Author Topic: Adapter thread. The new Lords of the Rings.  (Read 27349 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Adapter thread. The new Lords of the Rings.
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2020, 13:50:04 »
I also use the ZM39 Helios-44 with M42 to Z adapter as first image shows. Then I first mount a M39 to M42 ring that keeps the same flange distance.
But infinity focus is just not there. It is close. I am sure it is the missing 0.26 mm. If I stop down I can "hide" the error. It is the same with both Helios 40 and 44. Lenses can probably be "re-adjusted" to be "real" M42 lenses like Pentax M42.

2nd image is with Helios-44 and is about as far I can focus. It was stopped down to f8. I could focus on wall but not at roof.
3rd image is as close as I can focus at full aperture just to test the lens. It is quite sharp even wide open. I need other kind of images to evaluate the bokeh. 

I took it granted that M42 and Zenit M39 mounts share the same flange back.  Industar 50 is the only Zenit mount lens I've ever had and had no problem with the M42 adapter.  It is a 50mm f3.5 lens and show quite strong field curvature.  So, its relatively large DOF and pronounced field curvature made the infinity focus error unnoticeable. 
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Alaun

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2020, 14:15:06 »
The Noflexar have a 50mm opening on the backside, ending with a rim and the inner surface is riffled. That is perfect to put a filter glass in from a 52mm filter and thanks to the riffles, you can make a little spring to fix the filter. Seems to work perfectly for UV  :)

Wer-      Dro-
      ner         ste

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2020, 15:56:39 »
The Gem arrived! OM Zuiko 1.2/55mm (1982): http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/50mm.htm

Wonderful dreamy rendering at f/1.2
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2020, 16:32:32 »
I took it granted that M42 and Zenit M39 mounts share the same flange back.  Industar 50 is the only Zenit mount lens I've ever had and had no problem with the M42 adapter.  It is a 50mm f3.5 lens and show quite strong field curvature.  So, its relatively large DOF and pronounced field curvature made the infinity focus error unnoticeable.

There is a little bit of a difference. The "lens man" from Ukraine also suggest that the adaption was made on M42 adapter. Then I took a close look at the adapter and found out it is a 3 piece construction. The 42mm thread, a spacer and the Z-mount extender. The spacer is 1.5mm thick and if I just remove that then Helios-44 can infinity focus and a good way past infinity. The Helios 40 also works. It just sit a little bit deeper in the mount but not as deep as the Helios 44.
If I can find a spacer at about 1.2 mm it would be perfect. Spacer is 50mm in outer diameter and 36-37 inner diameter. So that was quite a "quick fix". I was not aware the M42 adapter had that construction.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2020, 19:00:14 »
There is a little bit of a difference. The "lens man" from Ukraine also suggest that the adaption was made on M42 adapter. Then I took a close look at the adapter and found out it is a 3 piece construction. The 42mm thread, a spacer and the Z-mount extender. The spacer is 1.5mm thick and if I just remove that then Helios-44 can infinity focus and a good way past infinity. The Helios 40 also works. It just sit a little bit deeper in the mount but not as deep as the Helios 44.
If I can find a spacer at about 1.2 mm it would be perfect. Spacer is 50mm in outer diameter and 36-37 inner diameter. So that was quite a "quick fix". I was not aware the M42 adapter had that construction.

Lucky you!  That could be the solution good enough to use these lenses, unless maybe you zone-focus with the wideangles.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #125 on: May 22, 2020, 19:30:08 »
Lucky you!  That could be the solution good enough to use these lenses, unless maybe you zone-focus with the wideangles.

Yes, I think it will be fine. I can look for a thinner spacer ring but probably not easy to find one that just fits. What I observed was that the 42mm thread ring has conical surface where the 3 set screws locks the ring. And according to my knowledge the ring was inserted reversed. I inserted it so set screws will press on the conical surface so ring can not easily fall out if set screws go loose. Maybe other with Pixco M42 adapters can check that. Set screws was on the "loose side" when I unscrewed them.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2020, 21:59:27 »
Just a small update on my use of Zenit M39 SLR lens using M42 adapter adjusted so infinity focus is possible.
I tried Helios-40 which is a large lens for the Z50 2nd image is just a test for infinity sharpness stopped down. It was overcast but I was surprised that stopped down this lens is sharp and I did not see any CA. 3rd image is a 100% crop. 4th image is at full aperture (f = 1.5) just to get a feeling for bokeh. I did not find anything real exciting on the short walk I had. But lens may be fun to use for some special "bokeh" images as lens seems sharp enough wide open if focus is "nailed spot on".

