Author Topic: D750 owners - Z6 experience?  (Read 5115 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
D750 owners - Z6 experience?
« on: November 29, 2019, 14:41:34 »
I am of course drawn to the Z6 and the new lenses. I enjoy my D750 about 2/3 of time and Df 1/3 of time. All arounder lens is 24-120 f4 and favorite lens is 58 1.4. I have a few MF lenses but rarely use them.

For those of you that have taken the Z plunge, what are your thoughts on Z6 (or 7) vs the D750? I’ve read most of the Z thread but looking for more direct comparison of Z6 to D750?

Thanks,
Rob. 

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: D750 owners - Z6 experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 19:05:10 »
ask Paco, he just dumped his D750 for a Z6 and is extremely happy
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 23:42:29 »
I am a happy owner. Recently sold my d750 -amazing camera I still love- to buy a second Z6. The mirrorless check a basic need for me from the estar: silent shutter; so I was sold from day one. Oter advantages are for manual focusing, high fps, smaller, can take almost any lens. The evf has to be taken into consideration as it is a major change form the dslr (pros and cons have been debated at lenght, no the place to have a go at it again). A little better in the high iso department and very precise focus with every lens I have put on. Files can take big "massage" in post with little penalty. Much, much better video capabilities.
   Much shorter battery life
    Less buttons
    Smaller grip
    Screw af lens wiill not autofoucs
    Not possible to use a dx lens in fx mode. Don´t ask me why

I think that summarize the bigger points for my use. Bottom line, I have sold the D750 so it works better for me. I kept the d500...

If you have any specific question?

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 07:08:40 »
Rob, unfortunately I killed my D750.  Loved the camera.   I replaced it with the Sony a7iii.   I can do pretty much everything with the Sony that I could do with the D750 but I've never bought any long lenses for Sony since I have a good, but dated, collection of long glass for Nikon.   Enter the Z6/7.   I actually bought the Z6 for my long Nikon lenses.  Buying the Z6, FTZ and 24-70 f4 kit was appreciably cheaper than the Sony 100-400.  I still have D500, Df and D300s.    The Z6 is not the best for Sports and BIF.  I prefer the D500, Sony a7iii and Df.  In that order.    Part of it is OVF for me is better for fast action which can come from any direction.  The a7iii and Z6 still have some quirks associated with the EVF.

I have had to take a hard look at what I am shooting now.   For several reasons I do not shoot as much Soccer these days and the Birding in Goa has really gone downhill.   Loss of habitat and changing weather patterns.

These days I shoot mostly Events, Street, Documentary and some promotional stuff.   I pick up the Z6 most often these days.  It gets the nod over the a7iii  due to the user interface.
I pretty much agree with Paco.  Battery life has not been a problem for me.  The 58 1.4G still resides on the Df as does the DC105 f2D and 85 1.4D.   The 58 1.4 works well on the FTZ.
I have no complaints , for my use, with the Z6.
Cheers,
Edit: the Df may go and maybe not  ;)

If I am out just for photography I take at least two cameras.  I always have a camera with me when I leave the houe and that camera tends to be the 6.
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 13:36:37 »
Great vignettes Paco and Tommy, it lines up with what I am thinking. I will probably sell my D750, although I can't imagine much of a market for it now. I have a modest collection of lens that make sense to adapt and will get some native Z lens. My photography is street and events (my personal events, not professional) and some landscapes and travel.

When I bought the D750 I was worried the Df would not see any service, but I still pick it up from time to time.

As a sidebar (not relevant to getting a camera), it doesn't seem like Nikon will iterate versions as quick as Sony. Sony has picked up the Mark I, II, III numbering like Canon. I prefer distinct model numbers I am glad to see Nikon releasing firmware updates more significantly than in the past.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 22:43:13 »
Great vignettes Paco and Tommy, it lines up with what I am thinking. I will probably sell my D750, although I can't imagine much of a market for it now. I have a modest collection of lens that make sense to adapt and will get some native Z lens. My photography is street and events (my personal events, not professional) and some landscapes and travel.

When I bought the D750 I was worried the Df would not see any service, but I still pick it up from time to time.

As a sidebar (not relevant to getting a camera), it doesn't seem like Nikon will iterate versions as quick as Sony. Sony has picked up the Mark I, II, III numbering like Canon. I prefer distinct model numbers I am glad to see Nikon releasing firmware updates more significantly than in the past.

Not your question, but I use Z6 99% of the time. DF sits on the shelf now. With my close vision being not as good as when I was young, the EVF makes amHUGE difference with manual focus lenses that I like to use.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 03:34:01 »
Thanks Jack, I suspect my experience will be the same. Pulled the trigger, awaiting arrival!

