Author Topic: Voigtländer 15/4.5 on Nikon Z  (Read 4100 times)

simsurace

• NG Member
Voigtländer 15/4.5 on Nikon Z
« on: January 22, 2020, 12:01:26 »
There is the E-mount version III to be used with an E-Z adapter, and there is the F-mount (SL series) version that can be used on FTZ. I could buy both for about the same price.
Does anyone know how they compare optically, especially with regards to cover glass thickness issues on the Nikon Z6/Z7?
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Voigtländer 15/4.5 on Nikon Z
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 13:24:51 »
The F mount SL, is a vintage version quite rare, 'normal' coatings - My guess would be you get a nice vintage look ;)
The Mark III is very good, it's the latest version optimized coatings and image quality also available in Leica M mount.I have only used it on Leica M - No idea how the performance is on the Z
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 13:33:12 »
I do own the 15/4.5 SL and while the lens is very good on film, it is less convincing in its performance on digital cameras. I did try it on my Z7. Thus the newer (E-mount) version would be my first choice.

The SL does make for a very compact setup on the Z cameras, though.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 13:57:23 »
Thanks for your comments. Birna, do you happen to have a sample image from the 15/4.5 SL on the Z7?
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 14:35:07 »
Not at present. Might try later, but not with the Z7 as the latter is exclusively dedicated to macro work these days. There are Z6/Z50 available for testing, though.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 14:46:20 »
No worries, only if time is available. Z6 is what I would use as well.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 15:26:10 »
There are three versions of Voigt 15/4.5: I, II and III.  I and II share the same optical designs, and the F-mount version was one of their derivatives.  The type III version is of a totally different optical design (6G8E for I and II vs. 9G11E).  As Birna points out, III is optimized for full-frame digital sensors.

Here is a review comparing II and III on Leica M and Sony A7II bodies:

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/special/690288.html?ref=pick&utm_content=pc-top&utm_campaign=pick&utm_source=dc.watch.impress.co.jp&utm_medium=content-text

The texts are all in Japanese, but the difference between the two is obvious.  The version II shows severe purple color shading in the peripherals.

Frankly speaking, I don't see any advantage to choose I or II.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 16:40:36 »
Thanks Akira, this is very helpful.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 22:48:26 »
Glad to be of any help.  The reviewer also used A7R for the comparison.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 04:40:02 »
Simone, I have had the 15 4.5 iii VM for quite some time.  I mounted it on the Z6 and took a few images from the balcony using dumb LM-NZ adapter when I bought the Z6.  Nothing worth posting but I use primarily for Street and Documentary of fishermen.    I have used on Sony a7ii, a7rii and a7iii with Techart Pro Af adapter and VM Close Focus Adapter.  JJ (Chan) has a Shoton Close Focus LM-NZ adapter which I would like to try.   I am very happy with the lens and supposedly better on Z bodies than Sony a7xx bodies.   The way I use it I just use MF and never worry about exif .   I will try using it in the next few days at an Event for some real shooting  ;) .    It is one of those lenses that always gets included in the bag as opposed to my 14-24 2.8G which only went out for specific shooting (why I sold it) .
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 12:36:04 »
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments. I decided to pick up a used E-mount version III for a good price. Lens should arrive over the weekend, will post my findings. I haven't had such a wide lens since I sold my Tokina 11-16 DX lens some 7-8 years ago, my current widest is 18mm, so I'm curious whether I will be comfortable with 15mm. I'm looking forward to the gorgeous sunstars. The Nikon 20/1.8 is very nice in this respect but I believe the Voigtländer to be a notch above.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 06:48:01 »
Simone, please do post some shots with the new lens/camera combo once you have something that you'd like to share.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 13:52:24 »
Sun stars are as a general rule,,,  ::) I would say the; Ai / Ais / AF / AF-D 7 or 9 straight aperture blade type lenses, somehow the coatings allow nice sunstars,,, A domain for the vintage :)
Later coatings reduce flare and streaks way too much and the rounded aperture openings don't break up the light as much,,,
Erik Lund

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 11:57:41 »
Nice little lens, not so easy to shoot with it for me due to the pronounced character and wide AOV. I will have to practise a bit more...

The files definitely need some massaging to come to life, more than with Nikon glass I would say. I have been mostly shooting in the square and 16:9 formats directly in camera. It is nice to be able to compose the shot already in the target format thanks to the EVF. Here are some square format samples from Bern, Switzerland taken on the way to work:
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 12:00:48 »
Apparently you came to grips with this super-wide lens easier than you describe :). Nice work.