Author Topic: NPS, to be or not to be  (Read 4933 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
NPS, to be or not to be
« on: May 04, 2020, 11:04:12 »
I have never been a member of NPS and now I´m curious about what it entitles. A few questions: even if the acronym is self-explanatory, what it is practical for? How do you qualify? General benefits and obligations if any? Personal experience?

I´ll like to hear from experience rather that searching the web.  Thank you in advance

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: NPS, to be or not to be
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 11:18:53 »
As a professional photographer using Nikon gear, you are qualified. Just contact the national Nikon centre and apply.

The main benefits are priority access to new gear and rapid camera service inland or abroad, which has helped me more than once. Often free service as well. I got 30 minutes turn-around for camera cleaning in Prague, Cape Town, and other places. In Cape town, they even fixed a stuck lens mount on the 300 PF for free while I was waiting. At events you can get loaner lenses etc.

In short, just ask.

Canon has a similar facility. I don't know about Sony or Olympus.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 11:48:26 »
Leica do as well.
Here i the Nordic countries there has been many NPS events as well, launch of new products and the like
Erik Lund

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 11:48:47 »
Thanks Birna, it sounds very good indeed. I´ll look into it.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 12:56:33 »
I am an NPS member, here in Switzerland. They are quite picky in their approval process. For the time being, not used their services. But I always keep track of the closest NPS service, when I’m traveling.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 13:31:52 »
Well, they *are* picky over here as well. No wonder when they in principle offer free services to the members.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 14:59:49 »
Paco, here are the benefits that i experienced as a member of NPS:
- i get invited to cleaning my gear and update of firmware from time to time, free of charge;
- i use my pass when we go to Photokina to visit the backstage PRO area of Nikon;
- when my 85/1.4 AF-D was in service i received a brand new 85/1.4 AF-S to use until my lens was repaired.
Hope this helps :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 15:38:41 »
It does help. I´m trying to get information about becoming one in Spain  :)

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 20:14:56 »
The main benefit is when having the Nikon official presence at selected major sport or world events where all services from cleaning to borrowing gear is on offer as support to the NPS photogs.

This is a tremendous help to secure a place at the media pit and meet with other seasoned photogs at the event. There is lot of camaraderie where photogs help each other and even in some cases provide thier pictures to other photog who had a shooting mishap.
So we have two locations, the Media Centre and the Nikon NPS one.
To be honest, Canon do step in and help in any way they can and same for Nikon helping others.

The Nikon gifts and invites are nice but not important.

As for Canon CPS program. This is chargeable passed the first of 4 levels.
Sony Pro Support is also chargeable.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 08:04:47 »
The NPS presence at major sporting events is very limited though:

https://nps.nikonimaging.com/event_support/index.htm

The sole occasion I saw NPS deployed at an event was in 2014 Air14 air show, celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Swiss Airforce, an event spanning over two entire weeks.

In my small world of car endurance racing (WEC, ELMS, ALMS, 24h of Le Mans, 24h of Spa-Francorchamps), the only brand with recurrent presence, was Fuji, providing free loaning of equipment, and free multi-brand cleaning of equipment. Have to say, though, that the head of communications is also a (excellent) photographer and Fuji ambassador.

IMG_1461.jpg
Fuji Lending desk at Fuji (JP); in the background, a flock of sexy 200mm f/2 Fujinon lenses...

IMG_1462.jpg
Fuji cleaning desk at Silverstone (UK) taking care of my D5, 70-200mm f/2.8E FL, and 500mm f/5.6E PF.

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 12:20:24 »
According to the link you provided and not withstanding the Covid cancellations, 18 events were planned for 2020.

Add to that the (cancelled) events planned by individual NPS countries.

How do you consider that 'limited" as you put it!

What more would you want? A daily one???

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 20:27:16 »
According to the link you provided and not withstanding the Covid cancellations, 18 events were planned for 2020.

Add to that the (cancelled) events planned by individual NPS countries.

How do you consider that 'limited" as you put it!

What more would you want? A daily one???

Take a breath. Last year I traveled close to 100 days and 100'000km, in connection with international sailing and motorsport events. The last time I crossed a deployed NPS team was SIX YEARS ago. That's all. I'm not complaining; may be just unlucky. Given the aforementioned, I make just sure that I have the necessary back-up equipment; I clean the sensors myself, but certainly not counting on NPS, in this regard.

It's like public transportation: when the frequency drops below a certain level, it becomes of no use, just like NPS' presence on major sport events. It's a bit NPS' analogy to the Nyquist Frequency  8)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 20:59:27 »
Let's return to the thread topic, please.

An application for NPS membership is entirely up to Paco to decide.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 00:39:23 »
I have been NPS since my D70s arrived, that makes 14 years. Very helpful and one of the reasons I love Nikon. They are picky, but they look more into your photography business and skills than your equipment. Now that I got both business and serious equipment they do got used to me easily. Very nice service.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 03:44:12 »
At least here in Japan, to become NPS member, you need:

1. to be a working photographer, not as a part-timer or as an assistant.  You need to prove that by presenting more than three media (on websites or printed matters) containing your images with the credit published within the last six months.
2. to own at least three Nikon bodies AND at least five Nikon interchangeable lenses.
3. to have at least one NPS member who has been NPS member for more than 1 year to recommend you to Nikon.

Hope this would be of any help.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira