Author Topic: Nikkor Z 50mm f1.8 S  (Read 19251 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikkor Z 50mm f1.8 S
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2020, 20:14:20 »
VR ON and a slow shutter speed with a hand-held camera can introduce such minor errors.

Otherwise, congratulations with a fine-performing new Z Nikkor !

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2020, 22:39:41 »
No errors here other than handheld, wind, etc... You will not be disappointed. Enjoy!

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2020, 23:48:46 »
It was actually on a tripod, but the VR was engaged, so I will try again without VR.
Otherwise it is promising.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2020, 09:17:00 »
Congratulations!

AF on the Z is very different to AF that we are used too with DSLR - It's an entirely other system with it's own build in artificial intelligence and lack there off.

Couple that with a lens with very thin depth of focus and you will be challenged.

I have seen that the Z7 is failing in guessing where I would like to have the image sharp within the focus square so not surprised.
Marketing has been steadily informing us that mirrorless is the best focus system so,,,  :o ;D
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2020, 10:30:21 »
Congratulations!

AF on the Z is very different to AF that we are used too with DSLR - It's an entirely other system with it's own build in artificial intelligence and lack there off.

Couple that with a lens with very thin depth of focus and you will be challenged.

I have seen that the Z7 is failing in guessing where I would like to have the image sharp within the focus square so not surprised.
Marketing has been steadily informing us that mirrorless is the best focus system so,,,  :o ;D

is this only exlusive to Z lenses :o :o :o

how about F lenses?

can you please explain more about what you experienced? I was contemplating on buying a Z lens ::)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2020, 11:31:00 »
Well I'm no expert on these AF systems and a lot of people with great knowledge about these technologies and have written many interesting things so,,,

My take is that, there should be very little difference if you use a F-Mount lens with the FTZ adapter or an native Z-mount lens on a Z camera, the difference will be in the in camera algorithms that control the SWM of the F-mount lens compared to the linear motor or motors of the Z lens.
The Z cameras use on-sensor phase-detect pixels that don't know if the light comes through one or the other mount type except what it is told by the camera firmware.

The better optically the light is corrected fo CA etc. the better on-sensor phase-detect pixels works.
There is this that the FTZ stops down the lens that interfere.
So my take; A native Nikkor Z lens will perform the best compared to a F-mount or third party lens all else equal.

The Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.8 S is outstanding in all aspects except the occasional AF target fail now and then. That I have never seen similar on any AF DSLR or SLR since the F4

That said, so far I have been extremely happy using the Nikkor F 28mm AF-S f/1.4 E on the Z7
Erik Lund

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2020, 11:46:10 »
I did turn of VR and tried again. The result is the same. It may only be when taking close up images, as taking a picture of my brick wall did not show any problems. I did also take a picture of the wall but focused on a thing standing in front of the wall, and the thing was in focus and the wall ever so slightly out of focus.
The Z system does some focus just before taking the picture at f5.6 or something even if you want to use f1.8, maybe that is part of the problem when doing close ups?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2020, 11:56:27 »
My GAS made me buying the 50mm at the new lower price, not low price ;)
My first test was done at f1.8.
At longer than closest distance focus seems ok, but at the closest distance I get the focus a few millimeters farther away from the camera.
Have any of you experienced this?
The picture is also in the November thread-
I did not look closer at your image, but it looks like the camera chose to focus on the sharp edges of the green leaf instead of the soft rosy bud. My guess.

If so this corresponds to what I think is going on; Z camera like sharp contours for focus, so it chooses by itself to slightly go out of the AF square to find something it knows it will nail focus on instead of being unsure and maybe miss AF on something soft,,,
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2020, 12:02:40 »
more reasons to keep the F for me :o :o :o

i only use manual lenses on my Z ::)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2020, 12:28:19 »
I found this on https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-z-50mm-f1-8s-review/2/.
“The test also revealed that there is no focus shift to speak of at distances of 2m and farther away although the background sharpens up faster than the foreground when the lens is stopped down. At magnifications larger than 1:10 the lens shows clear focus shift between f1.8 and f5.6 but that is avoided by the camera focusing while stopped down to shooting aperture.”
It does only partly correspond to my findings. I see a very sharp image in the view finder, but the result has focus shift at f1.8 and close up.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2020, 12:32:19 »
I found this on https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-z-50mm-f1-8s-review/2/.
“The test also revealed that there is no focus shift to speak of at distances of 2m and farther away although the background sharpens up faster than the foreground when the lens is stopped down. At magnifications larger than 1:10 the lens shows clear focus shift between f1.8 and f5.6 but that is avoided by the camera focusing while stopped down to shooting aperture.”
It does only partly correspond to my findings. I see a very sharp image in the view finder, but the result has focus shift at f1.8 and close up.

yikes :o :o :o

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2020, 12:38:44 »
These two issues must be unrelated since the Z camera focus at the set aperture with a Z lens.

Are you in AF -C or S? Back focus button or shutter button?
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2020, 12:50:21 »
On the DSLR's the AF speed is by design turned down for the f/1.4 lenses, Nikon claim that it is to secure the best possible focus is archived given the slim depth of focus,,,
On Z's the lenses are f/1.8,,, the f/0.95 is manual focus,,, As mentioned the z 50mm f/1.8 is quite fast in achieving focus,,, maybe too fast,,, 
I have no shooting experience with the latest Z 50mm f/1.2 re AF speed and precision could be very interesting to know!
Erik Lund

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2020, 13:30:30 »
Did a test on a focus test target.
The focus is spot on, so Eriks explanation about the intelligence of the Z cameras are right ;)
On this flat surface the problem is eliminated.
The image is taken at minimum focus distance.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2020, 14:18:11 »
On the DSLR's the AF speed is by design turned down for the f/1.4 lenses, Nikon claim that it is to secure the best possible focus is archived given the slim depth of focus,,,
On Z's the lenses are f/1.8,,, the f/0.95 is manual focus,,, As mentioned the z 50mm f/1.8 is quite fast in achieving focus,,, maybe too fast,,, 
I have no shooting experience with the latest Z 50mm f/1.2 re AF speed and precision could be very interesting to know!

the 50/1.2 is fast, much faster than the old canon one :o :o :o

accuracy is another thing