Author Topic: Scotland?  (Read 35214 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Scotland?
« on: July 27, 2015, 14:20:47 »
A year or two ago there was some discussion of Scotland as a possible venue for an NG get-together - I'd like to raise this possibility again and would be happy to act as the local "host", especially if we had our base somewhere in my home region where there is a wealth of great landscapes and "unspoilt" nature.

The only problem would be accommodation. There is nothing in Scotland as convenient as the "rorbu" we used in Lofoten, but even in Killin itself there are numerous b&bs, hotels, guest-houses and hostels; we might not get everyone under the same roof, though.

Edinburgh and Glasgow airports are both about 1.5 hours' drive away; the nearest rail-head is Stirling (60km), and long-distance bus services from all three cities pass the end of the short approach-road to Killin itself; I would collect anyone arriving that way.

Maybe something to think about for 2016; spring and autumn are probably the best options.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 14:49:54 »
Good suggestion Dave, Scotland is a great place to travel and very photogenic.

The admin crew is bit busy at the moment with work and such but we should start organising a NG event shortly.

Maybe its a good idea to do a poll with so many location ideas flying around to see where the community would like to go to.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 15:01:17 »
I've been two times to Scotland and I would gladly come a 3rd time!
I like it all; the scenery, the people, the food and the drinks. ;D
Chris Dees

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 15:04:17 »
I have added a poll so we can get an idea of number of people interested.

I take it for granted that accommodation will be local and adequate, nothing luxurious. This isn't planned as a formal workshop, just another great coming-together.

smusesuse

• NG Member
  • The Hague, Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 15:14:04 »
Ha, Killin! I've worked a summer job at a tourist place with stables and highland lodges for a few months in 2002, not far from Killin. I absolutely fell in love with the area.
Suse

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 15:40:26 »
I'd be interested, i voted for spring, but i'd also be interested in autumn. The option for both doesn't exist, perhaps an idea to add one.

I'd need to negotiate "the domestic area" a bit though. Since my kids have their birthday in either season, the exact dates would be important for me.

Hans Cremers

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 15:56:32 »
I added the possibility of voting for either season in the poll.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 17:51:28 »
Dave, I hope that the midges are not around at the times suggested.
Anthony Macaulay

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 18:18:30 »
Dave, I hope that the midges are not around at the times suggested.

No - the suggested months are chosen partly to minimise the midge problem which begins in mid-June and has mostly gone by mid-September. As long as we avoid July and August I don't think we would be greatly bothered. The high-summer months also tend to have the most rain, once that south-west monsoon settles in.

They are at their worst right now - I was out picking raspberries in the garden and had to flee indoors; they were horrendous.

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 19:36:43 »
Thanks, Dave, I hope you manage to pick some raspberries (Scottish are the best!).    I am definitely interested in a spring or autumn get together.
Anthony Macaulay

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 22:17:52 »
Interested = Yes; Likelihood for me = Low  (due to other commitments and plans for the year)

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 23:23:18 »
I've done just the bare minimum of internet searching into suitable accommodation in or near Killin. There is a holiday park with 9 self-catering lodges, four of which sleep up to 8 people. These are fully-equipped holiday homes - no roughing it here - there is a bar and restaurant, riding stables, boat hire, etc, etc. Highland Lodges is a few km from Killin along the north side of LochTay.

If this Scottish idea were to go ahead and we could book accommodation well in advance, 6 people sharing a lodge for a week would pay only about £60 each.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 23:39:30 »
This sounds great, Dave. We probably would have to plan for shared rental cars as well. After driving a few weeks in Ireland, I'm not as firmly set against cars wrongly positioned on the road as before ... But still would be better if they'd done it right of course :D

Oh well. What time(s) would be best for spring and autumn, respectively?

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 00:08:07 »
Bjørn -

Scottish weather is extremely unpredictable at any time of year - even the meteorological service admit this - but if I really had to choose, I would go for late May or late September. But the weather is such that we could get a week of bad weather, or a week of sunshine, or anything in between, at any time of year. In March and April this year we had many warm sunny days; we also had snow on the ground several times. May, June and July have been almost total washouts but, statistically, May and September give us a good chance.

But I suppose what I'm saying is, if it goes ahead, I'll be responsible for all the necessary arrangements but I won't be responsible for the weather!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 00:20:44 »
I am very probably in. One week?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/