Author Topic: Next corpse Nikon?  (Read 6332 times)

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
Re: Next corpse Nikon?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 00:09:39 »
Nikon's biggest competition is their own ghost.

Sure almost every new lens or camera model is an improvement, the however occurs that people seem to buy on some sort of online info, and in layman's terms that upgrade does not always, duly justify the cost. (You've been had when you try to recoup your losses on a purchase you should not have made,...... an actual mistake.)

Yes, I upgraded, numerous times, Cams and Glass. Of out of several grand that I spent over the years, 30-40%+ were wasted purchases. Other's regretful purchases. I still read the BS, but don't believe any of it, anymore. It's all over Photo forums/Reviews, Guitar forums, Car Forums. "I lie, so you will buy."

There is a Nikon lens rating site (Photography In M,) that is now rewriting old lens reviews, giving anything but truthful advise.

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 11:02:10 »

There is a Nikon lens rating site (Photography In M,) that is now rewriting old lens reviews, giving anything but truthful advise.

Can you share the exact site?
Keep shooting,
Bern

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 01:52:54 »
I may be mistaken, which website.

I looked up a couple reviews of the older Af-D 18-35 and I read what looked to be a major edit claiming the lens is now good for nothing and the original review was an online mistake.

Viv

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2020, 10:19:46 »
Nikon's reported forthcoming demise is greatly exaggerated.

What is probably true is that he D6 is Nikon's last DSLR camera.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 10:44:29 »
Can you share the exact site?

Could very well be Photography in Malaysia, the index page is:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/photography.htm

and the index page for AF lenses is:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/index.htm

The site has been in a dormant state for quite a few years, I see some pages being updated recently...

Actually, there is no page on mir.com.my site for the 18-35mm lens.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 10:56:45 »
Are we getting a little off topic?
Hugh Gunn

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 10:57:03 »
 The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated  :o :o :o

Both for Nikon Imaging and DSLR IMHO
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 11:02:50 »
Could very well be Photography in Malaysia, the index page is:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/photography.htm

I would say that I often go to the Mir site for Nikon lens and camera information, very well written and documented factual information!I would not describe it as a lens review site though!
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2020, 11:03:46 »
In this thread I believe it will be very difficult to not get off topic  :o ;D
Erik Lund

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 11:04:54 »

the OT ends here, but someone had made a polite question, it seemed polite to answer...

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 16:06:23 »
Certainly Nikon will be around in 2021 but honestly there are too many things happening in the world that cause me worries that Nikon's survival does not get a look in.  Contrary to popular internet 'wisdom'  DSLRs are not dead yet and Nikon is still coming up with some winners.    A friend just shot//reviewed the D6 for Smart Photography ( Indian Magazine) and is shooting the 120-300 2.8 this month.  He is my age so a bit too pricey and heavy but loved the D6.

What happens in the camera world in the future is another question.   Sad to see Olympus go but I will keep shooting my Pen F until it dies (or not  ;)  ) .   Might even sell a Sony and pick up a OMD-EM1 mkii for Monsoon shooting.  None of my Olympus gear has ever needed any repair work and I always buy spares of eyepieces, battery doors and such.
Keep safe all
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 22:41:03 »

What is probably true is that he D6 is Nikon's last DSLR camera.

I am pretty sure that this is not true. Well no one knows how economic crisis and thus how photo industry will develop. I don't expect Nikon to crash  nor to crash soon but if so,  Nikon D6 would not only be the last DSLR but Nikons last camera at all- and we wont see any further Z-models either.

Excluding these worst case considerations it is likely that the D6 will be the last of its kind  (no D7 any more) but we will see further SLR releases, especially the upcomung D850 successor with higher resolution. Olympus had a long death not a sudden one, and with Nikon there will be attempts to keep it going. Nikon F-System is still Nikons main assets and Nikon Z System is not established well enough (will take some years) to replace it at once and have Nikon F skipped now.
Wolfgang Rehm

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2020, 00:15:37 »
Fair point - all is forgiven.  ;D ;D ;D

the OT ends here, but someone had made a polite question, it seemed polite to answer...

Ciao from Massimo
Hugh Gunn

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2020, 00:32:04 »
I'm not complaining. Everything has been a little "Weird."
When I was shooting my old Kodak, the 18-35D lens had the typical distortion, but was fairly sharp. I sold it and bought something else.

I recently bought the same lens for a good price. On my Df, which is still sort of new, I didn't notice near the distortion. (We are talking 14 Vs. 16mp.) This prompted me to look up the internet babble & discovered what I posted above. It may have been from the app "All Photo Lenses," but it is unavailable in the US at the moment.

There is also AI, (not the prong.) that is springing up in leaps and bounds. (I'm sorry if you can't tell when your computer/devise accommodates one's own self.) Win 10 and Apple' iOs are really annoying in that regard. (And don't forget the 10 pages of retailers you have to page through in a silly, online search.

Nikon has a very strong base. The however is, there are also many products bearing the name that really should not. Have you ever encountered an angry coolpix user?

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2020, 05:12:48 »

My apologies for starting the swerve off topic.
Keep shooting,
Bern