Author Topic: Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 Ai-S Repair!!!  (Read 643 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Member
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 Ai-S Repair!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 06:07:45 »
The Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 Ai-S debuted in 1981 to replace the aging design that was pioneered by the then-ground-breaking Nikkor-N 24mm f/2.8 Auto. The optical design didn’t change from that point until this lens came about.
Great article as always! A minor correction: the optics of the Nikkor-N 24mm 1:2:8 has 9 elements in 7 groups, it was the first lens with close range correction (floating elements) to give improved performance at close range and infinity. The Nikkor-N.C (with multicoating) and New Nikkor (modern barrel design) have the same optics. The AI 24/2.8 from 1977 already has the new optical design with 9 elements in 9 groups, also with CRC. The same optics were then used in the AI-S, AF and AF-D versions :)

mxbianco

• NG Member
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 08:59:12 »
I have the Nikkor N.C non-AI version (late serial 405xxx), and there are two more differences:
  • Smallest aperture is f:16 (vs f:22 of the AI/AIs)
  • Iris has 6 blades (AI/AIs versions have 7)

My sample has not been AI converted, I could mount it with no effort in the FTZ adapter of my Z6. The rear flange is nice enough not to obstruct mounting in any way.

Tried a few photos, quality is very good, focussing these lenses on a Z6 is a charm

Unless they build an FTZ-2 with an aperture feeler, there is no current need for me to convert this lens to AI. Maybe chipping it (easy), so I don't forget to change lens type in the non-CPU menu.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

richardHaw

• NG Member
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 09:10:18 »
Great article as always! A minor correction: the optics of the Nikkor-N 24mm 1:2:8 has 9 elements in 7 groups, it was the first lens with close range correction (floating elements) to give improved performance at close range and infinity. The Nikkor-N.C (with multicoating) and New Nikkor (modern barrel design) have the same optics. The AI 24/2.8 from 1977 already has the new optical design with 9 elements in 9 groups, also with CRC. The same optics were then used in the AI-S, AF and AF-D versions :)

Thanks, chief! :o :o :o

I will correct it now!

richardHaw

• NG Member
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 09:11:32 »
I have the Nikkor N.C non-AI version (late serial 405xxx), and there are two more differences:
  • Smallest aperture is f:16 (vs f:22 of the AI/AIs)
  • Iris has 6 blades (AI/AIs versions have 7)

My sample has not been AI converted, I could mount it with no effort in the FTZ adapter of my Z6. The rear flange is nice enough not to obstruct mounting in any way.

Tried a few photos, quality is very good, focussing these lenses on a Z6 is a charm

Unless they build an FTZ-2 with an aperture feeler, there is no current need for me to convert this lens to AI. Maybe chipping it (easy), so I don't forget to change lens type in the non-CPU menu.

Ciao from Massimo

the non-Ai one has smoother focus transition :o :o :o

this one has better contrast ::) but it loses the vintage feel

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Fotoverhalen
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 17:29:29 »
Thanks for the review and your repair-details, Richard. 

This is shot with the Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 NC version.  The old one, with some multi-coating ;)  (also posted in January 2020)

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 22:43:06 »
Your work will prove invaluable for decades to come Richard.  Many thanks.
-Tristin

richardHaw

• NG Member
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 15:16:37 »
Thanks for the review and your repair-details, Richard. 

This is shot with the Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 NC version.  The old one, with some multi-coating ;)  (also posted in January 2020)

The old one is nice but the Ai-S gives me more contrasty photos :o :o :o which i like but if i want smoother tones, the older one is better ::)

richardHaw

• NG Member
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 15:17:23 »

thank you! i wonder if i can publish books :o :o :o

but whats the point? people can see my stuff online and it will be hard to edit my things ::)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 21:01:03 »
Echoing Tristin. Fantastic work as usual. Most generous.
  Thanks a lot for sharing it

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 08:23:48 »
Wonderful resource Rick! Thank you
For those who want more there is also a lot on the 24mm f/2.8 on the Mir site:
https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/AF24mm/index.htm

The images of the CRC part is difficult to see clearly, would be nice to see one day ;)
Erik Lund

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 10:53:15 »
thank you! i wonder if i can publish books :o :o :o

but whats the point? people can see my stuff online and it will be hard to edit my things ::)

That would be fantastic!  Though I would perhaps wait until you felt you covered Ai/Ai-s to a comfortable enough degree to make it really count.  In fact, I think you publishing a book on the matter is such a good idea, that I urge you to create a thread listing the lenses you can cover in such a book, and solicit opinions on lenses that should be covered that you haven't.  I  have a feeling that the good souls of NikonGear would be willing to help you fill in the niches in order to make this happen.  I would sign up to purchase such a book tomorrow, it would prove an absolutely priceless resource for Nikkor lovers for many decades, or centuries if you went for hardcover.

Keep in mind, "the internet is forever" is a very short-sighted view.  Please do put your knowledge to material record.  I wish I had more than my measly Ai/Ai-s "collection" to help you in this regard.
-Tristin