Author Topic: Nikon APS-C Mirrorless Z50  (Read 17900 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nikon APS-C Mirrorless Z50
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 06:44:38 »
Officially announced as well.

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/mirrorless/z_50/

Hands-on preview by dpreview.com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xMpPDR2v1o
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

chambeshi

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 07:35:06 »
Officially announced as well.

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/mirrorless/z_50/

Hands-on preview by dpreview.com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xMpPDR2v1o

Thanks for posting. The marketing is pitching this at millenials, vloggers and travellers - All good IMHO to attract emerging photographers to life beyond cell phones ;-) ;-)

Lite, Chic, Tough etc https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-cameras/z-50.html?icid=img_en_us:homepage:slot:1:Z:z50:101019:z50wwa

Before the Utuber gesticulators and ranters, it is good to see Nikon UK has taken the initiative in presenting a mature overview of the Z50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JpawacwC1A&feature=youtu.be

Ricci teaches in the Nikon School

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 09:32:53 »
The Z50 actually looks cuter and less of an ugly duckling than its bigger brethren.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 13:35:33 »
Aesthetics are everything for that crowd.  When they decide they want a "nice camera" and look over the compact MILC options, they will only notice the aesthetics and MP.  Sensor characteristics (beyond MP), AF performance, ergonomics, etc. won't even enter their mind. Women will pick the cutest camera, men will pick the one that looks the most professional.  Overwhelming majority of people that buy ILC are men, so I think Nikon made a wise decision here.

Side note, I worked in the camera department at a consumer tech store in the early-mid 2000s and sold lots of cameras to this crowd.  The D70 outsold the Rebel when it came out purely because the Rebel was silver so it didn't look as professional.  The only women who bought a DSLR were the ones taking photography classes and they liked the Rebel more because of the silver, otherwise they picked a cute compact.  Keep in mind, the only requirement for this crowd, the men that is, is the professional appearance.  I'd bet money few Z50 owners will ever bother to assign the Function buttons.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Function button options are incredibly limited and are largely there to make an impression, as Nikon surely knows this.  Most will only ever touch the menu button by accident.  The perfect camera for this crowd is very small and light, looks very professional, 500MP sensor that downsamples to 3MP and only controls are on/off, shutter, play button and touchscreen for review/delete.

Tristin, I respect your experienced observation.  That said, though, the aesthetic depends on the individual, needless to say.  I hope that the crowd would recognize the design of Z6/7 as "professional" in the first place.  Apparently Sony's design concept for their A6X00 series is different...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 07:26:30 »
The Z50 actually looks cuter and less of an ugly duckling than its bigger brethren.

Cute indeed, seen from the front the main part of the body is not much bigger than the AW1:

http://j.mp/33n5quc
Øivind Tøien

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2019, 12:06:56 »
Nothing much of value or technical consideration to add to this discussion other then to concur with Birna's observation and add that the Z50 may well come to be regarded the "digital FG" by those familiar with the FE and FM legacy and the relative utility and/or limitations of each. (Admittedly I made a similar prediction at the Z6 release, calling it the "digital FE".) Personally, I enjoyed them all right up to the dawn of the ersatz digital age or about the time digital was a settled argument -- or I could actually afford a new camera, I forget which. Then, too, I was a "photographer" (or so I was accused) before I truly understood the how-and-why of physics and chemistry that made those images happen. For decades thereafter, my favorite emulsion was any film on sale or gifted me... [sigh!] But I digress.

Now my gut feeling, as that of near-everyone it would seem, is that the Z50 will be popular among so-called "creatives"; students and artistes here in New York -- especially those weary of shooting with phones and dealing with their inherit limitations. (Those pesky laws of physics, and all that.) I for one can see the Z50 coupling nicely with my lab microscope or tethered to my trashcan found telescope. I'm sure some enterprising young Asians are busying themselves designing and cobbling together all manner of aftermarket lens, pin-hole and beer bottle adapters to satisfy even the most jaded hipster. Offer something that can adapt a D-lens or some oily Russian glass from the '50s and watch out!

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2019, 19:06:10 »
The Z50 offers a more affordable price point for a Nikon mirrorless body, but it's lack of IBIS completely saps my interest, so it's other features, or lack of them, are irrelevant to me. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not in the market for a new body, but, that doesn't mean that I can't have an opinion.

As they say, YMMV.  :)
Carl

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2019, 20:13:58 »
The Z50 has much more appeal to me than expected.  Personally I like the design and the compact 16-50 is just right for size.  I think the wedding cake appearance is not going to appeal to everyone but I think it works well on this particular camera.  I was just reading that the 16-50 MFD is 20cm and that just adds to the overall appeal as a compact do-everything camera. 

Chip Chipowski

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2019, 20:19:04 »
Nice compact little hood for the 16-50 another selling point https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1511310-REG/nikon_4206_hn_40_lens_hood.html/qa

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2019, 21:30:06 »
Are you meaning to tell me the new Z50 doesn't  come with a newly designed 18-55 with a breakable lens mount?

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2019, 22:49:39 »
Are you meaning to tell me the new Z50 doesn't  come with a newly designed 18-55 with a breakable lens mount?

It comes with the 16-50 ..... with a breakable lens mount!

:D
Arthur

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2019, 22:57:46 »
I heard both new Z APS-C zoom lenses are plastic mounts, take care out there  ;) OK it is cute, the body, but it needs another lens IMHO  8)

Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2019, 23:43:58 »
I think the camera appears very functional and appealing. No need to put on the mundane DX lenses if alternatives exist. A "pancake" Nikkor in Z livery would suit it just fine.

Perhaps I should pre-order a Z50, just for fun.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2019, 23:53:41 »
Perhaps I should pre-order a Z50, just for fun.

Also perhaps, for completeness Birna, these are exciting times.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2019, 23:55:26 »
I still am awaiting a Z model that can deliver perfect results for UV/IR. Or software that can handle the issues with current models.