Author Topic: Anyone gone from a D850 to Z7?  (Read 8444 times)

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Anyone gone from a D850 to Z7?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2020, 12:34:05 »
I have read this topic eagerly and I’m finding that I don’t agree with Tristin at all he seems to be getting old information!
Although I’m a Z6 geezer I’m pretty sure they are practically the same. Compared to my previous Nikon experience(D70s D200 D300 D700 D800 D810) the Z6 shines with its handling and the lenses are really super, so I cannot accept all of the criticism of the Z6/Z7, as a new system it will require some firmware tweaking surely a good thing! Mirrorless is different from a DSLR and so IMHO Nikon have so far made a damn good fist of it!
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2020, 13:20:40 »
I completely agree Mike!I'm very impressed by the Z6 and Z7, the images are just wonderful and they already have a very nice line up of Z lenses of very high performance ;)
Erik Lund

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 13:37:58 »
So right Erik, and that lens stable is getting larger almost by the month. I am astonished by the Z lenses and their quality!

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 17:18:19 »
I have yet to see anyone sing the praises of the two Z50 lenses. So far, Nikon has not released any that offer the speed equivalent of those for the Z6 and Z7.
Carl

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 11:17:41 »
I purchased a mint used Z7 and returned it in one day. the build quality and lack of features present on the D8XX series disappointed me. while the live view was nice it will not replace my D850. 

my main reason for the purchase was macro using live view. also, I would never use the Z7 for wildlife, etc.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2020, 13:06:00 »
I have yet to see anyone sing the praises of the two Z50 lenses. So far, Nikon has not released any that offer the speed equivalent of those for the Z6 and Z7.
Nikon Z6 and Z7 were introduced in August 2018, the Z50 in December 2019. That's about 19 months and so far about 12 lenses are introduced. I think that's more than ok for a new system. All Z FX lenses have been tested very good to excellent. The general opinion in reviews of the DX 16-50mm and 50-200mm for the Z50 is they're both very good performing lenses for the money and optically better than their comparable F-mount counterparts.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2020, 15:01:55 »
I purchased a mint used Z7 and returned it in one day. the build quality and lack of features present on the D8XX series disappointed me. while the live view was nice it will not replace my D850. 

my main reason for the purchase was macro using live view. also, I would never use the Z7 for wildlife, etc.

Well one day to learn a new camera may be on the short side ;)
I agree with the complaint about user interface, I also like the Dxxx interface much better, but it is manageable. I have actually used the Z6 for sports, and it may not be as a D500, but the results where OK.

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2020, 16:20:37 »
Nikon Z6 and Z7 were introduced in August 2018, the Z50 in December 2019. That's about 19 months and so far about 12 lenses are introduced. I think that's more than ok for a new system. All Z FX lenses have been tested very good to excellent. The general opinion in reviews of the DX 16-50mm and 50-200mm for the Z50 is they're both very good performing lenses for the money and optically better than their comparable F-mount counterparts.
I agree with Luc totally. What are the complaints regarding the user interface? What’s not right with the interface? Why not tell us the details of the complaints? I’m seeing lots of moans and very little substance!
But at least the interface can be altered by firmware updates. The AF has recently been massively updated recently!
I’ve been through over the last three years three different systems, Fujifilm, Lumix and now back to a Nikon system, so come on chaps put a little meat onto the groans please!

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2020, 16:26:16 »
Well the interface works, but it is different from the pro-interface found on the Dxxx cameras,
The 2x4 banks used on the Dxxx cameras is more versatile and can named so one can remember what they do.
I personally like the Dxxx interface better, that’s not that I can’t work with the U1 to U3 interface ;)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2020, 16:34:26 »
The 2x4 banks used on the Dxxx cameras is more versatile and can named so one can remember what they do.
It's just what you are used too.

Personally, I find those banks a complete black-hole disaster in a non-logical set-up.  So I always neglected them.

I use the U- style profiles however, that makes more sense.  A quick change of settings for Pano/Macro and Portraits.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2020, 17:38:34 »

Did I miss images from the new Z DX lenses, along with their praises, posted here on NG?
Carl

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2020, 17:45:38 »

I was very disappointed with the Z6 when I bought it.
It didn't feel right, and viewfinder was confusing/disappointing.
It took me about a month using side by side with a DF to come to love it.
Now I can't go back...
Maybe you can try again when Z8 comes out.

D850 is still a very good camera. If it does what you want, then no need to change.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2020, 17:46:53 »
... the images are just wonderful and
they already have a very nice line up of Z lenses of very high performance ;)

I'm not up to speed with the roadmap, but my main interest is in lenses over 200mm (and where possible, primes)

So it's great to hear how good the Z lenses are, and that the FTZ adapter allows continuity.
However this feels something I'd like to see progress on before the end of 2020, not some years into the future. Sadly it seems the only imminent ones will be zooms.

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2020, 18:09:05 »
I'm not up to speed with the roadmap, but my main interest is in lenses over 200mm (and where possible, primes)

So it's great to hear how good the Z lenses are, and that the FTZ adapter allows continuity.
However this feels something I'd like to see progress on before the end of 2020, not some years into the future. Sadly it seems the only imminent ones will be zooms.
Colin, with the FTZ adapter one can use super telephoto lenses, I’m reading good things about the 500mm PF lens which I’m led to believe is a lightweight and powerful telephoto, and that’s just one adapted long lens, along with plenty of others! It would be naive to expect a complete stable of lenses on day one, which is why the FTZ was made at launch!

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2020, 22:20:20 »
Did I miss images from the new Z DX lenses, along with their praises, posted here on NG?
To my knowledge of the active NG members only Birna owns a Z50 and occasionally posts about it. But lots of info can of course be found on the www.