Author Topic: D5 x Z6 - ISO 10000 comparison  (Read 9708 times)

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
D5 x Z6 - ISO 10000 comparison
« on: September 22, 2019, 01:06:43 »
The target here is to compare grain and sharpness.
Both cameras with Auto2 WB (keep warm lighting colors).
Aperture auto. Strangely Z6 chose 1/640 s and the D5 1/1000 s.
Z6 and 14-30mm f/4S @ f/4 and 14mm.
D5 and 14-24mm f/2.8G @ f/4 and 14mm.

Overall picture:
D5

Z6

100% Center:
D5

Z6

200% Corner:
D5

Z6

Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: D5 x Z6 - ISO 10000 comparison
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 06:38:42 »
I see the color noise in the corners of the Z6, but not in the D5. Does this mean that the 14-30 has more illumination falloff in the periphery of the image than the 14-24, and therefore needs more exposure lift in that zone?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 08:54:23 »

What is your opinion, Aguinaldo?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 11:35:41 »
I see the color noise in the corners of the Z6, but not in the D5. Does this mean that the 14-30 has more illumination falloff in the periphery of the image than the 14-24, and therefore needs more exposure lift in that zone?
Don't know how to answer that. It needs a specific test to confirm it.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 11:42:08 »
What is your opinion, Aguinaldo?

I'll do more tests to confirm it, but my move to mirrorless is more probable now.
The Z6 images are "cleaner", although for the B&W, that I prefer, the "grain" of the D5 is nice.
I'll do some more tests, next time outdoors. I have to see shadow performance in low and high ISO.
Any ideas?
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 17:11:25 »
try the theatre indoors go to a rehearsal. I found the D5 was great between 36k and 102k ISO ... I guess the Z6 might be better even. But: Will she AF in light like that?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 19:57:46 »
I agree that the Z6 images look cleaner here, but the rendering is not equal,eg: one is darker/noisier than the other.
The difference of the appearance of noise between the two makes me wonder if each sensor was getting a comparable, "full" exposure.  I'd manually fix the ISO and other exposure parameters, and match the histograms in a new test. 20 vs. 24 MP shouldn't make a big difference, right?

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 20:07:43 »
Interesting comparison. I think Keith is right and parameters should be as close as possible to make a fair comparison if you can.
Thanks for sharing this

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 07:48:56 »
The identical lens should be used on each camera, otherwise any conclusion is void. Implying one should select the 14-24/2.8 for D5 and Z6.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 09:29:35 »
Yes same lens and same settings also for exposure - shutter speed etc ;)
Then of course you add a comparison of the two different lenses to evaluate them side by side, Z and FX
Erik Lund

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 14:20:22 »
... otherwise any conclusion is void.

I'm sorry to hear that and I disagree.
I just would like to say that this small and non scientific comparison is to share some material for comparison, taking in account the different gears/parameters.
It is not perfect but you can see the actual results taken from a regular photographer. I can't find such kind of tests very often (in fact I don't see them) and I want to decide if I move to mirrorless or not.
As I said in another previous, and again incomplete, of my tests (I thought I read somewhere they where welcome in this website), one can choose to see the glass half full or half empty. Some information you can get from it, and it is helping me to make a decision.
Of course I'll continue to perform such comparisons since I love to know about my photographic possibilities provided by my always changing gear collection. But to publish them is another story.

Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 15:55:40 »
It is not perfect but you can see the actual results taken from a regular photographer. I can't find such kind of tests very often (in fact I don't see them) and I want to decide if I move to mirrorless or not.
As I said in another previous, and again incomplete, of my tests (I thought I read somewhere they where welcome in this website), one can choose to see the glass half full or half empty. Some information you can get from it, and it is helping me to make a decision.

Should have been stated as an end goal.
That is to say, instead of just the D5 x Z6 ISO10000 in the title, at the least in your opening remarks, you should have said that you want to compare each system as a whole .. rather than just the specification of ISO10000 as the test.

Interesting to see, and all tests and comments and thought always a welcome relief to peruse.
It's probably unlikely that the results would have been that much different, but has to be agreed that as the thread title was set, the results would be void.

IIRC the Z6 uses the D750 sensor(24Mp) .. would be interesting to see how they fare by way of comparison.
On a side note, would also be interesting to see the results with the 14-24 lens on the Z6 too.
Arthur

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 00:21:17 »

Of course I'll continue to perform such comparisons since I love to know about my photographic possibilities provided by my always changing gear collection. But to publish them is another story.
I appreciate that you put up your comparison shots and will look at any thing you would care to publish here. If I criticize or offer suggestions of improvements to the comparison, it is because I want you to get the greatest possible amount of useful information from your testing/comparison efforts. 

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 03:28:33 »
I appreciate that you put up your comparison shots and will look at any thing you would care to publish here. If I criticize or offer suggestions of improvements to the comparison, it is because I want you to get the greatest possible amount of useful information from your testing/comparison efforts.

Thank you for that Keith, a constructive critique is always appreciated.
It happens that I'm a photographer, not a scientist, and prefer to stay like that. lol
I just would like people to see the tests I used to publish here as somewhat useful information, as scarce as it may be.
Anyway, I have lots of equipment and spent some hours doing it, and shared it in good will.
From now on I decided to publish only my photographs.
I'd like to see good comparative tests here.
BTW, I'll continue to compare the Z6 and the D5. I think mirrorless are my future cameras. I liked what I saw in this test.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 07:53:07 »
Aguinaldo, I hope you don't halt sharing your tests.  Others are just pointing out that the test shared here isn't effective.

You said you were testing grain and sharpness.  Comparing grain would require the same exposure settings, different lenses are fine.  Comparing sharpness would require the same lens and aperture, same exposure settings is ideal but not critical.  You had both different lenses and exposures, so while you can certainly draw insights on either, comparisons will require extrapolation of insights, which is precisely what one doesn't want to have to do with test results.

That being said, D5 and Z6 is quite the pair of bodies, must be a true joy!
-Tristin