Author Topic: Possible emulation of CRT Nikkor?  (Read 33383 times)

dickb

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Possible emulation of CRT Nikkor?
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2019, 16:03:26 »
I have a different version of this type of lens. It is a JML OPTICAL 56MM F/1.2 lens with an electronic shutter that I have wide open. It has an extension that attaches with three Allen wrenches that is labelled "RAFCAMERA 065 - M42x1. I have not done much with it yet..

From what I have seen of these (not firsthand though) the JML 56/1.2 in electronic shutter and the JML 56/1.2 ESDS 109 in M39 appear to be not the same lens design. Can you tell the difference between the Nikkor-O and your JML, with regards to front and rear lens size and curvature, and perhaps distance between the front and rear element? On the Nikkor-O and the FJW these are nearly identical, with the Nikkor having a marginally longer barrel but more recessed elements, making the distance between front and rear element for both about 50mm.

BTW, nice for you that it came with a matching adapter from Rafael / RafCamera. Perhaps in your lens collection there are other lenses with a 65mm diameter you can adapt with it. Quick testing here shows that the Rodagon Heligon 100/1.6 has part of its barrel in 65mm diameter, as does the Qioptiq XR Heligon 100/1.5 you once got from me. The latter only if you can remove its 80mm diameter heavy aluminium outer barrel though (this is attached with a 72mm thread that is fixed with some sort of loctite, so it is a bit of a challenge).

dickb

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2019, 16:11:30 »
I did see a Kowa 55/1.2 lens at a second-hand shop called Lemon-Sha in Ginza, Tokyo.  Unfortunately, it was a bit too expensive to grab it.  If my memory serves, it looked rather similar to the Nikkor-O than the one on the left in the image Klaus posted.

Interesting. I was only familiar with the Kowa 55mm in f/1.0 and f/1.1 version, both of which appeared to be designed for tandem use. Nice, more lenses to hunt down (not that I need more lenses actually).

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2019, 17:10:41 »
I have a different version of this type of lens. It is a JML OPTICAL 56MM F/1.2 lens with an electronic shutter that I have wide open. It has an extension that attaches with three Allen wrenches that is labelled "RAFCAMERA 065 - M42x1. I have not done much with it yet..

Two example shots for the JML 56mm f/1.2
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

dickb

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2019, 17:56:51 »
Btw. the "father" of that lens most likely was this one (which was used for Los Alamos experiments then...). Note the very unusual thread mount..

Unusual for a Nikkor-S, or is the thread different from the Leica Thread Mount we see on the Nikkor-O?

dickb

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2019, 22:19:10 »
The FJW 54/1.2 is indeed very similar to the Nikkor-O  55/1.2, both are a lot of fun used handheld on my Sony A7. Here is one wide open

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2019, 10:37:30 »
Another shot with Nikkor-O.  I realized I had never stopped down the lens to f8.0, but Michael's image posted to another thread inspired me to try.

A lily about to bloom.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2019, 08:13:37 »
very nice also at f8 Akira!
formerly known as kds315

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2019, 08:40:40 »
very nice also at f8 Akira!

Thank you again, Klaus!

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2019, 12:07:58 »
Very interesting find Akira!

You might know that there are at least other emanations of this same lens made by different manufaturers? I was happy to find them years ago... (pic (c) Wiki Commons)
There's about 3 Chinese copies of the lens at weird FLs such as 54 and 56 too, with presumably the same output.
Some old Chinese lenses are really good, there's copies of the UMN series with IQ that's indistinguishable to my eyes. Those are hard to come by though.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2019, 14:02:25 »
There's about 3 Chinese copies of the lens at weird FLs such as 54 and 56 too, with presumably the same output.
Some old Chinese lenses are really good, there's copies of the UMN series with IQ that's indistinguishable to my eyes. Those are hard to come by though.

Interesting!! Would you please post pictures of those mentioned Chinese copies?
formerly known as kds315

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2019, 16:03:56 »
Interesting!! Would you please post pictures of those mentioned Chinese copies?
Sure thing if I ever come across any. I never saved those listings and they are now all gone.
Some are displayed here: http://forum.mflenses.com/show-off-your-rare-lens-t75018,start,325.html
I'm sure you've seen them since I saw some of your posts  ;)
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2019, 17:04:46 »
Sure thing if I ever come across any. I never saved those listings and they are now all gone.
Some are displayed here: http://forum.mflenses.com/show-off-your-rare-lens-t75018,start,325.html
I'm sure you've seen them since I saw some of your posts  ;)

yes, those I know  ;)
formerly known as kds315

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2019, 10:13:31 »
I hope this isn't a silly question, is the Nikkor 'S' 50mm f/1.4 pre ai, optically the same as the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 ai/ais?  And what about the D, although being AF, I guess that's completely different...

I have a choice of both the 'S' pre ai and the later ais, the early lens is much cheaper than the the later one... both are in very good condition.  I already have a Nikkor 'D' 50mm f/1.4 AF.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2019, 10:32:34 »
Hi Robert,

If you look at Roland’s web site, http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html, different versions of the same lens are separated by grey lines. Large if the change is significant, small with minor changes.

The versions you mention are different.
Bruno Schröder

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2019, 10:34:51 »
I hope this isn't a silly question, is the Nikkor 'S' 50mm f/1.4 pre ai, optically the same as the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 ai/ais?  And what about the D, although being AF, I guess that's completely different...

I have a choice of both the 'S' pre ai and the later ais, the early lens is much cheaper than the the later one... both are in very good condition.  I already have a Nikkor 'D' 50mm f/1.4 AF.

So far as I'm aware, the optical formula (7 elements in 5 groups) of Nikkor S 50/1.4 remained the same until the "K" version.  The newer formula (7elements in 6 groups) remained the same from Ai to AF-D.  However, the glass material could have been changed over time, and the radius of the spherical surfaces could have been re-adjusted accordingly.

The current AF-S G employs yet another formula (8 elements in 7 groups).