Author Topic: Nikon APS-C Mirrorless Z50  (Read 17899 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Nikon APS-C Mirrorless Z50
« on: October 09, 2019, 08:21:45 »
Looks like Nikon APS-C Mirrorless Z50 is the next addition to the Z line.

I must admit that I'm not impressed by the looks of the lens and camera, but ok,,, as long as the images deliver  ;)
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Nikon APS-C Mirrorless Z50
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 08:24:50 »
From Nikon Rumors:

Nikon Z50 price: €900 in most European countries (around $980)
Nikon Z50 kit price with the new Nikkor Z 16-55mm (or 16-50mm) f/3.5-6.3 VR lens: €1,100 (around $1,200)
The Nikon Z50 will have a rear screen that can be tilted downwards for selfies but it will not work with selfie sticks
4k video
Maximum shutter speed: 1/4000
Erik Lund

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:07:43 »
Looks better here.

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/10/08/more-nikon-z50-leaks.aspx/#more-139150

At least it has a EVF, not just the screen on the back ;)

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 17:11:32 »
Maximum shutter speed: 1/4000

I hope there is a B(ulb) setting also, so one can get longer exposures than 1/4000…
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 17:44:24 »
 ;D

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 19:49:42 »

I must admit that I'm not impressed by the looks of the lens and camera, but ok,,, as long as the images deliver  ;)

Its ugly like the whole Z-Series and wont win a design price, but as you said as long as it enables good results and bring revenue to Nikon its OK
Wolfgang Rehm

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 21:51:47 »
I like the look of the Z series personally, best EVF hump of all the MILC IMO.  Z50 with the 16-50 looks very compact.  Being a prime lover, I would still like to see Z pancakes . . . but with how compact the 16-50 is . . . I can't say I see Nikon giving us pancakes anytime soon, it practically is a pancake when retracted.  I don't see anything to complain about for those looking for compact quality.  Looks at least as compact, if not more, as the MFT options.
-Tristin

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 22:00:17 »

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 22:16:54 »
These apertures?

As I would expect.  Very few people using a Z50/16-50 are going to use images for anything but social media, where ISO 51k can still look good.  The typical user of said combo would rather have a smaller package than an extra stop, which they likely don't know of anyhow.
-Tristin

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 22:59:04 »
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 23:08:29 »
Oh, no joystick?!

No surprise to me, this isn't the Mirrorless D500.  In fact, I am surprised it has custom function buttons.
-Tristin

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 23:17:33 »
No surprise to me, this isn't the Mirrorless D500.  In fact, I am surprised it has custom function buttons.

I think a joystick is essential for a camera with hundreds of AF points.  It is a big mistake for Canon to omit joysticks to EOS R/RP.

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 23:30:18 »
I think a joystick is essential for a camera with hundreds of AF points.

I doubt many people who will carry around a Z50/16-50 are interested in straying from fully automated AF.  Most likely don't know selecting AF point is even a possibility, D-pad AF selection would be more than adequate.

Nikon will end up delivering the "Z500", to which just about any DX user who cares about control will be flocking.  And it will have a joystick.
-Tristin

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 23:38:25 »
I doubt many people who will carry around a Z50/16-50 are interested in straying from fully automated AF.  Most likely don't know selecting AF point is even a possibility, D-pad AF selection would be more than adequate.

Nikon will end up delivering the "Z500", to which just about any DX user who cares about control will be flocking.  And it will have a joystick.

Well, maybe you are right, especially with the sophisticated eye detection AF and the potential users who are accustomed to operating smartphone cameras.  But then the design of Z50 should have been like the drawing leaked initially, not like the "professional looking" Z50.

Tristin

• NG Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 00:02:54 »
But then the design of Z50 should have been like the drawing leaked initially, not like the "professional looking" Z50.

Aesthetics are everything for that crowd.  When they decide they want a "nice camera" and look over the compact MILC options, they will only notice the aesthetics and MP.  Sensor characteristics (beyond MP), AF performance, ergonomics, etc. won't even enter their mind. Women will pick the cutest camera, men will pick the one that looks the most professional.  Overwhelming majority of people that buy ILC are men, so I think Nikon made a wise decision here.

Side note, I worked in the camera department at a consumer tech store in the early-mid 2000s and sold lots of cameras to this crowd.  The D70 outsold the Rebel when it came out purely because the Rebel was silver so it didn't look as professional.  The only women who bought a DSLR were the ones taking photography classes and they liked the Rebel more because of the silver, otherwise they picked a cute compact.  Keep in mind, the only requirement for this crowd, the men that is, is the professional appearance.  I'd bet money few Z50 owners will ever bother to assign the Function buttons.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Function button options are incredibly limited and are largely there to make an impression, as Nikon surely knows this.  Most will only ever touch the menu button by accident.  The perfect camera for this crowd is very small and light, looks very professional, 500MP sensor that downsamples to 3MP and only controls are on/off, shutter, play button and touchscreen for review/delete. 
-Tristin