Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 2833 times)

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 14:02:34 »
With Win 10 they have sort of taken a step back in regards to the UI.

As I don't think this is the right thread to discuss the OS, I have created a dedicated thread in hopefully the right place on the forum: http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=985.0
Jørgen Ramskov

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 14:04:37 »
I'm using Symantec Corporate Endpoint Protection and Symantec has long ago announced support of windows 10. No worries there.

More concerned about printer drivers etc. We'll see in due time.

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 15:31:53 »
The problem with Win 8.x is it's a touch or tablet OS.  The mouse and keyboard model was ignored.  One thing you have to watch with Win 10 is it talks to the mothership a lot.  Lots of this stuff can be turned off by not using express settings in setup.  There are numerous tutorials on how to turn off monitoring, although most seem like complete overkill.   Search has settings allowing users to turn off internet searches from the search box.  That makes searches less annoying and more private.

If you just don't like Win 10, Microsoft will be supporting Win 7 through April of 2020.  It is currently the dominant desktop/laptop OS with over a 60% market share.  XP is fading fast and is down to 11%.  New Win 7 installations are a bit of a headache due to the huge number of updates required and spotty native driver support for recent hardware.

The printer drivers for my crappy Canon inkjet migrated without any problem.  Win 10 uses the same driver model as Win 7, but this isn't a perfect world.