Author Topic: Hello from Copenhagen  (Read 3191 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Hello from Copenhagen
« on: March 07, 2020, 22:44:16 »
Hello

I have not been a very active photographer for some years now but I miss it a bit so it is my intention to become more active.
My first camera was a Yashica which took the special plastic film cassettes. Then I got my fathers Voigtländer Vitomatic IIa with Color Skopar 50/2.8 (big improvement). Later I got my fathers Nikkor 85/1.8 H-C and 35/2.0 O-C and got them AI converted to be used on my FE2. There was always a wow-effect when showing slides shot with these two lenses. Later I got a 2nd hand nice F4 when price was reasonable. I remember when it was released and I just stood outside a shop and looked at it......but at that price level it was a "no-go". Later I got a D2X and now I use my D5200 which in fact was a big improvement from D2X (if we talk image quality and ISO performance). Since then I have compared with D5300 - D5600 but not found a significant improvement in still images. The rumored Toshiba sensor in D5200 must be very good?
I also have a J4 and J5 and regret the CX cameras came to an end. Will see when I upgrade to a new DSLR or Z-camera. I like the small size of Z50 but still I don't find the image quality (when compared a dpreview) significant enough to buy a Z50 (it is also a shame that this small model does not have built-in VR in the body). Years back I also had a "Hasselblad" period. 6x6 slides was really "something".....but Hasselblad was sold when I got my D2X and found that I could make as good print outs of D2X files than scanned 6x6 slides. I have also collected a bit vintage cameras/lenses. I have some old Nikkors and also I like vintage Voigtländer lenses a lot.

/MEPER     

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Hello from Copenhagen
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 23:10:08 »
Welcome to NG. Apparently you'll fit into our member community as a hand in a glove :)

Looking forward to seeing photos and contributions to any discussion. Or open your own thread if necessary, but do search for any relevant existing ones first.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 23:23:52 »
Thank you!
Years back we had a few emails via your old web page with the Nikkor ratings and UV photography. I remember you got your Nikkor 80/2.8 AF (made for the special F3 AF) from a Danish photo shop I pointed out. I think later you also got the 200/3.5. Both nice performers but I only have the 80/2.8 (where it was necessary to cut the wires from the chip. Else it would drain the battery of the F4/F5 body). Think I may try out the 80/2.8 on D5200.......had nearly forgot that lens.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 23:51:52 »
Will check if I am able to post images.........made some attachments of 3 images where I played using D5200 as digiback on an old view camera........and tried out some "macro fun"......
This is just a test.....if images shows up........don't know if images uploads automatic........will check after posting.......they don't show up in preview.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 23:56:56 »
Welcome to our nice world.
Nice macro setup.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 23:59:33 »
Thank you!

Images showed up!

It was just some "fun"......macro shot of electronics (a DIY line stage for HiFi). The small SMD transistor is about 1 x 2 mm in real size.
An old medium format vintage Voigtländer lens used......."nerds" may recognize the lens. Even such an old lens can "do something" on a small D5200 DX sensor......and lens was not intended for macro work. More like a portrait or landscape lens :-)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 00:32:30 »
An old Voigtländer APO lens on a Linhof?

When images are attached to a post, they don't show up in he preview. Whether this is a bug or a feature of our forum software is hard to tell. Other forum packages have their own idiosyncratic approach to image posting too.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 00:44:11 »
Yes, a Voigtländer 105/4.5 APO-Lanthar (Linhof branded) on a 6x9 Technika.
They used glass with Lanthanum oxide and my seems to be a later version as the glass is still clear. The early version had also Thorium oxide which is radioactive and will discolor the glass over time to have a brown tint. Like the old Takumar 50/1.4 Pentax lenses. It is said that UV light during many weeks can reduce the tint......but I am happy with my later version even that collectors may like the early version better :-)
I tried the "UV-trick" on a Takumar 50/1.4 and was able to reduce the tint a bit.....but not remove it completely.
I have not heard about radioactive lenses in Nikkors......maybe they knew what would happen......

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 09:37:12 »
The very earliest samples of the 35/1.4 Nikkor had thorium glass and will show a yellowish-brown tint over time.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 15:33:18 »
OK....I have the AIS version. A lens I dreamed about for many years and got a nice 2nd hand one. The glass is very fine but some of the black painting inside has got some very tiny white spots which I don't like. Have seen it on other brand old lenses also…….and don't know what it is....the only Nikkor I have seen it on......so far......

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 16:15:37 »
If the "tiny spots inside" seem to have a spidery appearance or extension to them, it's fungus and should be removed as soon as possible before coatings are permanently damaged.

Post a picture if possible to allow to have a look.

Shining a lot of UV light through the lens might kill off any fungus. Using the light in broad sunny daylight will help. Also, always store a lens in dry conditions.

Painting of the edges of lens elements might chip over time, so there is a less serious alternative explanation to what you observe.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 16:59:44 »
It was not exactly as I remembered. More like a white line around the edge with some tiny white spots.
If it was chipped painting I should be able to see the chips inside the lens......but I don't think I can see any "dirt" inside.
The double-line is some optical reflections in a lens element. There is only one white line/ring.
To have something white inside a lens.....is not optimal...….

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 17:46:03 »
It was not exactly as I remembered. More like a white line around the edge with some tiny white spots.
If it was chipped painting I should be able to see the chips inside the lens......but I don't think I can see any "dirt" inside.
The double-line is some optical reflections in a lens element. There is only one white line/ring.
To have something white inside a lens.....is not optimal...….
I know what you mean. In my nearly mint (and also relative new) 85mm AF-D f/1.4  there is also a tiny white spot. No idea what it is, and where it came from. It looks like a white very small sand-grain.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 17:52:04 »
Linhof Technika plus Nikon DSLR?
cool. I do similar with my sinar p2 & f2...
Yields nice results: http://zentralkraft.com/edit_op2000_retouche_nl.jpg
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 19:04:37 »
Very nice…...you have all lines straight…...that is a nice feature using a Technica. It looks more "pro" that way. I know persons grown up with large format cameras does not like the normal shots we do using our small cameras if it is "architecture images" :-)     …..I know 35mm lenses exist that can do some tilt and shift.....but still limited compared to a Technica or other view cameras.....
It requires some education to use and a lot of time to get it all correct…….I have only "played" a bit with it......just to try it out.

For the 35/1.4 problem......I have contacted the local Nikon service to hear them …….what they think about it......