Author Topic: Nikon Wireless transmitter utility pairing problem  (Read 6927 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon Wireless transmitter utility pairing problem
« on: May 09, 2020, 14:20:01 »
I tried to connect my Z50 to my PC via Wireless transmitter utility without success.
I can get so far that pairing starts but when I start the utility on PC then Z50 does not show up as it should.
I guess it could be something with Firewall. I use Kaspersky Internet Security and in Firewall settings Nikon Corp. is among the trusted vendors.
I have not found a place where I can open for at specific port and if I could I would not know which port to open.
Has anybody some experience with this?

I could of course try to turn Firewall off to see if this helps. It may be next step. For now I take the card out of Z50 and put it in PC reader to transfer files. 

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: Nikon Wireless transmitter utility pairing problem
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 17:50:01 »
Have you tried SnapBridge ? Last versions quite work decently.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 18:27:20 »
Z50 and Snapbridge combine to  one happy couple. I have set up Snapbridge to only transmit GPS data, but tested it can do image files as well.

However, in many situations transferring the files from the card though a card reader would be the better option.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 18:59:57 »
I will read about Snapbridge. Have never used it.
I have always just pulled out the card from the camera to transfer files to PC and maybe this is the better solution anyway…….it seems.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 19:18:26 »
Z50 and Snapbridge combine to  one happy couple. I have set up Snapbridge to only transmit GPS data, but tested it can do image files as well.

However, in many situations transferring the files from the card though a card reader would be the better option.

Definitely a better option.

But when I am in the middle of the field and when I need to immediately broadcast some selected pictures to social media, it’s a cheap and efficient alternative compared to the burdensome setup of an SMTP server and the like. Noteworthy to mention: you can now forward NEF files, you are not limited anymore to JPEG.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 22:55:01 »
As I don't participate on "social media" there is no need for me to send images in the middle of nowhere. However, I agree this approach is infinitely easier than hauling a laptop with you in a remote location.

Z50 being different than its larger Z siblings does not support GPS directly; one has to let the NMEA positional data enter through Snapbridge on a smartphone. This solution has lower geographic accuracy than having a GPS receiver directly plugged into the camera, but is much better than no GPS at all, and saves the extra effort of synchronising the camera with an additional GPX log later.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 10:14:25 »
Birna, with regard to SnapBridge GPS, did you had a look at the parameters in SnapBridge ? Because the default precision setup is quite loose - I guess to save battery power -  There are 3 settings: High, Medium and Low precision. It has all to do with the GPS data refresh frequency; the inherent precision of the device - in my case, an iPhone X - doesn’t seem to vary.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 11:06:49 »
It's set to 'High Precision'. Which, obviously, is a relative concept.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 11:29:51 »
My need for precision is about in the 5 meter range. Which might be insufficient in a lot of applications.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 15:08:07 »
Meper, were you able to resolve the issue? I am having the same issue trying to pair Z5 with the wireless utility.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 15:13:37 »
I have not tried again since "that" time. At that time I never succeeded.
I went back to the old solution by taking the card out of the camera an insert it into the computer card reader to transfer images.....

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 15:52:25 »
That's sad that things do not work the way they are supposed to... I am doing the same thing except for my D300 which I need to connect using a cable. I was hopping I could take the advantage of 21th century technologies at the end...

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 16:18:13 »
Darn it... I can't believe I fixed it. I did a few things and I do not know which of the actions fixed the issue. When the IP has been assigned, I logged in to my router and set the device IP to static, then I disconnect my PC from the wifi and connect it again, then I open the wireless utility. That worked!

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 16:33:46 »
OK, it nearly worked here by connecting direct to the PC. I started Wireless transmitter and camera showed up. Then I pressed next and then pairing failed and I was not able to recover. The next times I started Wireless transmitter it does not "see" the camera. Trying to connect via the router......everyting is ok......until I start Wireless transmitter.......camera does not show up so I can select it....
That utility is a "pain".....

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 16:36:28 »
Download the latest, I believe it is 1.9.4. Try disconnecting and reconnecting your PC wifi before turning on the utility. Try setting the camera IP to static...