Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 2874 times)

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
Windows 10
« on: July 27, 2015, 18:32:30 »

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 15:41:56 »
Nice one.

Speaking of the Microsoft version, I hear you should probably wait a bit before upgrading...
Jørgen Ramskov

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 15:47:34 »
Waiting is for cowards. Backing up and diving in is all the fun.

Fast Pro SSD of 128GB for systems is 80 Euros...

btw funny pic. Incomprehensibly title
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 17:11:50 »
Link in the OP is dead, use this one:
https://ronscubadiver.wordpress.com/2015/07/29/seattle-iii/

I am probably going to wait at least a month before trying windows 10 on a production machine.  My experience with it from the Insider program is generally good.  Testers running minimal hardware report noticeable speed gains.  Users should expect many "valuable offers" tied to using Windows 10.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 12:36:24 »
I did it.

My notebook is now "Win10/x64 Home".

Update did run through flawlesly. Did not expect anything else. Online there was a huge Echo of "WOW everything is fine" while I expected 1000x echo of flaws over flaws. Microsoft seems to finally have got their act together. Maybe its the genius of my brother and that they got rid of a lot of people standing in the way of the working crowds ***ROTFL***
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 13:50:41 »
great capture Ron.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 22:55:26 »
Thank you Elsa.  I did an upgrade install of Win 10 over Win 7 x64 yesterday.  It worked quite well in spite of some unusual security oriented settings on my machine.  There was a minor issue with Nvidia video drivers.  I recommend removing all third party drivers not required to either boot the system or connect to the internet prior to the upgrade because Microsoft will be supplying new drivers for most devices.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 08:54:11 »
I upgraded an old Thinkpad and I experienced no issues. I wanted a clean sheet so proceeded with the built in reset feature. That didn't work and left me with a machine that wouldn't boot and I had to create a bootable USB key and reinstall. Besides that my first impression is good.
Jørgen Ramskov

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 09:11:47 »
I upgraded an old Thinkpad and I experienced no issues. I wanted a clean sheet so proceeded with the built in reset feature. That didn't work and left me with a machine that wouldn't boot and I had to create a bootable USB key and reinstall. Besides that my first impression is good.

The update / upgrade (the people from Seattle use both expressions) seems to clean up the system.

My Asus K52JV runs faster and cleaner after the upgrade from 7/x64. I guess there are no native drivers for all hardware
so the upgrade uses older signed WDM (WHQL) drivers that happen to reside on the system.

I did not try to install the ISO via a prepared USB stick.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 12:25:17 »
currently backing up everything on my production machine for a dive into Windows 10. I hope my calibration tools will still work. It was a real headache to get "Gretag MacBeth iMatch 3" to run on Win8.1. I hope Win10 will accept the driver for the Colorimeter i1Display2!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 13:12:10 »
When I return from 'Paradise island' in a day or two, I have a Win7/64 test machine ready for a Win 'upgrade'. Contingent upon it being able to run Win10 (specifications say so), I will study how all my software behave, handling of legacy devices, aspects of network connectivity, interoperability with Linux, speed performance, etc. etc. before even contemplating going to Win 10 everywhere. I'm in no hurry at all. The new OS has to show some significant improvements before I am tempted.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 13:24:08 »
Well, the significant improvement came with Windows 8 : much better user interface (a fundamental redesign), perfect recovery tools. It kept the desktop and start menu to please some, and resulted in being "neither fish nor fowl". IMHO Windows 10 is a step backwards, owing to blind conservatism. I am nevertheless installing it, just curious...

But I much prefer Ron's humorous vision of it.
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 13:33:08 »
"Significant improvements in user interface with Windows 8" - we are on different planets obviously ....

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 13:44:25 »
No, they just should have gone one step further, rather than staying in the middle of the creek. And yes, I prefer the Df user interface.
Airy Magnien

Jan-Petter Midtgård

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 13:47:07 »
I have installed Windows 10 Enterprise on three computers. Two stationary and one ASUS Laptop.

No problems with Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC.
No problems with drivers for Canon Pixma Pro-10, i1Display Pro or anything else I have connected.

Avast Free Antivirus works, Avast Endpoint Protection Suite does not.
AMD Graphics adapters fails to wake up after hibernation. This have been a problem on older versions of Windows too, and the solution is to turn off hibernation.

I have used Windows 8.1 on the ASUS Laptop and never liked it. I think Windows 10 is the best Windows version ever, and I have been a Windows user since 3.0.