Author Topic: Scotland?  (Read 35842 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Scotland?
« Reply #165 on: September 02, 2015, 11:45:09 »
Payment sent.
I will probably leave home on Friday night and camp one night to get the  morning light for shooting early on Saturday.
The aim is to camp on Loch Lomond,  any suggestions on locations from the locals?
I am very willing to share my car but remember that I'll be around just a few days.
Simone Tomasi

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #166 on: September 02, 2015, 12:24:58 »
Payment sent.
I will probably leave home on Friday night and camp one night to get the  morning light for shooting early on Saturday.
The aim is to camp on Loch Lomond,  any suggestions on locations from the locals?
I am very willing to share my car but remember that I'll be around just a few days.

Simone - the best location for early-morning shooting is "the head of the loch" and camping is permitted there, by permission. I will get permission for you. The simplest way to tell you where to go would be - pm me with your postal address and I will send you a copy of our excellent local map, published by the national park authority.

I've just re-read your email - do you mean Loch Lomond or did you intend to say Loch Tay? I was referring above to Loch Tay. Loch Lomond-side is extremely poor in possible tent sites, and you would inevitably be very close to the road, which is busy 24/7. There might be some local bias here, but I were you I'd make for Loch Tay. From my suggested location you are looking straight along the loch towards the dawn sky, with only wildfowl and the occasional otter or beaver for company, and traffic is far away.

Dammit, it sounds do good I might go down there tomorrow morning!   ;D

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2015, 12:34:29 »
Everyone on the list has now paid their share of the deposit and booked their place in *KILLIN 2016*. At the moment the number stands at 17 participants. We could go as high as 22 but I suggest that perhaps 20 would be more comfortable for everyone (thinking about sleeping arrangements).

Two or three others have expressed strong interest but are unable to commit at the moment. I will keep a list of those names, in the order of their posts expressing interest - in other words, first come first served.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2015, 13:13:12 »
I think we should refrain from multiple people in a bunkbed, these are made for kids and are usually in the smaller rooms.

This way one sleeps on the bottom bed and have the gear on the top bed.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2015, 13:48:04 »
I think we should refrain from multiple people in a bunkbed, these are made for kids and are usually in the smaller rooms.
This way one sleeps on the bottom bed and have the gear on the top bed.

JA - I think there are only two bunks - one up, one down - in the bunkbed rooms, and we might need to have them both occupied. I haven't been able to actually inspect the rooms yet because this is peak holiday season and all the lodges are in use. As soon as they can let me inside a lodge I will report back on exactly what the situation is. They have assured me that the bunks are adult-size, not intended just for kids.

I think some of us in Lofoten were in bunks - I certainly was - and it was absolutely ok, though to be fair, I was alone in the room.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2015, 20:03:52 »
Simone - the best location for early-morning shooting is "the head of the loch" and camping is permitted there, by permission. I will get permission for you. The simplest way to tell you where to go would be - pm me with your postal address and I will send you a copy of our excellent local map, published by the national park authority.

I've just re-read your email - do you mean Loch Lomond or did you intend to say Loch Tay? I was referring above to Loch Tay. Loch Lomond-side is extremely poor in possible tent sites, and you would inevitably be very close to the road, which is busy 24/7. There might be some local bias here, but I were you I'd make for Loch Tay. From my suggested location you are looking straight along the loch towards the dawn sky, with only wildfowl and the occasional otter or beaver for company, and traffic is far away.

Dammit, it sounds do good I might go down there tomorrow morning!   ;D

Yes I did mean Lake Lomond, based on its fame and that it less distant from home. If I left home at 6PM I could camp at 11PM. Loch Tay is a bit beyond and I could get there a little too late, especially if I am planning to get up before sunrise the day after.
However what you say about Loch Tay is very interesting too. Maybe I can speed a little on the motorway...
I'll send you a PM regarding the map, thanks. Also location tips are useful and I trust you are the expert here.
Simone Tomasi

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2015, 21:46:22 »

Bez, a room with a double bed, means you will be sleeping with someone in the same bed :)

Your other options are:
a room with just one single bed, or
a room with two single beds, and
a room with two bunk beds.

at least that is how I understood it...

I think I should also come along - and I definitely want a double bed!

please put my name on the list - I also cant commit right now but will give it serious consideration
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2015, 22:10:03 »
I would like to visit Scotland also. Sign me up :)
Petter

Petter - I'm sorry, for some unknown reason you didn't get added to *the list* but there are still places available so if you still want to come I will add your name.

Of course this means you will have to stump up £15 as deposit.   8) ;D  Let me know what you want to do.
Sorry again,
Dave

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2015, 22:25:09 »
I have a list of those who are still interested but not yet committed. They are:

1) Jørgen
2) Elsa
3) Danulon
4) Simsurace

There is also Petteram who originally said he was definite but his name didn't get put on the list. As things stand, we could take all five, and that would take us up to our max. possible of 22, if there are no drop-outs.

petteram

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2015, 19:51:21 »
My family wants me to go to Sweden that week to celebrate my aunt and her 75th birthday so I have to pass this one.
I was really looking forward to meet you guys again, but it has to be some other time:-)

Petter

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2015, 21:11:35 »
My family wants me to go to Sweden that week to celebrate my aunt and her 75th birthday so I have to pass this one.
I was really looking forward to meet you guys again, but it has to be some other time:-)

Petter - shame you can't make it next spring, but for sure there will be other opportunities.

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2015, 09:33:36 »
I have a list of those who are still interested but not yet committed. They are:

1) Jørgen
2) Elsa
3) Danulon
4) Simsurace

There is also Petteram who originally said he was definite but his name didn't get put on the list. As things stand, we could take all five, and that would take us up to our max. possible of 22, if there are no drop-outs.

I am definitely in for it!
Sorry for my late reply - I didn't check this thread for a while.

I'll read the remainder of this thread in the evening - especially which room choices (if any?) are still available.
Will transfer my part of the deposit in the evening, too.

Cheers,
Günther
Guenther Something

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2015, 10:45:18 »
I am definitely in for it!
Sorry for my late reply - I didn't check this thread for a while.
I'll read the remainder of this thread in the evening - especially which room choices (if any?) are still available.
Will transfer my part of the deposit in the evening, too.

I'll add your name to my "committed" list - welcome aboard. As you will see when you read the rest of the thread, there  are no bed/room decisions made yet, except that couples should be given the rooms with double beds. All else will be for negotiation on the day of arrival.

The list now stands at 18 members - 17 in the lodges plus myself.

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2015, 13:31:21 »
1. Bjørn R.
2. Jan Anne
3. Erik Lund
4. Jakov Minic
5. Sten R.
6. Frank
7. Simone
8. Anthony
9. Dave
10. Rosko
11. Ulli
12. Martin
13. Chris Dees
14. Susanne Fichtler
15. Bez
16. Andrea
17. Thomas

Two more names for the "committed" list -

18. Danulon
19. Mikes

That's 18 staying in the lodges, plus me. As we have a total of 18 beds, the list is pretty well full and we can only take more as long as couples (or friends?) share the 3 double beds.

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2015, 13:52:09 »
GBP15.00 sent. Please let me know if there were any fees associated with the transaction - I will reimburse.

I will hire a car whilst I am in Scotland, and I don't mind sharing a room (but not a bed!).

Mike.

Mike Selby - Sydney