Author Topic: Adobe practically raises price for CC photograpy plan  (Read 16872 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Re: Adobe practically raises price for CC photograpy plan
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2019, 00:15:11 »
Has anybody tried NeoFinder?

Yes, it is an excellent cataloguing program, very fast.  Mac only.  Does not have editing capability.  I think there is a free trial available.  The owner is responsive to queries and suggestions.
Anthony Macaulay

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Carl

ianwatson

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 18:33:09 »
Thank you, Anthony. That is the cataloguing side of things sorted. Now to settle on a new RAW developer.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 22:12:28 »
I love Faststone. Thé best to my view. And it can do a lot more than fast viewing.

I’ll second this vote for FastStone. I’ve used it and loved it for years (I’m Windows-only, no Macs here)

I’ve recently been trying View NX, in the hope the ability to rate images would help my workflow.
But it’s so slow & clunky compared to FastStone (at least running side by side on the same machine), I can’t see me continuing.

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 23:03:30 »
I’ll second this vote for FastStone. I’ve used it and loved it for years (I’m Windows-only, no Macs here)

I’ve recently been trying View NX, in the hope the ability to rate images would help my workflow.
But it’s so slow & clunky compared to FastStone (at least running side by side on the same machine), I can’t see me continuing.

Colin, If you want speed try Photomechanic as Olivier has suggested. it is fast and great for exif editing and key wording.
Bez

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 00:57:51 »
The link that I posted above from Thom Hogan's website explains what Adobe is up to, which is on the sneaky side. My costs did not increase, it's still $9.99 monthly for my CC Lr Classic & Ps apps. So check your Adobe account to verify the cost before you leave because you think your costs is doubling. Of course, some folks prefer alternate software, and others prefer anything as long as it isn't from Adobe.
Carl

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 07:32:00 »
Colin, If you want speed try Photomechanic as Olivier has suggested. it is fast and great for exif editing and key wording.
There is another difference between FastStone and Photo Mechanic.  FastStone is for free  and Photo Mechanic charges 139 USD I believe.

Per Inge Oestmoen

• NG Member
  • Long Live NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 02:15:39 »

[...]

They will continue to offer the plan for 9 USD per month but LR only (no LR Classic).  If you continue to use Photoshop in addition to LR, you will have to pay 19 USD per month.   The disk space in the cloud is increased to 1TB, though.

As for me, I'm happy to have unsubscribed it last December.

Nobody should accept being dependent on subscription-based or activation-crippled software, ever.

It is not simple. It is not effortless. It is however the only course of action that will work to the benefit of all photographers and all computer users.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway
"Noise reduction is just another word for image destruction"

Per Inge Oestmoen

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 13:54:25 »
There is another difference between FastStone and Photo Mechanic.  FastStone is for free  and Photo Mechanic charges 139 USD I believe.

True but I find Photo Mechanic invaluable for ingesting images. The time saved makes it a sound investment for me. Of course your needs may differ.
FastStone does not have the ingest features I need, and adobe Bridge is so painfully slow.
Bez

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 15:35:55 »
As I understand it:
The $20 Subscription offer was for a very different kind of subscription from the regular $10 one.

The $10 per month subscription (which is still available) gives you the apps. but you only get 20 GB of Creative Cloud Storage which is probably all that many people need.

However those who use Lr CC or the iPad apps (which are Cloud-based) can rapidly run out of storage space and the $20 per month subscription would provide 1 TB of Creative Cloud Storage space.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 21:27:42 »

Nobody should accept being dependent on subscription-based or activation-crippled software, ever.

It is not simple. It is not effortless. It is however the only course of action that will work to the benefit of all photographers and all computer users.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway

Photography is not restricted to subscription-based software. There are alternatives. Having said that, I must also point out that many of us like the subscription-based choice. What I do not understand is being told that I should not accept that choice.
Carl

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 03:15:48 »
I don't see much difference between subscription and non-...both are an ongoing expense, assuming one needs to accommodate OS changes and new camera support over a period of years.  My only issue with subscription is that if you stop paying, the functioning of the software is disabled.  On perpetual license, if you stop updating (= stop paying), the software remains functional but without any further camera or OS updates. Net cost should be similar, longterm, but in the current Adobe example, it's a little higher to subscribe compared to the old Lightroom approx. 18-month update $$ model.
I am weighing subscribing to Lightroom for access to new features. 
The new Lightroom competitors, like ON1 and Luminar, seem like they're...well...about 5 or 7 years behind Adobe in terms of the refinement of the software.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 10:13:09 »
The subscription model is more costly for LR but cheaper for PS.
Anthony Macaulay

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 12:20:53 »
If I were professional photographer, I would never mind subscribing CC for 9.80 USD per month, and would think the fee is just fair.

The thing is that I'm not professional, I've never done or been in need of any of the batch process, I don't need catalog, and so on.

I enjoy panoramas, but ICE (Image Composit Editor) of Microsoft has been vastly improved over the years and doesn't look any inferior to Photomerge, so far as the resulted images are concerned.  (I have to admit that converting the X-Trans RAW files to TIFF in Capture One before stitching is way more clumsier than Photomerge, though)

Also, the development of the digital cameras help reduce the need of extensive post process.  In addition, the last versions of Capture NXD (with the reintroduced U-Point) I used was very good, and Capture One Express for my current Fuji cameras are simply amazing and extremely easy to use.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira