Author Topic: Best cheap Portrait Lens for Nikon D850  (Read 22662 times)

f4-fan

• NG Member
  • Camera Moralia - Digicams for social justice!
    • Fotogemeinschaft.de - moving moments...
Re: Best cheap Portrait Lens for Nikon D850
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2020, 17:24:32 »
Another vote here for the manual Nikkor 105/2.5.  Quite cheap, very compact and good quality.

I would like to try this lens, but cannot find example-Portrait-photos with the D850 ...

Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany
Fotogemeinschaft.de - moving moments...

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 17:36:15 »
The 105/2.5 exists in at least two versions......an old with narrow focus ring and chrome barrel and a newer with wider focus ring (all black).
Both are very good.....but maybe go for the newer version.....and go for an AI or AI-S version.....

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2020, 17:50:47 »
I cannot speak to the D850 specifically but I believe that generally speaking, lenses get better with increasing resolution sensors if you look at the final images of the same size. My experience is with D90, D7000, D700, D600, D750, and Z6 on which I have used the lenses below.

I would strongly second the recommendation for a 105/2.5 lens if your ultimate goal is to get the 105/1.4. I have the Nikkor P.C. with scalloped focus ring. This lens is simply amazing. There is a thread somewhere by Olivier Anthony who took an extensive series of excellent portraits with this lens, I believe first on the D700 and later on the Fuji XT-something, but I cannot find it now. Maybe you can contact him https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?action=profile;u=34. Since the lens can be found so cheaply, why not simply try it out? Otherwise I can upload some test shots later, I'll see what suitable subjects I can find (human or not). Most of my shots with this lens are not portraits, I use it for everything including architecture ;D.

If you need AF, why not an AF 85/1.4 D or an AF-S 85/1.8, depending on the budget? I think the former can be found between 500-700 Euros and the latter around 200-400 Euros used. I do have experience with the 85/1.4 D. I don't use it much nowadays but every time I take it out of the drawer I'm astounded by it's beautiful rendering. It has some issues with LoCA that you need to work around depending on the conditions and if you are using apertures larger than f/2. I often use the lens from f/1.7-f/2.8 where it shows it's best IMHO. The reason I don't use it much now is because the 85mm AOV is not the most natural for me, I prefer longer (105, 135, and 180) or shorter (35, 50) most of the time. I found the lens more natural on DX than on FX, but that's just my taste.

The 180/2.8 ED Ai-s is very nice but the focal length is more niche, I would say. I use this more for concerts etc. where I need to get a tight shot from a fair distance. In any case, it has an old-school rendering which is soft and pleasing, of course the lens has quite high resolution as well, but the images look less harsh than modern designs.

Finally, the 105/2.8 AF micro (D or non-D) can be had for about the same price as a 85/1.8 AF-S and is also not bad for portraits if you can live with the slower aperture.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

f4-fan

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2020, 17:53:18 »
Has someone experiences with the

Nikon 75-150 E f/3.5

and the D850?
Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 18:03:36 »
Found this small review of 75-150:
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-nikon-75-150mm-3-5-series-e/

.....a Sony "alfa" is used...may be comparable with D850?

f4-fan

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 18:18:52 »
I cannot speak to the D850 specifically but I believe that generally speaking, lenses get better with increasing resolution sensors if you look at the final images of the same size. My experience is with D90, D7000, D700, D600, D750, and Z6 on which I have used the lenses below.

I would strongly second the recommendation for a 105/2.5 lens if your ultimate goal is to get the 105/1.4. I have the Nikkor P.C. with scalloped focus ring. This lens is simply amazing. There is a thread somewhere by Olivier Anthony who took an extensive series of excellent portraits with this lens, I believe first on the D700 and later on the Fuji XT-something, but I cannot find it now. Maybe you can contact him https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?action=profile;u=34. Since the lens can be found so cheaply, why not simply try it out? Otherwise I can upload some test shots later, I'll see what suitable subjects I can find (human or not). Most of my shots with this lens are not portraits, I use it for everything including architecture ;D.

If you need AF, why not an AF 85/1.4 D or an AF-S 85/1.8, depending on the budget? I think the former can be found between 500-700 Euros and the latter around 200-400 Euros used. I do have experience with the 85/1.4 D. I don't use it much nowadays but every time I take it out of the drawer I'm astounded by it's beautiful rendering. It has some issues with LoCA that you need to work around depending on the conditions and if you are using apertures larger than f/2. I often use the lens from f/1.7-f/2.8 where it shows it's best IMHO. The reason I don't use it much now is because the 85mm AOV is not the most natural for me, I prefer longer (105, 135, and 180) or shorter (35, 50) most of the time. I found the lens more natural on DX than on FX, but that's just my taste.

The 180/2.8 ED Ai-s is very nice but the focal length is more niche, I would say. I use this more for concerts etc. where I need to get a tight shot from a fair distance. In any case, it has an old-school rendering which is soft and pleasing, of course the lens has quite high resolution as well, but the images look less harsh than modern designs.

Finally, the 105/2.8 AF micro (D or non-D) can be had for about the same price as a 85/1.8 AF-S and is also not bad for portraits if you can live with the slower aperture.

Thanks a lot ... I agree with everthing

Unfortunately the

A. 
Nikon Nikkor P.C. 105mm f2.5

is rather expensive (300-800 (!) EUR)

AND I don't want to risc a 2. repair with a Ai-converted lens (the AI-conversion of my old micro Nikkor 55mm 3.5 destroyed the very sensitive F-FO base plate ceramic unit of my D850 ( the pressure on the bayonet was to high )

B
Example photos of AF-S 85/1.8 did:t convince me

C
AF 85/1.4 D too expensive

D.
180/2.8 ED Ai-s - very good description; perhaps not ideal for the D850

E.
Fazit: Perhaps an  105mm 2.5 Ai or Ai-s
would be the best compromise...

I am searching for a more or less 'old-school rendering' with a closer focusing distance...

Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany

f4-fan

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 18:25:01 »
Found this small review of 75-150:
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-nikon-75-150mm-3-5-series-e/

.....a Sony "alfa" is used...may be comparable with D850?

Hey - that`s the test I was searching for:

"Setting precise focus (or even focal length) is an almost impossible task with this lens and I really disliked using it at all because of this."

:'(
Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany

f4-fan

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 18:32:40 »
And whats about the

AF 105/2.8 D Micro for portaiture?

One can get this lens in really mint condition for about 200 EUR
Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2020, 18:34:13 »
This forum is a fantastic place specifically because many of it's members have the most extensive knowledge and experience with lenses you can find.  If the reputable members of NG all recommend a lens, you can trust it is good without demanding samples.  If you are looking for a portrait lens that must be cheap and you don't want to use a 50, you're simply not gonna do better than the 105/2.5. 

The most famous National Geographic cover photograph was taken with the 105/2.5
-Tristin

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2020, 18:52:40 »
A couple of examples on my D800

I know you say you don't like it, but if you want cheap reliable AF my vote would be for the afs 85 f1.8

the 105 f.2.5 AIS is awesome but sometimes I miss the focus, I find the focus dot to be reliable with this lens - it is not reliable with the 55mm f1.2. this example is with the fuji x-t3

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2020, 18:53:22 »
I do own, and use, all versions of the 105/2.5, from the early 10.5cm f/2.5 Rangefinder model up and including the 105/2.5 AIS. I warmly recommend the 105/2.5 AI version as the best of them all.

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2020, 18:58:39 »
This forum is a fantastic place specifically because many of it's members have the most extensive knowledge and experience with lenses you can find.  If the reputable members of NG all recommend a lens, you can trust it is good without demanding samples.  If you are looking for a portrait lens that must be cheap and you don't want to use a 50, you're simply not gonna do better than the 105/2.5. 

1- SteveMC does not remember or ready to confirm which lens was used.

2- SteveMC shoots on Auto mode and has a hand/finger disability.

3- The Afghan girl photo and all his others are heavily retouched....and he was caught lately at the subterfuge!!

f4-fan

• NG Member
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 18:59:31 »

I know this lens (I've had the Nikon 105 2.5 Ai and Ais both with my former Canon 5D MK 1+2 and Nikon F4.) The Ai-s Version I had was better than the Ai Version.

I also had the 105mm f/1.8 Ai-s (I liked this lens more than the 2.5)

I also had the 85mm 1.4 Ai-s (for ME the best Portrait lens AFTER the Canon 85mm 1.2 II)
I liked the special rendering of the 85mm Ai-s very much.

Unfortunately I sold all of these lenses... AND I used theses lenses analog and with max. 22 MP-Digicams

But after my first experience with the D850, I'm really unsure whether older lenses can still meet the requirements of this camera.

If the prices werent so high, I would test

Prio A.
85mm 1.4 Ai-s  // Nikon AF 85 mm/1,4 D IF

Prio B.
105mm f/1.8 Ai-s  // 105 DC f/2.0

Prio C.
105 2.5 Ai and Ais

But with my small budget, I think Prio C will become Prio A  ;D

AND I will follow Birna's recommendation and look for a Nikon 105mm 2.5 AI version

Thanks a lot for your comments...
Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2020, 19:02:52 »
You can get them at about 200 Euros in photo shops (105/2.5 AI)......if lens is not like new.....but fine optically.
I have just checked the local dealer.......they also have the AI 105/1.8 at about 200 Euros......but again lens is not like new....but fine optically.
Private I think you can get a very nice like new 105/2.5 AI at about 200 euros......it my best guess.

Else.....if you want something cheaper and with a lot of personality.....search for the Nikkor Q (four lens) 135mm's....