exciting and I signed-up immediately. A few months later both the D3 and I were in Africa together with some of the founder members of NG.

Some of those Safarians followed the African adventure up with a truly great trip to Norway the following Spring.

My D3 and finding NG turned out to be the catalysts for all of the adventures which have followed over the past ten years.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 08:33:42 »

After I bought the D3 (which was my entry to digital photography, I was cruising the Internet to see who else might have one and what they were using it for when I chanced upon NikonGear and found that they were planning a Safari but needed one more person to make it happen.

The adventure sounded so exciting and I signed-up immediately. A few months later both the D3 and I were in Africa together with some of the founder members of NG.

Some of those Safarians followed the African adventure up with a truly great trip to Norway the following Spring.

My D3 and finding NG turned out to be the catalysts for all of the adventures which have followed over the past ten years.

Very similar story here ;) Bought a D3 and went on the NikonGear safari 2009  ;D

Side remark; Took the D2Xs along for long reach, was a perfect pair of cameras
Erik Lund

Marco Lanciani

• NG Member
  • Roma, Italy
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 10:01:19 »
Erik, Thank you for you consideration on the D3... And, given that you mentioned the D2x D2xs, would you suggest one? What is the "s" advantage? Looking around on eBay, it's very low in price and, it seems also, in shutter counts, something harder to find on the D3 D3s but not impossible.
Marco Lanciani

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 11:38:58 »
The D2X and D2Xs are not suitable for High ISO shooting so difficult to shoot events for instance, not impossible just challenging ;)No real difference between the two  D2X and D2Xs except buffer size.
The D3 is much better in High ISO ;)
Erik Lund

Marco Lanciani

• NG Member
  • Roma, Italy
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 12:19:53 »
I've found this on a listing on eBay... from a D3s...
Better to avoid this camera?

Marco Lanciani

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 12:39:49 »
Strange Af boxes  :o
Erik Lund

Marco Lanciani

• NG Member
  • Roma, Italy
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2020, 12:47:03 »
Never seen before. That's why I'm asking  ???
Marco Lanciani

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 13:58:07 »
I saw this recently on ebay. Seller with 100% positive and payment through paypal.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/264640211869 It looks like a good deal to me.
  I'll personally go for the d3s (around 700€) for the deeper biffer and better high iso, but that's just my personal use for the camera.

Marco Lanciani

• NG Member
  • Roma, Italy
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2020, 15:12:35 »
Thank you golunvolo. I've already seen that listing... It looks like that D3 was in war, but very low shutter count.
The seller has also a D3s, https://www.ebay.de/itm/253691103919 ...here 357k is already beyond the certified shutter count limit...  :-\
Marco Lanciani

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2020, 18:19:09 »

Unfortunately, it turns out that I didn't exactly recall correctly, so please accept my apologies.
Carl

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2020, 19:40:00 »
Carl:

I don't think that you were wrong at all because you probably remembered my somewhat effusive and excited comments when I bought the first of my D3S cameras and took that on a later Safari?

Then it was the D5 which topped every camera which I had previously owned — until I heard about the D6.

I am pretty sure that I want one of those too; but I also need Covid-19 to be conquered so that we can all travel freely again.

My planned Brazilian trip in May had to be postponed (although I still intend to go when I can!) and it would be great to be able to take a D6 along for the ride.

Marco Lanciani

• NG Member
  • Roma, Italy
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2020, 19:52:41 »
https://www.ebay.it/itm/233646894359

This is the D3s with the strange AF box, and I have no idea if this might compromise anything.
The seller says, the "defect" is purely aesthetic... the camera has almost 140k shots.

Should I bid?
Marco Lanciani

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2020, 20:23:14 »
Carl:

I don't think that you were wrong at all because you probably remembered my somewhat effusive and excited comments when I bought the first of my D3S cameras and took that on a later Safari?

Then it was the D5 which topped every camera which I had previously owned — until I heard about the D6.

I am pretty sure that I want one of those too; but I also need Covid-19 to be conquered so that we can all travel freely again.

My planned Brazilian trip in May had to be postponed (although I still intend to go when I can!) and it would be great to be able to take a D6 along for the ride.

Most likely that I have mixed up the Safaris and included gear. These days, I'm lucky yo recall at all!  :-[

I understand about the COVID-19 interruptions, I've been sequestered for over 3 months now. But, as a member of the extremely high risk group, I have little choice in the matter. Crossing my fingers for some sort of vaccine to come to my rescue.

Good luck on your trip to Brazil plans, to be accompanied by the D6 of course!  ;)

Carl

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2020, 21:18:00 »
https://www.ebay.it/itm/233646894359

This is the D3s with the strange AF box, and I have no idea if this might compromise anything.
The seller says, the "defect" is purely aesthetic... the camera has almost 140k shots.

Should I bid?
If the D3 is returnable with no hassle, it might be worth it.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2020, 23:31:04 »
If the D3 is returnable with no hassle, it might be worth it.

It takes me to an italian vendor, not returnable and only delivers inside Italy?