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2020, 09:20:12 »
I just got two new Pixco Z-adapters. a QBM and a Leica M. The Leica M to Z has a built in focus helicoid to be able to focus a bit closed than min. focus distance for the lens. However I don't think I can recommend this adapter as the springs applies a very strong force so it is difficult to mount a M-lens. I tried with my Hektor 135/4.5 (cheap lens) and after a couple of times I had it on and off it is now permanently stuck on. I can accept it with this lens but good I did not do it with the 50/2. Think I can see what caused the trouble. It can disengage with the pin that clicks into place but the spring has "worked" on the metal on the lens bayonet and created a (in Danish "metal grat") which prevent the lens to be removed. I could probably find a solution to remove it but until now I accept that it is permanently on :-)     .....for the 50/2 and 50/2.8 it will be a Novoflex adapter.

The QBM adapter works much better. Easy to get lens on and off.
I have a 50/1.8 and a 50/1.4 for Rollei SLR. The 50/1.4 is a German made Zeiss lens. The 50/1.8 is a "Singapore" version.
How these lenses performs I don't know yet but I assume they can do ok.

The Leica 135/4.5 Hektor seems to have a pleasant bokeh wide open by a first quick look.   

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2020, 13:36:10 »
I noticed that the Nikon Z rear caps do not hold onto some of the third party adapters. Did anyone find third-party Nikon Z lens caps that are a tighter fit? My inquiries with various eBay sellers were unsuccessful (based on the answers I got, I doubt that they understood my queries).
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2020, 13:24:04 »
I noticed that the Nikon Z rear caps do not hold onto some of the third party adapters. Did anyone find third-party Nikon Z lens caps that are a tighter fit? My inquiries with various eBay sellers were unsuccessful (based on the answers I got, I doubt that they understood my queries).

I ordered a generic third party cap from ebay and indeed it is a bit tighter than the factory Nikon one, thus being able to serve as a rear cap for adapted E-mount lenses.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2020, 13:51:06 »
I ordered a generic third party cap from ebay and indeed it is a bit tighter than the factory Nikon one, thus being able to serve as a rear cap for adapted E-mount lenses.

Yes, one has to remember which way the caps twist off or we just tighten them. It is the same with filters that get stuck. The best way I have found to remove stuck filters is to place them (carefully) facedown on the rubber sole of a shoe or a piece of flat rubber, press down firmly, and turn in the right direction. Has worked every time for me.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2020, 15:03:19 »
Yes, one has to remember which way the caps twist off or we just tighten them. It is the same with filters that get stuck. The best way I have found to remove stuck filters is to place them (carefully) facedown on the rubber sole of a shoe or a piece of flat rubber, press down firmly, and turn in the right direction. Has worked every time for me.

That's a good point that regards a different issue, but just to clarify: my reply to myself was just to note that while the factory Nikon rear caps are too loose to work with some Sony E to Nikon Z adapters (i.e. they fall off because they can in fact not be tightened), there are some third-party rear caps that are a tighter fit and can in fact be tightened.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2020, 23:52:58 »
Sometimes i have seen the same issue with Nikon F rear caps.

Third party lens mounts are not always completely within the correct tolerances.

Good to know that third party caps are tighter for Z as well
Erik Lund

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2021, 10:47:40 »
Just got a vintage lens : a Meyer Optic Görlitz 100mm 2.8 Orestor. Light and not too big regarding its focal (100mm).

It's the first lens I get in Exacta mount.

I had bought this Exacta/ nikon Z adapter some months ago in case...

Very good ring, holding the lens tightly with no play both sides. Unfortunately, the make is not mentioned on the ring. It looks like very much a Pixco one. Same markings same machining.

Anyway, ready to test it (when the weather allows... 8).

Few pics :
Francis Devrainne

hmallat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Personal website
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2021, 20:29:40 »
Hi all,

I finally joined the Z crowd (late, I know) and plan to use mostly my existing AF-S Nikkors and manual lenses, both Nikkors and a couple of Leica mount ones with my Z6.

I have the FTZ, of course, and a dumb adapter for M-mount, so I am all set in principle.

However, I've been wondering if there are any chipped adapters anywhere? Haven't managed to find any so far. Would be easier to have an adapter with a "Z Dandelion" built in than to start modifying certain MF Nikkors, and for 3rd party lenses a F chip wouldn't be an option anyway.