Author Topic: Voigtländer 15/4.5 on Nikon Z  (Read 4136 times)

simsurace

• NG Member
Re: Voigtländer 15/4.5 on Nikon Z
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 12:13:35 »
Thanks! Well, the success rate is not so high. Most compositions don't work as well as expected, I'm always surprised about all the stuff that ends up in the frame, and then I need a lot of time tweaking my position by a few centimeters in order to get the lines where I want them. But it is a fun exercise!
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 12:19:14 »
The wide view is really the Achilles heel of those super-wide lenses. We do want the look and the amazing feeling of depth, but not all the bits and unwanted pieces popping up in the frame. Often, these distractions don't make themselves noticeable until later, when the outcome is critically examined. Our brains are not so good at detecting and declining the visual "junk" before it's too late :(

Over the years I found myself more comfortable with the approx. 80 degree view of a 24/25mm lens on an FF camera. Thus I more rarely break out my ultrawides these days.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2020, 12:47:04 »
That's true! It is a good training for the mind to notice the small details.

Here are a few more in 16:9. Blue hues seem to be predominant in my images this time of year. Luckily sometimes there is a dab of something else.

The middle shot is a good example for a subject that is quite difficult to align handheld. I must have been standing there for 5 minutes trying to get the top edge of the building parallel to the lowest line of bricks. I got quite close but had to correct the remaining error in ACR.

The lowermost shot was taken on the tripod with a 10 stop ND filter (58mm thread) from NiSi (15s exposure). There is no vignetting with this filter, so for the moment I can forego drastic measures such as cutting off the petals as some people do in order to mount more elaborate filter solutions. Petals are very useful with such a wide lens because it is easy to bump into stuff when composing dramatic shots.  :P

Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2020, 16:04:57 »
all three are very good, my fav is the one with the orange window
Thomas Stellwag

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2020, 17:01:36 »
Thanks Thomas!
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2020, 18:09:52 »
That's true! It is a good training for the mind to notice the small details.

Here are a few more in 16:9. Blue hues seem to be predominant in my images this time of year. Luckily sometimes there is a dab of something else.

The middle shot is a good example for a subject that is quite difficult to align handheld. I must have been standing there for 5 minutes trying to get the top edge of the building parallel to the lowest line of bricks. I got quite close but had to correct the remaining error in ACR.

The lowermost shot was taken on the tripod with a 10 stop ND filter (58mm thread) from NiSi (15s exposure). There is no vignetting with this filter, so for the moment I can forego drastic measures such as cutting off the petals as some people do in order to mount more elaborate filter solutions. Petals are very useful with such a wide lens because it is easy to bump into stuff when composing dramatic shots.  :P

Top is my favorite, sharp and detailed

The second image is my second favorite, I too like the orange window.

The bottom image came in last place for me because of the OOF clouds. That one impressed me as one that might have been the result of an accidental activation of the shutter release.
Carl

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2020, 18:30:33 »
Thanks for the comments. The clouds would be in focus but they are blurred by the wind.
I guess in the greater scheme of things all shutter activations are accidental, aren't they  ;D
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2022, 20:13:21 »
The Voigtlander Super Wider Heliar 15mm f/4.5  First version LTM mount, serial number 9860552  here  on the Nikon Z7 with the Pixco M39 - Nik Z adapter.  The lens reaches infinity, so that is fine.

But there is huge problem with the orientation of the lens, because the largest pedal of the non-removable sunhood is not on top of the camera.  In this position there is of course severe vignetting, and visibility of a part of the sunhood.

Is this a problem of the lens, or the adapter. And what can give a solution?

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2022, 20:44:51 »
 my L 39 to NEX adapter has a small screw outside, which blocks rotation. If you loosen it you can turn the thread ring inside the adapter ring and adjust their position.  search for such an adapter and any 39mm
will fit
Thomas Stellwag

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2022, 20:55:51 »
my L 39 to NEX adapter has a small screw outside, which blocks rotation. If you loosen it you can turn the thread ring inside the adapter ring and adjust their position.  search for such an adapter and any 39mm
will fit
Thanks for the advice, Thomas.  That seems to be the solution. Normally the orientation of a lens, is not that important, apart from the esthetics, but here it is crucial.  I hope such an adapter exists.

Not sure the Pixco has the correct screw... https://pixco.com.cn/products/m39-nikon-z-adapter?_pos=7&_sid=db9e72408&_ss=r

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2022, 22:56:10 »
Never seen a 39 or 42mm adapter without a screw option to adjust the orientation.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2022, 23:03:19 »
I think there is an option on this one.  I did not recognize it, because it are grub screws

The problem is solved now   :D

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2022, 20:47:58 »
The first version of the Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar 15mm f/4.5  in the LTM mount (M39).  Here on the Z7