Author Topic: Nikkor Z-mount roadmap updated  (Read 14928 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Nikkor Z-mount roadmap updated
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 11:31:41 »
Yes, strongly agree.  Ditto re the D850, D750 etc.

Even pretty basic Olympus OMD M43 ameras offer this facility.

In particular when the current Z cameras lack the handy voice recording provided by high-end single-digit Dx models.
Hugh Gunn

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 22:41:35 »
I'm curious if Nikon will announce the 85 S to be faster than 1.2.  Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest and it would be a wise move.  Canon shooters have long touted their access to a faster 85 than Nikon shooters, so given Z's advantage in faster apertures, even an 85/1.1 would be a good strategic move.  Along with a competitively priced and stellar performing 85/1.8, a high end 85/<1.2 would shift Canon to the 'if-you-want-average' department in this area.  Would be an absolute marketing win, and the lens people at Nikon are certainly aggressive and confident enough to do it.
-Tristin

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 19:39:39 »
Getting native Z Micro-Nikkors would be a real boost to make Z the future preferred approach .... Certanly Nikon can do [much] better than the latest AFS 105 Micro?

Nikon hasn't ever updated the 200 AF and the 70-180 AF Micro Nikkors, the whole Nikon 1 System failed also because it never got any native close-up capability, so Nikon is definitely not focussing on the needs of Close-up nerds. Canons 65 mm solution for going beyond 1:1 remained without a competitor for years now - and Nikon never produced a stellar 100/105/125 mm Micro Nikkor with outstanding Bokeh although they certainly can do it if they want to. I am not sure whether the roadmap (including the usual 60 mm and 105 mm focal lengths will change that.
Wolfgang Rehm

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 19:42:38 »
I'm curious if Nikon will announce the 85 S to be faster than 1.2.  Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest and it would be a wise move. 
To be honest I would be surprised although I agree it to be a wise strategic move. It also would have been wise to make a Z-Noct without AF f/,07
Wolfgang Rehm

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 11:11:31 »

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 12:01:34 »
Thanks a lot Richard for your effort and posting your impressions. I'm interested in this lens or the 20mm f1.8 for shooting architecture. First impressions look very promising, another Z-winner!

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2020, 12:09:49 »
yes but its very expensive, easily $2700.00 :o :o :o

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 17:15:13 »
Thanks a lot Richard for your effort and posting your impressions. I'm interested in this lens or the 20mm f1.8 for shooting architecture. First impressions look very promising, another Z-winner!

I use the 14-30 for architecture and like it a lot. Seems to have less distortion at the wide end (or maybe the camera is correcting...)

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 17:48:28 »
Hello Jack, the 14-30mm is also interesting. How is corner sharpness at f5.6? I'm a bit worried about the reports on sample variation.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2020, 18:09:11 »
The 14-30 is pretty sharp across the frame, but has severe barrel distortion at the widest settings. That requires some in-camera or post-processing wizardry which might explain reports on sub-par corner performance. I for one find my sample performing well above average event at 14mm.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 08:48:20 »
https://richardhaw.com/2020/11/01/review-nikkor-z-14-24mm-f-2-8-s/

heres my impression of the 14-24 :o :o :o
Thank you for sharing your early findings on the new 14-24!I like the look of these new lenses for the Z cameras, industrial engineering meets optics - Well done Nikon!
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2020, 09:13:56 »
Thank you for sharing your early findings on the new 14-24!I like the look of these new lenses for the Z cameras, industrial engineering meets optics - Well done Nikon!

i thought so too :o :o :o

it looks like batmans lens ::)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2020, 19:30:00 »
Hello Jack, the 14-30mm is also interesting. How is corner sharpness at f5.6? I'm a bit worried about the reports on sample variation.

Luc, for architecture I usually keep it at f/8. The Z6 has plenty of light gathering to make this possible. But I'll take a look at shots with larger aperture when I have a chance.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2020, 19:50:01 »
Luc, for architecture I usually keep it at f/8. The Z6 has plenty of light gathering to make this possible. But I'll take a look at shots with larger aperture when I have a chance.
Thanks a lot Jack for the (additional) info. I should have mentioned I'm interested in it not only for architecture but also dimly lit interiors like churches etc. Today Nikon NL announced a discount for cameras and lenses, the 14-30mm has a € 200 discount. Great timing :D

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2020, 22:34:47 »
Getting native Z Micro-Nikkors would be a real boost to make Z the future preferred approach .... Certanly Nikon can do [much] better than the latest AFS 105 Micro?

When you said "latest" I had to check - turns out this was released in 2006 :(
All Nikon's macro work has been on shorter focal lengths since then and I'd even be happy with something a little longer than 105mm