Author Topic: D750 owners - Z6 experience?  (Read 5121 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
Re: D750 owners - Z6 experience?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2019, 16:49:26 »
I note a reference to the Nikon 24-120  F4 VR. I don't know if all are aware that there are two versions of this . A bad older 15 element f4 VR  and a 17 element F4 VR.  They look identical so if buying second hand beware .

How do you tell the difference?

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2019, 17:25:21 »
How do you tell the difference?
The bad one has variable aperture ;)
There are only one f4 version, according to Rolands website.
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#14_24-xx

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2019, 00:41:16 »
Tirstin, I concur with your findings but your first point In the negative section. I think the files of both cameras are pretty close in that regard. If anything, they look sharper on the Z6 but in can be because auto and manual focus are almost always spot on at any aperture. I haven't notice anymore noise in the shadows and, like you, often work with dark images in high iso for stage.
  Sample variation doesn't sound likely in sensor? I'm currently using light room almost exclusively, may have an impact?

I will post a review with examples soon.  I used the Z6 for a month in Poland and ended up going back to HDR bracketing to avoid the Z6's banded shadow noise.  The noise I can deal with, but the banding has ruined images for me.  I had gotten used to highlight-weighted single shot HDR shooting with the D750, and quickly found out that doesn't fly with the Z6. 

The sharpness I honestly don't have an issue with, it's not a big deal.  I forget about it until I open a D750 raw and see the difference.
-Tristin

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2019, 16:18:03 »
No not the old variable aperture one which is bad ...the original 24-120 Vr was 15 elements New one 17 ….Not sure where I read this but I owned an early 24-120  F4  VR and it was terrible soft.
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance