Author Topic: Nikkor-UD repair!  (Read 2119 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
Re: Nikkor-UD repair!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 19:17:15 »
https://richardhaw.com/2019/09/22/repair-nikkor-ud-20mm-f-3-5-auto/
 :o :o :o

That is a huge amount of work, kudos for the exhaustive photographic documentation. I have added the link to my bookmarks, just in case I have to disassemble my own sample (fortunately no need to do anything). Well, my sample is not AI converted, and from Roland's database there is no mention of an AI-conversion kit in the 4th lens batch (my serial is 476xxx), to convert it i will have to machine the aperture ring... unless Roland suggests that kits 19 or 20 are fine with my sample (btw, hard to find anywhere!)

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 11:18:01 »
The 4th batch uses AI kit 20. To avoid repetition, I only list the AI kit against the earliest batch, following batches should used the same kit unless another one is specified, or the lens is AI :)

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 11:45:34 »
The 4th batch uses AI kit 20. To avoid repetition, I only list the AI kit against the earliest batch, following batches should used the same kit unless another one is specified, or the lens is AI :)

Thanks, Roland. Will remember this convention for future lookups in your super database!

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 14:25:30 »

Thanks Rick! There is so much materiel in that lens wow,,, compared to the tiny 20mm f/3.5 Ais  :o ::)

Kit # 19 is available:
https://kamerastore.com/products/search-Conversion%20kit%2019/
Erik Lund

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 15:33:51 »
Kit # 19 is available:
https://kamerastore.com/products/search-Conversion%20kit%2019/

Thanks, Erik! Unfortunately as Roland says, I need AI kit #20...
But thanks to this thread I've pulled the UD-Nikkor out of a cabinet and started looking at it, and found out the following (tested on an old D300):
  • It's not necessary to machine out any metal, only the rabbit ears have to be turned 180°, or removed altogether (if you don't want to use it on a vintage Nikon F/F2)
  • Naturally, a small piece of metal will have to be screwed on or glued at the appropriate position for f/3.5 to act as an AI-coupling ridge

So AI conversion in this case is really easy!

Ciao from Massimo