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 14:53:54 »
To any Z6/7ers out there... to what extent do you use the FTZ vs. the native lens? So for example the 85 1.8G + FTZ vs. native 85 1.8S ? (obviously the native set is limited, so I am talking about where they overlap 24, 50, 85 for now).

Thanks,
Rob.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 15:40:16 »
On my standard Z6, I'm using the "native" lenses wherever possible. Current set is 14-30/4, 24-70/4, 35/1.8, 50/1.8, and 85/1.8. Waiting for my ordered 24/1.8 to arrive.

The Z7 is locked into macro work and here I'm using either Mitutoyo 5X/10X objectives, Laowa 25/2.8 Ultra-Macro, or the Micro-Nikkor 60/2.8, all of them through FTZ.

The third Z, a full-spectrum Z6, uses whatever lens takes my fancy, or I can make a bespoke lens adapter for.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 02:58:21 »
To any Z6/7ers out there... to what extent do you use the FTZ vs. the native lens? So for example the 85 1.8G + FTZ vs. native 85 1.8S ? (obviously the native set is limited, so I am talking about where they overlap 24, 50, 85 for now).

Thanks,
Rob.

I have the 24-70 f/4 and the 14-30 f/4
I don't have equivalent F mount zooms.
I use FTZ with MF nikkors and it is great.
For travel and carrying everyday I keep a native lens on it.
When I need or want to work with a different focal length the FTZ is no problem.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 09:36:24 »
I have two Z6 at the moment both with FTZ adapter.   Only one native lens, the 50/1.8 S and that is an extremely good lens.

FTZ works brilliantly with the AF-S lenses I have, the 17-35/2.8  80-200/2.8 and the 300/4   Also the 60/2.8 and 50/1.4 G lenses work perfectly on the Z6. 

Manual lenses are also a treat to work with on the Z6. The zoom (100% or 50%)  during focusing is an addictive treat.  Hard to go back to other camera's.  Advantage, also Pre-Ai lenses work on the Z6/7 

There are 20 lenses to program manual. To get a correct EXIF I enter the lens focal lenght with the widest aperture (used frequently) and one stopped down a bit, so I can easily adapt to the correct lens/aperture.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 20:48:43 »

There are 20 lenses to program manual. To get a correct EXIF I enter the lens focal lenght with the widest aperture (used frequently) and one stopped down a bit, so I can easily adapt to the correct lens/aperture.

Could you tell me more about this... you set up two entries for the same lens?

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2019, 03:14:18 »
Don't know if I am late, but after ~5k shots with the Z6, I can tell you the main differences I note after using a D750 for years.  First off, note that I do not have AF lenses, so can't speak of that area.

Positives:
  • EVF is easier to use in the dark
  • Zoom for focus
  • IBIS
  • Silent Shooting can be very handy sometimes

Negatives:
  • Images are noticeably softer and have functionally worse DR because lifted shadows have not only colored, but patterned, noise that the D750 does not at all have in the same circumstance.
  • More P&S style control, like shutter release modes in menus and other details add up to make the Z6 noticeably slower to operate than the D750
  • Sensor gets dirty far faster.
  • No aperture reporting for non-chipped lenses

To get a correct EXIF I enter the lens focal lenght with the widest aperture (used frequently) and one stopped down a bit, so I can easily adapt to the correct lens/aperture.

He is referring to a clever work-around to the last negative I listed for the Z6.  If you enter a 50/1.2, it will only register shots as being taken at f/1.2.  By creating a second profile at, say, f/5.6, you can swap to that lens profile to record the correct aperture when shooting at f/5.6.  Obviously not ideal, and very limited with 20 slots...

It's worth getting if you like doing low light photography hand-held and use manual lenses often.  I've only used adapted lenses as none of the Z lenses have piqued my interest yet.
-Tristin

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2019, 10:13:53 »
Tirstin, I concur with your findings but your first point In the negative section. I think the files of both cameras are pretty close in that regard. If anything, they look sharper on the Z6 but in can be because auto and manual focus are almost always spot on at any aperture. I haven't notice anymore noise in the shadows and, like you, often work with dark images in high iso for stage.
  Sample variation doesn't sound likely in sensor? I'm currently using light room almost exclusively, may have an impact?

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2019, 11:19:15 »
I note a reference to the Nikon 24-120  F4 VR. I don't know if all are aware that there are two versions of this . A bad older 15 element f4 VR  and a 17 element F4 VR.  They look identical so if buying second hand beware .
Also a comment on the image being soft   JPEG ?   Do you have the sharpness at +9  ?
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance